The Student Room Group

C4 Differential Equations

My teacher gave me this worksheet to do but honestly I don't even know what the questions are asking me. Can someone help explain it?

Reply 1
Original post by isteven
My teacher gave me this worksheet to do but honestly I don't even know what the questions are asking me. Can someone help explain it?

didn't your teacher explain how to do these questions?
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
didn't your teacher explain how to do these questions?

We basically went through the differential questions in the edexcel c4 book. But the wording of these questions I do not recognise, she gave us the sheet to do as homework but I don't understand this.
Original post by isteven

What is it about the wording that confuses you?

Take the first one, for example, dx/dt = kx. To 'write x in terms of t', you want to solve it so have something in the form x = *some stuff with t's in*. You just solve it in the normal way i.e. using the 'separation of variables' method. The textbook probably refers to finding the 'general solution', which is what this example is asking you for.

I'd say have a go at the first one, then if you get stuck come back with what you've tried. It's hard to give useful advice if we can't see what exactly you're struggling with.
Reply 4
Original post by isteven
We basically went through the differential questions in the edexcel c4 book. But the wording of these questions I do not recognise, she gave us the sheet to do as homework but I don't understand this.

Do you recognize the phrase "separation of variables"? These questions are fairly standard examples of that technique - in fact 1(a) is probably given as an example in your book somewhere, and you can probably almost recognize what sort of function differentiates to give a multiple of itself :smile:
Reply 5
No worries won't bother doing it as it was just extra work, doing the wrong paper as homework lol

Quick Reply

Latest