The Student Room Group

Applying for US Universites

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was wondering if there was anyone with experience of applying to the US as an international student or who are currently doing so? I know some of you may think "oh here we go, another one wants to go to the US" but i really seriously want to go. I dont care how hard it will be i want to try anyway and i was looking for some advice on what to search for in universities when im applying so that can get a general idea of where to start. If you have some advice that would be absolutely amazing!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied last year. What are your specific questions? It's hard to answer something that isn't at least a little pinpointed. It'd also be useful to know more about you academically, and financially, too (will you need financial aid/scholarships to attend?).
Reply 2
I'm half through my first year of studying at sixth form AS level doing Biology, Chemistry, Art and English Literature. My GCSE average is 6.3 and i did 12 1/2 GCSE's. If it helps my GCSE grades were:
Maths A
English Lit A
English Lang A
Art A
Graphics A
Chinese (Cantonese) A
Chemistry B
Biology B
Physics B
RE (Full Course) B
P.E (Short Course) B
German C
Geography C
My parents told me not to worry about financial aid yet so i i'm mainly looking for stuff based on Academic Qualifications.
What are Major and Minor subjects?
Is the BSc different from the Major and Minor?
What are SAT's and ACT's and do i do them before or after i apply for college?
I dont know if anything helped or if anything makes sense but if it does then coolios :smile:
You won't choose major and minor subjects normally until after the second year as the first 2 years are general education. Basically they are the subject that your degree is in with more emphasis on the major. For example you could graduate with a major in biology and a minor in chemistry.

The BSc is the name/type of degree that you will graduate with. Typically speaking a 4 year undergraduate degree will be a bachelors and will be BSc (bachelors in science) or BA (bachelor in arts). This is what will appear on your diploma and what you will list on your CV once you graduate.

SATs and ACTs are entrance exams and you will likely be required to sit one of them in order to be given an offer of admission. Have a look at this website as there's lots of info on there which should help you:

http://www.fulbright.org.uk/study-in-the-usa/undergraduate-study/admissions-tests
Reply 4
Where were you thinking of applying? In terms of SATs, you would need to take them this calendar year (2015) so that when you apply to American schools (Nov-Jan) you already have your SAT scores. This would mean starting to prepare now, so that you can take them in June. If you want more time then you can take them in October latest, but I'd suggest taking them in June first so that you have some experience, then again in October (you can repeat as many times as you like). They're quite different to exams you have over here and very intense (nearly 4hours) so it would definitely be a good idea to get as much experience as possible.

US schools place quite a lot of emphasis on SATs, as they're the only way of comparing all students from around the world. Therefore it's very important that you do well!
Reply 6
Original post by feyy
I applied last year. What are your specific questions? It's hard to answer something that isn't at least a little pinpointed. It'd also be useful to know more about you academically, and financially, too (will you need financial aid/scholarships to attend?).

Did you end up going to a university in the US?
Reply 7
Original post by tink1
Did you end up going to a university in the US?

I took a gap year; I enroll this August/September (:
Reply 8
Taking a gap year would really help. I might do that. That way i can get more experience for what i want to do considering its an EXTREMELY competitive subject apparently

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by laurentk

My parents told me not to worry about financial aid yet so i i'm mainly looking for stuff based on Academic Qualifications.

Does this mean that you don't need financial aid? If not, the advice would be completely different.

Taking a gap year would really help. I might do that. That way i can get more experience for what i want to do considering its an EXTREMELY competitive subject apparently

I applied before my gap year and then deferred my enrollment, so I don't have much advice on that front I'm afraid.
Reply 10
Original post by feyy
Does this mean that you don't need financial aid? If not, the advice would be completely different.

I applied before my gap year and then deferred my enrollment, so I don't have much advice on that front I'm afraid.

Well i dont know about the financial aid because my parents told me to pick without thinking about that yet because they wanted me to pick freely without that burden? So have no idea........

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I know its not really much help so if you cant help its fine lol XD its my fault

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Well i dont know about the financial aid because my parents told me to pick without thinking about that yet because they wanted me to pick freely without that burden? So have no idea........

That's totally the wrong way of thinking if you're not like, insanely rich and able to afford the full sticker price.
Reply 13
Original post by feyy
That's totally the wrong way of thinking if you're not like, insanely rich and able to afford the full sticker price.

Ikr...thats what i told them so ive been looking at that stuff myself as well. Ive been looking into scholarship applications. And for the universities i would like to go toi have looked at the financial aid available for international students

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
But the problem is i can only find scholarships for sport for those in europe. There are other ones as well for sciences but theyre all for people in the caribbean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
I was wondering if there was anyone with experience of applying to the US as an international student or who are currently doing so? I know some of you may think "oh here we go, another one wants to go to the US" but i really seriously want to go. I dont care how hard it will be i want to try anyway and i was looking for some advice on what to search for in universities when im applying so that can get a general idea of where to start. If you have some advice that would be absolutely amazing!

I applied a while ago, you need to do the SATs or ACTs in order to apply. Most colleges accept 1600-1700 (average) but 1800+ is what you want to be aiming for, Harvard for example has an average SAT score of 2000 (6% are admitted) I believe and plenty of funding available :wink:

What subjects are you looking at? What are you extra curricular activities? If you have a sporting background you'll do better.
Reply 16
Original post by tehFrance
Harvard for example has an average SAT score of 2000

More like 2200+
Reply 17
Original post by feyy
More like 2200+

Yep. I found that out straight away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by feyy
More like 2200+

Yes and no, I think it's actually 2120 :smile:

Still I know a couple that got in at under 2120 but there sports were A+++ :h:
Reply 19
Original post by tehFrance
Yes and no, I think it's actually 2120 :smile:

Still I know a couple that got in at under 2120 but there sports were A+++ :h:

Incoming freshmen for the Class of 2017 reported their average SAT score to be 2237.

And yeah, some get in under. But only 25% or so of each incoming class had under 2100 so the higher the better to increase chances (we can't all be Olympic athletes, after all). (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending