The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How are we supposed to refer to black people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
I do not want to jump towards any conclusions but could you be specific?
Could you also post any prime examples

Unfortunatly, I can't post such threads on this website. But there are many, many different examples out there.
Original post by Balloon Baboon
Unfortunatly, I can't post such threads on this website. But there are many, many different examples out there.

So you think it should be okay for non blacks to say *****?

You've missed the point completely.
Original post by Wilfred Little
It's annoying when you watch boxing involving a black and a white fighter and the commentator spends twenty seconds trying to describe the tiniest little differences between their shorts when he could just say 'the black guy' or 'the white guy'.

no... what ur describing is a racial disadvantage..no one wants to be black in this world ...

that would be like calling a disabled person disabled... or a person with down syndrome retarded...

its not nice to stamp people with a big fat label like that... black or not, they deserve to be described equally alongside white.
Original post by Plastic Face
that would be like calling a disabled person disabled...

Yeaaah?...

black or not, they deserve to be described equally alongside white.

What do you call a person from Africa?
no... what ur describing is a racial disadvantage..no one wants to be black in this world ...

that would be like calling a disabled person disabled... or a person with down syndrome retarded...

its not nice to stamp people with a big fat label like that... black or not, they deserve to be described equally alongside white.

How the **** did you get that from my post :biggrin::confused:

How old are you?
How would you know a strangers nationality?

By getting to know them.

Original post by G8D
Who, outside of the scientific/academic community, refers to white people as 'caucasian' instead of 'white? :s-smilie:

Every single bloody form I've ever filled in has that... also the police, NHS, work etc

Although thinking about it, it is normally caucasian/white... as though white people don't know what they're called and need to be reminded.
Reply 27
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
In case we need to refer to a group of them, or point someone out. I mean they call us white people when they see fit.

If I want to point someone out to a friend, I'm not gonna waste my time saying "the 3rd guy from the left in between the lamppost and the bin, wearing a blue shirt, about 5'10" I should be able to say "the black/coloured/whatever guy" to make it easier. It's not being racist.

Just say "black", you're failing to open a troll can of worms.
why do you want to 'point them out' to begin with? that sounds like very invasive and hostile behavior...

black people are allowed to call us white people... cause wev been calling em black for long time now.. its only fair...

also... i dont like your attitude. you should not be calling anyone by their skin color these days... i dont care if its easier... you should be describing them as u would anyone else.

He's not suggesting you point them out because there black, maybe you like their shoes, or you think there attractive? Hardly hostile and invasive.

It's no different from pointing someone out someone white in a group of blacks by their skin colour. Is that racist and hostile? It's just practical.
Original post by Wilfred Little
How the **** did you get that from my post :biggrin::confused:

How old are you?

whats my age got to do with this... bro u should not come at me from the ad hominem side.. so inb4 that...
Im actually so shocked at some of the responses, of course you can refer to somone as ****ing black.

"Dude, do you want, a pomegranete?
Is that the orange one?
ZOMFG YOU CANT DECRIBE SOMETHING BY ITS COLOUR YOU FRUITIST"
You see how stupid that sounds?
Original post by Izzyeviel
By getting to know them.

So you get to meet everyone you see in the street do you?
Original post by _thequeen
He's not suggesting you point them out because there black, maybe you like their shoes, or you think there attractive? Hardly hostile and invasive.

It's no different from pointing someone out someone white in a group of blacks by their skin colour. Is that racist and hostile? It's just practical.

well u obv aint a liberal like me then ...

yes sure it is practical, but it is rude.
well u obv aint a liberal like me then ...

yes sure it is practical, but it is rude.

What do you call a person from the African continent, who you don't know - How would you describe them?
What do you call a person from the African continent, who you don't know - How would you describe them?

well they could be white. south africa for example...

i'd call em a person.

no need to go deeper than that.

we are all one species.
well they could be white. south africa for example...

i'd call em a person.

no need to go deeper than that.

we are all one species.

Okay. How about from the Congo.

How would you describe them?

Coloured is offensive because it used to be a term that the white south African apartheid government leaders used to categorise those who were mixed race and they were not allowed certain privileges. Terms associated with apartheid, really do need to die a death and I think it's justifyably offensive.

Using "blacks" instead of black people is offensive because you are first and foremost talking about people who have many facets of their character, rather than merely being defined solely as a unit of colour. It's dehumanizing.

Negro is just awful. That's what slave owners called their slaves. I can't believe anyone would believe that that isn't anything other than extremely offensive.

Balloon Baboon

Certain cultures use the word "******"?
Which cultures might they be?
So you get to meet everyone you see in the street do you?

Well if you're not going to know them... why the need to categorize random people?
Okay. How about from the Congo.

How would you describe them?

i wouldn't describe them at all.

i'd use their name. if i didnt know it, i'd ask them to tell me it.

describing people is too rude imo.
i wouldn't describe them at all.

i'd use their name. if i didnt know it, i'd ask them to tell me it.

describing people is too rude imo.

So if you were asked by a police officer to describe the person you saw, you'd just say it was a person?

Latest

Trending

Trending