The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fallen_acorns
nothing is worth reidicule more then fans being overly humble to try and look better, or save face if they loose.

Much more respect for the fan that comes out and says 'we are going to **** them 5-0' and then holds their hands up after the game, if it does not come true..

heard some people on here trying to make it a win-win by saying their team will loose, so that they can be happy if they win, or right if they loose.. but its just pathetic.

Painfully obvious when someone is doing this.. and easily stands apart from the genuine worried fans, those who do really worry that their team may loose

What I find embarrassing is the fans who think the FA Cup is in the bag already and that getting through the next round in tbe champions league is a given. This team is prone to bottling it and it only takes a few good results for people to forget that it seems.

Let's be honest we rode our luck in the FA cup ties at Wembley last season against teams "we should **** 5-0" according to some.
Original post by sevchenko
I think Wenger and the squad are fully aware of the expectation on them and will perform. They won't take any team lightly

That's the difference between Arsenal and most of the other teams, they will respect the opponent and the competition. Look at City's first choice GK caught on camera saying he doesn't care about the competition, if that happened under Wenger he would never play for the club again.

Van Gaal is taking the competition seriously as well, though I don't think our squad are doing the same.
Nothing worse than an overly pessimistic "fan" who dismisses their team in big matches and then revel in the win.
Nothing worse than an overly pessimistic "fan" who dismisses their team in big matches and then revel in the win.

Tbh many of our fans are entitled to do that, what about the away lads who follow the team in rain, hail and sunshine? It is just common sense that they get pessimistic after our record against big sides away. If they kick up enough of a fuss the club listens. And things change. That is better than just sitting and waiting for something to happen. They moan the most out of the fans I have seen the game with. But for a lot of them the club is a large part of their lives. I can understand if you are referring to armchair supporters, but there is nothing worse than watching a team live that does not fight or does not really look like it is taking a game seriously/giving a ****.
nothing is worth reidicule more then fans being overly humble to try and look better, or save face if they loose.

Much more respect for the fan that comes out and says 'we are going to **** them 5-0' and then holds their hands up after the game, if it does not come true..

heard some people on here trying to make it a win-win by saying their team will loose, so that they can be happy if they win, or right if they loose.. but its just pathetic.

Painfully obvious when someone is doing this.. and easily stands apart from the genuine worried fans, those who do really worry that their team may loose

Is this directed at someone particular or? So essentially what you're saying is that you're not allowed to be cautious going into a match even if the opposition are from a lower league... I don't think I recall anyone on here saying we'll definitely lose this match, it's just not wise to be boasting with over confidence that is all. I'm a little confused at that Acorns.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Is this directed at someone particular or? So essentially what you're saying is that you're not allowed to be cautious going into a match even if the opposition are from a lower league... I don't think I recall anyone on here saying we'll definitely lose this match, it's just not wise to be boasting with over confidence that is all. I'm a little confused at that Acorns.

You should read some of jam's posts.. :colondollar:

There's literally no correlation between being pessimistic and being a "fan" so it's really quite bizzare that you're suggesting there is.

Original post by AR_95
We've been playing 4-3-3 for a long time now. He's also already played 4-3-3 against Brighton where he scored?

Yes and Özil has been **** for a long time now. He scored against Brighton ffs doesn't prove anything. Wenger isn't dumb enough to play a non-versatile low work rate player in central midfield, which means that you either don't play 4-3-3 to accommodate for Mesut, or buy another midfielder to play a holding role and then have Wilshere, Rosicky, Coquelin, Cazorla, Oxlade-Chamberlain, new DM and Ramsey (maybe Arteta) for the 3 central roles, in which case he won't make it in anyway. Alternative could be to play him LW but it'll be major Lols if he does.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zerforax
You should read some of jam's posts.. :colondollar:

In regards to Chelsea?

Original post by VanGaalOut
There's literally no correlation between being pessimistic and being a "fan" so it's really quite bizzare that you're suggesting there is.

Hence why he put the word in quotation marks.
In regards to Chelsea?

Hence why he put the word in quotation marks.

Yea lol - have a look at the Liverpool thread
Original post by sr90
That's the difference between Arsenal and most of the other teams, they will respect the opponent and the competition. Look at City's first choice GK caught on camera saying he doesn't care about the competition, if that happened under Wenger he would never play for the club again.

Van Gaal is taking the competition seriously as well, though I don't think our squad are doing the same.

If Arsenal's situation was different then Wenger would probably prioritize Prem and CL if he thought we had a good enough chance in those tbh. There were times when we could have done much better in the FA Cup we've only been knocked out 3 times over the last ten years by top clubs.

He'll take it seriously this year because we have a good chance and we're defending it. But if it came down to a choice to rest our first 11 for a FA Cup semi final or a CL semi final first leg, it a no brainer for Wenger

I agree.

Basically Arkasia is beta.

No one person or game in particular.. Just a general rant at something that annoys me.

& being cautios is fine :smile: it's thr intent behind it.. If a person is genuinely worried then great, but sometimes you can just tell they are trying to either protect their credibility if their team looses, or trying to play the nice-guy and pretend like they are not secretly expecting to batter the poor other team
No one person or game in particular.. Just a general rant at something that annoys me.

& being cautios is fine :smile: it's thr intent behind it.. If a person is genuinely worried then great, but sometimes you can just tell they are trying to either protect their credibility if their team looses, or trying to play the nice-guy and pretend like they are not secretly expecting to batter the poor other team

Ahh good to know, interesting perspective. Thanks for clarifying :smile:

- Not sure what's taking so long to confirm Paulista but OK.

- Not sure what's taking so long to confirm Paulista but OK.

he was meant to fly to London today for media pictures but the price of oil rose just over 0.5% to mid $48 a barrel, Wenger is apparently waiting for oil prices to steady under $47 before flying him over.
Reply 394

Yes and Özil has been **** for a long time now. He scored against Brighton ffs doesn't prove anything. Wenger isn't dumb enough to play a non-versatile low work rate player in central midfield, which means that you either don't play 4-3-3 to accommodate for Mesut, or buy another midfielder to play a holding role and then have Wilshere, Rosicky, Coquelin, Cazorla, Oxlade-Chamberlain, new DM and Ramsey (maybe Arteta) for the 3 central roles, in which case he won't make it in anyway. Alternative could be to play him LW but it'll be major Lols if he does.

Utter *******s considering he's been injured for 4 months. The games he did play at the start of the season he was on the far left wing in a 4-1-4-1 system, and were his first few games with no pre season so your point is mute.

We played 4-3-3 with Cazorla in the mid field as opposed to the 3 up front and that worked, having Ramsey and Coquelin behind him meant we were ok defensively and this was against City. Only difference would be is that Ozil plays instead of Cazorla in that set up. It's a myth that his performance has been killed off by our set up beacuse Ozil needs to step up his game regardless, instead of people making excuses for him by saying "x and y players should be around him" or that he only looks good in the number ten role.

Wilshere Ramsey Coquelin Cazorla aren't strictly bound to the central role and neither is Chamberlain.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Utter *******s considering he's been injured for 4 months. The games he did play at the start of the season he was on the far left wing in a 4-1-4-1 system so your point is mute.

We played 4-3-3 with Cazorla in the mid field as opposed to the 3 up front and that worked, having Ramsey and Coquelin behind him meant we were ok defensively and this was against City. Wilshere Ramsey Coquelin Cazorla aren't strictly bound to the central role and neither is Chamberlain.

Doesn't matter if he's been injured, he's been ****. You just said you've played 4-3-3 for a long time, now you say you didn't but played 4-1-4-1. Where else is Coquelin, Wilshere or Ramsey gonna play in a 4-3-3 if not central? If you persist with 4-3-3 and play Özil there you'll win nothing guaranteed.
Reply 396
Doesn't matter if he's been injured, he's been ****. You just said you've played 4-3-3 for a long time, now you say you didn't but played 4-1-4-1. Where else is Coquelin, Wilshere or Ramsey gonna play in a 4-3-3 if not central? If you persist with 4-3-3 and play Özil there you'll win nothing guaranteed.

Your logic is shocking rofl

If a player is injured for 4 months, how can he be **** if he's not playing?

I said we've been playing 4-3-3 for a long time and we have. We've also played 4-1-4-1 at the start of the season which is also fact so I don't get what you're struggling to comprehend.

I also already gave you an example. Ramsey and Coquelin were either side of Cazorla in the middle. Replace Cazorla with Ozil. Ramsey and Wilshere should not be playing together, and Coquelin was pretty much our 3rd choice CDM so I don't get why you think it's so important we have to fit him in too.
Evening lads.

Looking forward to the weekend? Think a point would probably be a good result for you lot really.
Reply 398
Original post by Wilfred Little
Evening lads.

Looking forward to the weekend? Think a point would probably be a good result for you lot really.

There's simply no chance in hell you think we'd struggle to get a point of you at the Emirates, let alone 3 :biggrin:
Original post by AR_95
There's simply no chance in hell you think we'd struggle to get a point of you at the Emirates, let alone 3 :biggrin:

Last time we played there, we thrashed you?

Latest