The Student Room Group

Why should it be acceptable for women to look like this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ParadiseFound
it's not acceptable for someone to do this to themselves.
Should we set up an Obesity Police Force to round them up and put them in diet camps until they conform to the socially accepted standard?
Original post by Simes
Should we set up an Obesity Police Force to round them up and put them in diet camps until they conform to the socially accepted standard?

Wouldn't be a bad idea considering it will be the tax payer paying for her healthcare when she collapses.

All i'm saying is if this person was in my family or was a close friend of mine, i'd let them know they need to sort this out. Spoon feeding (see what I did) isn't going to help. I stand with Katie Hopkins on this.

People with anorexia and body issues face a lot of stick from society, are told to eat more, called lamposts etc but it's seemingly ok for people to balloon themselves to ridiculous sizes. It's not socially acceptable for someone to be underweight and those who are often recieve lots of advice and help to get them back on track but it's seemingly normal to be obese these days.
I think the women are pretty and have a distinctive style :smile:

Who gave them permission? Who says they need permission from anyone other than themselves? If we all waited for permission, approval and acceptance in life we'd have no power or control. What's the harm in another human being feeling confident in themselves? I see it as something to celebrate not to put down.

We don't know their story. But even if we do suppose they are not healthy due to being overweight, they are not really hurting anyone other than themselves.
Reply 23
it's seemingly normal to be obese these days.
Then why victimise them if it is normal?
Original post by Chriswhjay
More to the point why is it becoming accepted that fat is good?

Our bodies are NOT designed to be obese or severely overweight. It leads to problems with most of your internal organs, puts excess stress of the legs and joints, and can cause diabetes which leads to a whole new plethora of problems! All this nonsense about curvy being sexy is one thing, and fair enough if people like their women curvy thats their prerogative. But I find it dreadful that we are getting to the stage in a society whereby fat people are being celebrated for being fat as if its something they should be proud about.

See somebody gets it, its something that shouldnt be acceptable. Its crippling public health and damaging the health service and economy at large and people want to accept it? Look I will never go up to someone and offend them about their weight but Id advise them to lessen it so that they dont become a threat to themselves
Original post by Simes

Because it shouldn't be.

Imagine if there was a waif like anorexic woman on the OP, proclaiming her lifestyle to be superior and calling herself a real woman. People would say she needs help and medical attention, rightly so.

People who harm their bodies like this should get help. As with alcoholics, excessive drug takers and so forth.
Lol, she's a plus size model. I saw her article on Buzzfeed.
Also the starter of the #effyourbeautystandards hashtag.
Reply 27
Original post by marco14196
See somebody gets it, its something that shouldnt be acceptable. Its crippling public health and damaging the health service and economy at large and people want to accept it?
If they die before they start drawing a pension then they are saving the economy a fortune.

Ditto if they die of heart disease before Alzheimer's or any of those other slow-degradation, high-maintenance diseases kick in in old age.

Smokers, heavy drinkers and salad-dodgers save the health service a lot of money, and the former two contribute a lot in tax too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Mason
I have my reasons to judge,and she should care from a health perspective.
Noone wants their sons or daughters to be fat

It actually isn't, but men do not have a fat movement.

that's nonsense. women are far more stigmatized for their size than men. This thread is proof of that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Because it shouldn't be.

Imagine if there was a waif like anorexic woman on the OP, proclaiming her lifestyle to be superior and calling herself a real woman. [...]

There actually is an extraneous need to be skinny in this society though. The massive growth of diet culture and 'thinspiration', dress sizes running differently across stores causing women to feel 'fat' because of numbers although in essence they don't determine anything. Celebrities 'ballooning' to sizes that are actually pretty normal and healthy, cellulite being pointed out, underarm 'flab', catwalk models essentially not being allowed to eat food before a show. Things like this all contribute to a huge pressure on women to be thin in order to not 'offend the eyes' of the general public. I'm not denying that many people will suffer as a result of their weight in terms of health and lifestyle but it really is not up to you to decide what is acceptable and what isn't. People can do whatever the hell they want with their bodies. So if you haven't got anything nice to say then just don't say anything at all?

Original post by F.borne
To be honest I don't particularly care about a persons weight or health that much. In my opinion I don't have the the authority or position to judge things about other people.

The problem with weight is that it isn't really an indicator of a persons health, as is appearance really. You can't tell if someone has a disease just by their weight, it's possible to have diabetes without being overweight and to be overweight and to not have it. Also that weight looks different on different peoples heights and bone structures , people gain weight more or less easily.

This is just my opinion though. I mean I don't go around shaming smokers, because it's their choice. I don't support it but I don't feel I have the right to be judgmental.
If I was health practitioner, and that persons specific one, not just a random doctor, I would probably judge but only looking at the wider scope of someone's health.

It's kind of about health for some people but a lot of the time I don't think people really care that much about health . I mean half the people I follow on social media post pictures of people with skinny legs or six packs and then loads of McDonald's and ice cream.

Don't judge is all I can say. I mean who gives you the right and let's be honest, who cares?

This, this, this. Yes.
Original post by Simes

It is unnatural,as the human body is not meant to be built like that.

Original post by CarpeDiem.
Lol, she's a plus size model. I saw her article on Buzzfeed.
Also the starter of the #effyourbeautystandards hashtag.

So many things, being wrong with that fat movement.
Reply 31
Original post by Blue_Mason
It is unnatural,as the human body is not meant to be built like that.
Flying is unnatural. Splitting families up to study or work away from home is unnatural. Travelling more than 10 mph is unnatural. Tattoos are unnatural. Piercings are unnatural. Marriage is unnatural. Clothes are unnatural. Spectacles, antibiotics, shoes and shampoo are unnatural. Cosmetics, combs, calculators, cars, computers and condoms are unnatural.

Masturbating, picking your nose, incest, paedophilia, murder, fleas, tapeworm and eating raw meat are all natural.

That's not much of an argument.
Whilst contemplating a reply to your question I experienced a fleeting moment of arousal.
Good Lord. You'd need a Rhino horn to get at that Elephant.

Being serious, as a fellow fatty i think that fat acceptance is one of the worst things happening to society. Women are not attractive with fat, they are simply with men who have low standards. Heck, the fact that obesity can make women temporarily infertile should tell you all you need to know.
Because it shouldn't be.

Imagine if there was a waif like anorexic woman on the OP, proclaiming her lifestyle to be superior and calling herself a real woman. People would say she needs help and medical attention, rightly so.

People who harm their bodies like this should get help. As with alcoholics, excessive drug takers and so forth.

As someone who is of a similar size to this girl (I think I am slightly smaller, but not sure), I completely agree with you in that obese people need help to lose weight.

Anorexia and other similar conditions are classed as mental health problems and they can access the medical help they need. Obese people are just considered to be lazy slobs and can't actually get any help from medical services. Why isn't obesity thought of as a mental health issue too? I am pretty certain I have a food addiction, and I am also an emotional eater. I have spoken to my GP about getting help to lose weight as I am at high risk of diabetes because it runs in my family, but I am not entitled to any help on the NHS until I get a weight related medical issue such as diabetes. So I basically have to get ill before I can get help. Even then, the help provided is either a referral to Weight Watchers or to get a gastric band or similar. Nothing to help me change my mindset which is what I need. What is the point of doing Weight Watchers when I already know what is good and bad to eat - I am not stupid!

Also, believe it or not, having random people in the street or on the internet telling me that I am hideous and that I need to lose weight doesn't actually help me at all. Obese people KNOW we are obese and that it isn't healthy. We KNOW that our diet is poor. We KNOW we need to exercise more.
Original post by fluffyowl

Also, believe it or not, having random people in the street or on the internet telling me that I am hideous and that I need to lose weight doesn't actually help me at all. Obese people KNOW we are obese and that it isn't healthy. We KNOW that our diet is poor. We KNOW we need to exercise more.

Then exercise, Goddammit!!!
Original post by donutellme
Then exercise, Goddammit!!!

Do you know me? For all you know I am severely disabled and can't exercise. This is why you shouldn't judge people!!!

I'm not, but I do have mobility issues that are not obesity related, so I find it painful to do a lot of different types of exercise. I also don't really enjoy it, hence why I don't do it!! If I actually wanted to lose weight right now, I would do something about it, but I don't.
they both look hot to me, attraction isn't about size I can be attracted to very small petite skinny girls right up to big large women, really doesn't bother me. people are too focused on becoming perfect, its about being happy and confident about yourself.

Magazines likes Nuts and Zoo only focus on curvy women, where are the smaller and bigger women? Its a negative effect that you have to look a certain way to be attractive, those women in those magazines are attractive but there more than one way of looking sexy.

I do agree that there should be more bigger male models, I rarely see it and men have insecurities just like women. Its brings me to another point that anyone can be a model so end of the day we're all attractive.
Original post by sherlockfan
why should it be acceptable for men to look like this?

I just did a little sick in my mouth.

Original post by KingStannis
imb4 the feminists start complaining that she can look how she wants etc. All true of course. But the fact is that being obese is simply a bad thing, in every respect. These people cost the NHS a fortune. Our taxes prop up their life style choices. Unlike smokers, we don't tax them for the choices they make which impact others, not least their own children. The VERY least we can do is make them feel bad about themselves so they change. This obviously applies to men too, though the whole "body positive" thing doesn't extend as far as men, who are rightly made to feel disgusting.

Seriously, if you have a problem such as being obese, which is of your own causing, and you can solve this problem, then you have no right to complain that this problem makes you unhappy and that it shouldn't.

I'm not a feminist but I think people have the right to look how they want and not suffer abuse for it.
Original post by fluffyowl
Do you know me? For all you know I am severely disabled and can't exercise. This is why you shouldn't judge people!!!

I'm not, but I do have mobility issues that are not obesity related, so I find it painful to do a lot of different types of exercise. I also don't really enjoy it, hence why I don't do it!! If I actually wanted to lose weight right now, I would do something about it, but I don't.

I was actually saying it in jest... :K:

Quick Reply

Latest