The Student Room Group

Failed my first driving test today.. was the examiner a bit harsh?!

Failed today on my first attempt, the overall drive went really well even if I did take one wrong turn...!
3 minors and 1 serious. 1 of the minors was for getting the questions wrong at the start!
The examiner was a really nice bloke, pulled in at the end he was nice and cheerful "right you can switch off now" and then suddenly turns into a miserable fart and told me I didn't make it through. Apparently I didn't check over my right shoulder on the left reverse even though i had the drivers window open and was consistently looking through it and listening for anyone coming!

And not to mention a minor for turning right at a mini roundabout.. my signal cancelled itself, I put it back on again and it just cancelled itself again and he gave me a minor for incorrect use of signals?!

So annoyed with myself that I was so close on the first try but for one tiny mistake which he saw as serious.

Never mind... using one of those cancellation checker websites and have a new test in 2 weeks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's a difference between having the window open and looking through it, and actually making effective observations at the correct time. You might have looked, but left it too long after looking to actually go. Or you might have looked through the window, and thus not at the blind spot area over your shoulder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TaajMan
Failed today on my first attempt, the overall drive went really well even if I did take one wrong turn...!
3 minors and 1 serious. 1 of the minors was for getting the questions wrong at the start!
The examiner was a really nice bloke, pulled in at the end he was nice and cheerful "right you can switch off now" and then suddenly turns into a miserable fart and told me I didn't make it through. Apparently I didn't check over my right shoulder on the left reverse even though i had the drivers window open and was consistently looking through it and listening for anyone coming!

And not to mention a minor for turning right at a mini roundabout.. my signal cancelled itself, I put it back on again and it just cancelled itself again and he gave me a minor for incorrect use of signals?!

So annoyed with myself that I was so close on the first try but for one tiny mistake which he saw as serious.

Never mind... using one of those cancellation checker websites and have a new test in 2 weeks

Not checking your blind spot isn't a tiny mistake it's an actual fail
Reply 3
Original post by Ethereal
Not checking your blind spot isn't a tiny mistake it's an actual fail

So do you think by saying 'you didn't look over your right shoulder' he meant my blind spot as opposed to looking over it whilst reversing?

Because I was quite confused as obviously I looked out of the back window over my left shoulder and stopped to do all round checks. Maybe I didn't look over my right shoulder (blind-spot) before starting to reverse. Can't actually remember now.. lol
I remember when I was learning my instructor always told me to exaggerate when I was looking over my shoulders because that is what the instructor is looking for. You just HAVE to do certain things to pass your test!
Original post by TaajMan
So do you think by saying 'you didn't look over your right shoulder' he meant my blind spot as opposed to looking over it whilst reversing?

Because I was quite confused as obviously I looked out of the back window over my left shoulder and stopped to do all round checks. Maybe I didn't look over my right shoulder (blind-spot) before starting to reverse. Can't actually remember now.. lol

That's what a rear view mirror's for.
Reply 6
Original post by King Leonidas

My instructor has always said look out of the back window when reversing because you're going backwards.. just check your mirror from time to time?

I agree (that what I do now that I have passed) but in the exam they want to see you looking out the back windscreen so looking over your shoulder is a must
Original post by TaajMan
My instructor has always said look out of the back window when reversing because you're going backwards.. just check your mirror from time to time?

That's silly, you can see everything behind you by observing through the rear view mirror (without neglecting what's in front of you).

I would only look through the back mirror if I was reversing into an awkward/tight spot.
Reply 9
That's silly, you can see everything behind you by observing through the rear view mirror (without neglecting what's in front of you).

I would only look through the back mirror if I was reversing into an awkward/tight spot.

I have to agree, although on the test you obviously have to spin your head round constantly, which is a bit daft as you wouldn't do it in real life.

Come to think of it, when do you reverse around a corner?:colondollar:
Original post by TaajMan

Hahahahaha the only manoeuvre that is actually useful now is a three point turn :wink:
Original post by TaajMan
I have to agree, although on the test you obviously have to spin your head round constantly, which is a bit daft as you wouldn't do it in real life.

Yeah, make sure you profusely spin your head during the test:biggrin:

Ermm I passed my test 3 years ago and have seldom reversed around a corner of a road. However, I have reversed around buildings and cars, which could be considered a 'corner'.

I
Reply 12
Original post by Tilds1997
Hahahahaha the only manoeuvre that is actually useful now is a three point turn :wink:

That's what I thought! And apparently they're thinking about scrapping it from the test?! :confused:
Reply 13
Yeah, make sure you profusely spin your head during the test:biggrin:

Ermm I passed my test 3 years ago and have seldom reversed around a corner of a road. However, I have reversed around buildings and cars, which could be considered a 'corner'.

I

Ah yeah, fair enough.

And don't worry, might grease up my neck before the next one so my head is all over the place:tongue:

Confident I can get it as long as my observation on the manoeuvre is spot on.
yes I heard about that! They also want to test people on using a satnav... I don't even have a satnav! I like an good old fashion map :rolleyes:
I failed my first one for "not stopping at a zebra crossing" when some man was just loitering 3 metres away showing no intent to cross, and all other traffic besides me was also just driving over it. Totally convinced I'd passed til he told me at the end, and I couldn't even have guessed where I failed! You win some you lose some.

Maybe he didn't see you checking, maybe you didn't check properly, hard to tell from your description. There is a blind spot that you can't see just looking out the driver's window, unless you throw your whole body out and somehow curve around to look. The one you check if you're changing lanes on the motorway. I guess you now know for next time! :P
Original post by seaholme
I guess you now know for next time!

Yeah the best thing you can take out of this situation is that you know how to prepare for next time (and hopefully pass)!
Original post by Tilds1997

Usefulness is not the thing being tested. Complete and safe control of the vehicle at all times is.

Original post by TaajMan
That's what I thought! And apparently they're thinking about scrapping it from the test?! :confused:

Maybe just the newspapers drumming up a story. I hope the DVSA does not - it would be a retrograde step in my opinion.

Reversing around a corner is tested precisely because it's a difficult manoeuvre and catches a lot of people. How seldom one ever needs to use it is of no consequence. (Actually, you would be surprised that it's needed more often than one would think. Reversing out of a garage drive into the traffic flow is very common but not recommended. Similarly, reversing a vehicle onto a driveway from a road or into a parking space are other instances.)

It requires co-ordination, alertness, control and awareness all around the vehicle and from three traffic directions under pressure.

The poster who said 'exaggerate' everything has the right idea.

As for rear view mirrors when reversing, the good habit is the act of turning to look in the mirror because it forces you to swivel your head and at the same time check to see that there is still no traffic approaching from the front of the vehicle which your offside-front may swing into as the vehicle reverses around the corner.

The same goes for looking over your right shoulder at the blind spot.

Laziness and poor concentration in parking and reversing manoeuvres is an absolute bastard when someone does it to your parked vehicle but then drives off without accepting responsibility for the damage they caused.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TaajMan

Yes. from the sound of it you moved off unsafely
Reply 19
Original post by Ethereal
Yes. from the sound of it you moved off unsafely

Thanks for the feedback.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending