I smell a hint of protectionism??
Reply 2
Step 1: Make cheap knock-off of a quality product
Step 2: Lobby for legislation to make the original product illegal
Step 3: Profit!

Good old free market economy.
Chocolate is sweetend poison
It is the will of the Free Market.
I wonder how badly this will affect Cadbury's... I seem to recall they were in financial trouble at one point but I couldn't live without their delicious treats!
Reply 6
You're just posting links to news. Can't you at least give an initial opinion of your own rather than simply posting links? That way it won't come across like someone just saying 'discuss.'

On-topic, I am not surprized. American companies generally believe that American products and American money are the be-all and end-all. Not only that but as they've accused the originators of these products of copyright infringement, they clearly don't know much about intelectual property; also if the recipes are slightly different maybe Cadbury's should consider no longer allowing Hershey's to manufacture their products unless they use the same recipe as is used here.
Original post by Tootles
You're just posting links to news. Can't you at least give an initial opinion of your own rather than simply posting links? That way it won't come across like someone just saying 'discuss.'

On-topic, I am not surprized. American companies generally believe that American products and American money are the be-all and end-all. Not only that but as they've accused the originators of these products of copyright infringement, they clearly don't know much about intelectual property; also if the recipes are slightly different maybe Cadbury's should consider no longer allowing Hershey's to manufacture their products unless they use the same recipe as is used here.

Haha fair enough, I thought my thread title emphasized my position on this but I can expand!

I think as there is a 'slight' difference in recipe that the UK produced chocolate should still be allowed and it is rather harsh on the people who have enjoyed these products to be denied them (imagine being english living in America and now you can't get cadburys!)

Also, I agree about what you say about Hershey's not being allowed over here if it's going to played like that. Personally I find Hershey's chocolate horrible!
Reply 8
We are so addicted to such a destructive product, we are actively outraged when it is removed from the market.

"Give us our chocolate back, how dare you remove our opportunities to get diabetes!"
Hahahahaha Hersey's must know that their chocolate is horrible compared to Cadbury's :cool::colondollar:
Original post by Queen Cersei
Haha fair enough, I thought my thread title emphasized my position on this but I can expand!

I think as there is a 'slight' difference in recipe that the UK produced chocolate should still be allowed and it is rather harsh on the people who have enjoyed these products to be denied them (imagine being english living in America and now you can't get cadburys!)

Also, I agree about what you say about Hershey's not being allowed over here if it's going to played like that. Personally I find Hershey's chocolate horrible!
I didn't say they shouldn't be allowed over here :p: I said that if there's going to be copyright lawsuits and whatever, then Cadbury's shouldn't allow Hershey's to manufacture and distribute their interpretations of Cadbury's chocolates, which would appear to be slightly-altered Cadbury's recipes which are used under some nature of licensing agreement: that being the case, Cadbury's should either:

Terminate the licensing agreement; thereby preventing Hershey's to profit from future sales of their imitations of British chocolates.

Alter, at their earliest convenience, the terms of the agreement such as to force Hershey's to use the exact same recipes and production methods as Cadbury's; thereby removing the need for 'grey-market' imports and providing for what is quite an obvious gap in the US market.

Utterly shocking. Our American brethren should not be forced to eat an inferior product.

Cadbury's should terminate the licensing agreement and enter the US themselves.

Original post by Arkasia
We are so addicted to such a destructive product, we are actively outraged when it is removed from the market.

"Give us our chocolate back, how dare you remove our opportunities to get diabetes!"

Chocolate is not eaten in sufficient quantities by most people to really be blamed. The reason you end up with Diabetes is the tonne of added sugar in processed carbohydrates.
Original post by Rakas21
Utterly shocking. Our American brethren should not be forced to eat an inferior product.

Chocolate is not eaten in sufficient quantities by most people to really be blamed. The reason you end up with Diabetes is the tonne of added sugar in processed carbohydrates.

'your american brethen' ... ha ha ha ha ha ha
Original post by Tootles
I didn't say they shouldn't be allowed over here :p: I said that if there's going to be copyright lawsuits and whatever, then Cadbury's shouldn't allow Hershey's to manufacture and distribute their interpretations of Cadbury's chocolates, which would appear to be slightly-altered Cadbury's recipes which are used under some nature of licensing agreement: that being the case, Cadbury's should either:

Terminate the licensing agreement; thereby preventing Hershey's to profit from future sales of their imitations of British chocolates.

Alter, at their earliest convenience, the terms of the agreement such as to force Hershey's to use the exact same recipes and production methods as Cadbury's; thereby removing the need for 'grey-market' imports and providing for what is quite an obvious gap in the US market.

I see what you are saying, it will be interesting to see if Cadbury's do react and if they take one of the routes you have suggested.
WISPA it quietly but Cadbury's will get in a TWIRL over this match-TWIXing from Hershey's.

It MARS the goodwill between the two companies while rivals around the globe fill the room with SNICKERS.

FLAKE or break time now for Cadbury's.
I cant understand the rationale behind doing this, its absurd. If its a food regulatory issue, then the US is hypocritical seeing as they dont really give two dangs about peoples health when it coms to food and supplements.
So sad :sad: I will have to smuggle Mini Eggs to my sister without anyone finding out :tongue: :ninja: :beard:
Original post by Rakas21

Cadbury's is a mega-corporation who cares little for the consumer. We don't need their chocolate to survive nor to thrive, and due to the nature of the market in the US, one or more brands will spring up out of the ashes. Cadbury's is being banned, not chocolate in general.
From what I recall it's really expense to buy Cadbury's in the states. I don't think they will miss it!
Original post by marco14196
I cant understand the rationale behind doing this, its absurd. If its a food regulatory issue, then the US is hypocritical seeing as they dont really give two dangs about peoples health when it coms to food and supplements.

Nothing to do with the government itself.

What's happened is that an American company has been allowed to produce Cadbury's but the US regulations allow them to make a product which apparently tastes worse so a lot of businesses import the real thing from here. That company has decided that under the terms of the agreement, they can stop the imports.

Quick Reply