The Student Room Group

Dad jailed for giving dying daughter medicinal cannabis.

Scroll to see replies

Drugs should be allowed for medical purposes because they can help suffering patients, drugs like paracetamol are used and paracetamol is very dangerous to take recreationally as are a lot of medicine all medicines are drugs really so banning medicinal cannabis doesn't make sense.I would allow people to take medicinal cannabis with a prescription.
Original post by Dalek1099
Drugs should be allowed for medical purposes because they can help suffering patients, drugs like paracetamol are used and paracetamol is very dangerous to take recreationally as are a lot of medicine all medicines are drugs really so banning medicinal cannabis doesn't make sense.I would allow people to take medicinal cannabis with a prescription.

Who takes paracetamol recreationally though? Paracetamol is only meant to become addictive if it's combined with codeine. Cannabis isn't really comparable to paracetamol either, but rather perhaps something like tobacco. I see your point though.

This is a very sad situation, and I think the courts ought to show more leniency in these exceptional circumstances. A small fine may have been appropriate, but jailing the father seems very harsh. They didn't even jail the man who aided his wife getting to Switzerland so she could receive euthanasia. Similar compassion should be shown here.
Original post by Wade-
I'm not a scientologist at all, I obviously had realised that came from them. Most of those facts I listed are also backed up by talk to frank.

Not much other then dilute the cannabis extract, I really don't understand why people who don't understand pharmaceuticals are debating, it's non-sensical.

Wow quoting the daily mail, tsr's and left wing government sceptics favourite website. I understand they don't always have your best interest at heart but from the tax side of things they'd stand to make millions more by simply legalising drug that is 'harmless', it certainly seems in their best interest to do that

I don't need to, other website tell you the results of studies.

You are talking about recreational use with this guy though; he isn't not a doctor or pharmacist so even though he administered for a medical purpose in the eyes of the law it's recreational and that applies to all drugs not just illegal ones.

I don't think I'm smarter than people like that but do remember at points throughout history scientists have thought that it would be impossible fly into space and that meteorites didn't exist, hence why I said there are very few 'facts' in science it wasn't so long ago doctors thought smoking was good for you.

You still haven't actually given any good reason as to why the government can't legalise cannabis, you've just made vague comments. I do not blindly follow the law, when I break the law (which is rarely) I accept that I'm doing so at my own risk and would not complain if I faced the consequences.

I haven't told anyone how to live their life, I don't know where you keep getting these assumptions from. It must be hard being such a government sceptic but having to accept that you'll always have to live under them and that's probably why you're so riled up.

You really veer off at the end, I don't think there are any countries where someone would be executed for taking drugs. The point I believe you're commenting on was where I said American law is not something we should base our law on because their legal system is so backwards that they still execute people, in some palaces they even still use firing squads

Posted from TSR Mobile

The reason i haven't bothered to form a detailed argument, and this may seem like a cop out but it's true - I've spent too much time in the past arguing with people like you, and you never listen to facts or reason.

I really am done now, although i will say, there are countries where drug dealers are executed and users face severe punishment (Saudi Arabia) such as lashings (google the pics at your own risk).
Reply 43
Original post by Wade-
I'm not a scientologist at all, I obviously had realised that came from them.

So why on earth would you get your drug "facts" from scientologists? :s-smilie:

Original post by Wade-

Not much other then dilute the cannabis extract, I really don't understand why people who don't understand pharmaceuticals are debating, it's non-sensical.

Quite. Oh hang on.

Original post by Wade-

I'm not going to pretend I understand pharmaceuticals but the drug they sell with cannabis in is only a derivative, do not pretend they simply sell cannabis in tablet form.

Sativex is not a derivative, it is cannabis, not in tablet form but a spray.

Original post by Wade-
I understand they don't always have your best interest at heart but from the tax side of things they'd stand to make millions more by simply legalising drug that is 'harmless', it certainly seems in their best interest to do that

Prohibition has been inflicted on the world by the US through the UN, a number of industries have grown through prohibition and benefit significantly from it. Politicians benefit too, those industries that benefit will of course appreciate a continuation of prohibition and it's very easy to whip up an irrational fear of drugs amongst the public and a tough stance has traditionally gone down well with the electorate, many of whom still see drug use as sinful. We don't need to look for some big conspiracy(though if that's your thing the CIA are partial to a spot of drug trafficking) just vested interests.
Reply 44
Original post by n00
So why on earth would you get your drug "facts" from scientologists? :s-smilie:

As I said because I didn't realise, please read.

Original post by n00
Sativex is not a derivative, it is cannabis, not in tablet form but a spray.

...along with other things.

Original post by n00
Prohibition has been inflicted on the world by the US through the UN, a number of industries have grown through prohibition and benefit significantly from it. Politicians benefit too, those industries that benefit will of course appreciate a continuation of prohibition and it's very easy to whip up an irrational fear of drugs amongst the public and a tough stance has traditionally gone down well with the electorate, many of whom still see drug use as sinful. We don't need to look for some big conspiracy(though if that's your thing the CIA are partial to a spot of drug trafficking) just vested interests.

I take it you have evidence from reliable sources (as you were so quick to criticise mine) that backs all of that up, so could you please provide links to those.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry liberals cannabis doesn't cure cancer.

But anyway did he expect?

He should have saw this coming and he should have been descreet with it.

And no cannabis isn't the best pain relief from chemo..........

Keeping him away from his daughter is however wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46
Reply 47
Original post by Wade-
I thought not

Course not, would take forever.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ESPORTIVA
Sorry liberals cannabis doesn't cure cancer.

And no cannabis isn't the best pain relief from chemo..........

Lol don't think many are trying to claim that strongly, but as a form of pain relief it is effective.

What is? Any opiate based painkillers are given in careful dosages, often not enough to cause significant pain relief due to the dangers of giving them in such amounts...even when patients are potentially terminal..much logic.

My aunt is dead, so luckily no jail for her, but certainly when she had very bad periods of MS, no pain relief she could be offered was anywhere near as effective as cannabis, especially at reducing the painful joint spasms in her legs.

I mean she tried smoking it to be blunt (lol), this guy is using oil, a better option. Opiates are as drugs more damaging to us and are illegal of course, so I do not see the issue with cannabinoid based medications, which would be less addictive and have less negative side-effects than opiates such as morphine et al, if they have a positive effect?

(oh and no, I don't smoke cannabis, never have, never had any inclination to)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by n00
Course not, would take forever.

Would take forever to post some links to reliable websites that prove your insane claim?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by Wade-
Would take forever to post some links to reliable websites that prove your insane claim?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How exactly is it insane?

It would take forever to source the whole thing, anything in particular in there you take exception to?
Reply 51
Original post by n00
How exactly is it insane?

It would take forever to source the whole thing, anything in particular in there you take exception to?

Believing something without credible evidence is insane in my opinion

The fact you think he UN really has any influence over western countries, the fact you think politicians are essentially bribed to make marijuana sound worse than it is, I'm pretty sure that there isn't no specific mention of drugs being sinful. Essential I'm doubting everything you said and without proof it's no more ridiculous for me to believe that Ringo Starr was actually murdered by Queen Elizabeth II and replaced in The Beatles by Adolf Hitler who underwent extensive plastic surgery to look like Ringo Starr

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by Wade-
Essential I'm doubting everything you said

Ah well nevermind.
Reply 53
Original post by n00
Ah well nevermind.

You just prove you have no evidence to support any of what you said, conspiracy theorists love to try and provide what they think is credible evidence to support their asinine beliefs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joey11223
Lol don't think many are trying to claim that strongly, but as a form of pain relief it is effective.

What is? Any opiate based painkillers are given in careful dosages, often not enough to cause significant pain relief due to the dangers of giving them in such amounts...even when patients are potentially terminal..much logic.

My aunt is dead, so luckily no jail for her, but certainly when she had very bad periods of MS, no pain relief she could be offered was anywhere near as effective as cannabis, especially at reducing the painful joint spasms in her legs.

I mean she tried smoking it to be blunt (lol), this guy is using oil, a better option. Opiates are as drugs more damaging to us and are illegal of course, so I do not see the issue with cannabinoid based medications, which would be less addictive and have less negative side-effects than opiates such as morphine et al, if they have a positive effect?

(oh and no, I don't smoke cannabis, never have, never had any inclination to)

Okay for some it may help but for me it did nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile
She's a two year old ffs. Morphine is very efficacious for pain-relief.

This reminds me of the story of the parents who gave their five year old autistic daughter high-dose THC oil. Generally, it has nothing to do with genuine medical need and everything to do with marjiuana extremists who believe it is actually good for you

I believe drugs should be decriminalised, but what this man did was completely inappropriate.. Doctors can prescribe Sativex (medicalised THC) if they thought it was indicated, clearly they did not. This man has been legitimately punished
Original post by joey11223
Opiates are as drugs more damaging to us

What is the basis for that statement? Leaving aside the addictive properties of opioids, what damage are you claiming opiates cause?

and are illegal of course

So is cannabis.

so I do not see the issue with cannabinoid based medications

They already exist, for example, Sativex. However, the evidence simply does not support the exaggerated claims made by marijuana fanatics who impute to it every beneficial and salutary effect imaginable

which would be less addictive and have less negative side-effects than opiates such as morphine et al, if they have a positive effect?

What negative side affects are you referring to? If anything, THC might well be worse in children.

There is clear evidence showing that the use of cannabis by children can lead to developmental problems, higher risk of mental illness and anxiety issues, and on average a lower IQ

Opiates do not have those side-effects or harms associated with them. In fact, opiates prescribed for medical purposes are remarkably safe and patients typically do not have difficulty coming off them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wade-
No it was from a website called drug free world which is non profit organisation unlike Scientology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my god, seriously? That is a terrible source of information as they are clearly very bias and against the use of any drugs. The statistics you gave are most likely incredibly skewed and twisted. If you want to cite those claims and pretend to have done proper research, cite them from credible sources and scientific articles. In which case I will read the articles and decide whether those statistics you gave are in fact what are implied.
Reply 58
Original post by young_guns
She's a two year old ffs. Morphine is very efficacious for pain-relief.

This reminds me of the story of the parents who gave their five year old autistic daughter high-dose THC oil. Generally, it has nothing to do with genuine medical need and everything to do with marjiuana extremists who believe it is actually good for you

I believe drugs should be decriminalised, but what this man did was completely inappropriate.. Doctors can prescribe Sativex (medicalised THC) if they thought it was indicated, clearly they did not. This man has been legitimately punished

But giving a child alcohol, paracetamol, dietary supplements or even aspirin shouldn't be punished?
Reply 59
Original post by SophieSmall
Oh my god, seriously? That is a terrible source of information as they are clearly very bias and against the use of any drugs. The statistics you gave are most likely incredibly skewed and twisted. If you want to cite those claims and pretend to have done proper research, cite them from credible sources and scientific articles. In which case I will read the articles and decide whether those statistics you gave are in fact what are implied.

Clearly you ignored when I said that talk to frank also backs up almost all of those claims. It's funny that you don't believe a Scientology website but you're happy to side with someone who believes that the CIA are international drug smugglers and that tobacco companies pay politicians to keep cannabis illegal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending