The Student Room Group

Benedict Cumberbatch apologises...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/benedict-cumberbatch-apologises-for-coloured-actors-comment-10004176.html?icn=puff-3

Benedict Cumberbatch has apologised after talking about “coloured actors” on US television, saying he had been “an idiot” and was “devastated to have caused offence”.

Scroll to see replies

Indeed he is,an idiot.
Good thing he apologised.
I didn't even realise that "coloured" was deemed a racist term... Anyway, wasn't he highlighting a very real issue of racism in the industry? Should that perhaps be the focus rather than a particular word he used?
It would be embarrassing enough saying that to a few people at dinner let alone on TV to everyone!
Original post by Chlorophile
I didn't even realise that "coloured" was deemed a racist term... Anyway, wasn't he highlighting a very real issue of racism in the industry? Should that perhaps be the focus rather than a particular word he used?

That's the thing. He highlighted the issue and yet used an outdated term.
The fact that he was clueless about it does not excuse him. However, he reacted accordingly and apologised.
I don't really see why an apology is necessary in the face of well-meaning ignorance.
I don't really see what the issue is.

I can't see any other term that he could have used- 'black' would be inappropriate given that he was talking about all ethnic minorities.

When I was little, 'coloured' was the politically correct term. It never made much sense to me, given that everyone has skin of some colour- nobody's transparent- but it was what I was taught to use. 'Black' was (and still is, to many of my friends) derogatory, and 'people of colour' sounds ridiculous.

Most importantly, he was talking about a very real issue and there was no intent to offend.
Reply 8
I don't see why the PC term is 'people of colour' but saying 'coloured people' is offensive? Give him a break ffs.

Soon we'll have to apologise for looking at non-white people in case it causes offense.
Reply 9
Don't the radlibs use the term 'people of colour', so what is wrong with him using 'coloured people'?

Another example of idiots looking for any excuse to attack the 'nasty white man'. Nothing wrong with him, shouldn't apologize.
I thought coloured was the correct term. As it encompasses all ethic minorities.
I thought it was considered racist to call people 'black' but okay to say that they were 'coloured'?!

I'm so behind the times :confused:
His apology is a bit exaggerated imo. youd assume he'd said something far worse.
Reply 13
Original post by Arkasia
Another example of idiots looking for any excuse to attack the 'nasty white man'. Nothing wrong with him, shouldn't apologize.

Exactly.

Look at the meaning; he's criticizing the lack of opportunities for black coloured non white people of a different race, not promoting it...
Original post by Chlorophile
Neither did I. It's not a word I use very often, but at the end of the day it's a word. On hearing the word 'coloured' used in this kind of context I don't think 'racist ****,' I think they are simply referring to people who aren't white.

People need to stop being so politically correct; it's damaging society's capacity to be honest about and with each other.
Reply 15
There are some people who would actually prefer that to being called 'black', so what do you say? He apologised in the end to show that he genuinely had no intent to offend, in which case who cares anyway; people should look at the context. His apology being so lengthy has made it sound as if it was a massive deal and so the focus is now on the meaningless aspect of the what he was saying on the show.
White people have absolutely no right to use terms like coloured
Original post by Queen Cersei
It would be embarrassing enough saying that to a few people at dinner let alone on TV to everyone!

I think your first link to the BBC is incorrect
Over-sensitive babies. I suppose he had to apologise because he has to cater to whiny Americans for career reasons, but my god people ae pathetic these days.
I don't particularly care.

He was talking coloured actors getting more opportunities in acting so he clearly wasn't attempting to be malicious
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending