The Student Room Group

Benedict Cumberbatch apologises...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
I think you are missing the historical aspect associated with that word. And as such, i dont believe any black person would take to kindly to what you may deem as anything but wrong...:biggrin:

Really?

So when Obama uses the term "young men of Color", you were also outraged ?
Original post by Oli-Ol
I agree that it's bizarre, but at school we were specifically told several times not to use 'black' (ironically, we were always told to use 'coloured' as the politically correct term) because people found it offensive. It was something that our French teacher had problems with when we got to A level and were learning about racism as well, because in France I believe that calling someone black is absolutely fine, and we all found it a huge mental stumbling block because we'd been so conditioned not to say it.

Maybe it's a regional thing? I live in a very white part of the country so it's possible that the few black students we did have were uncomfortable? I can't imagine five year olds being particularly bothered though. Alternatively, it might be because of your final point- maybe calling someone black can be construed as offensive if you don't know their ethnic background because you're making assumptions about their ethnicity?

Honestly, I have no idea.

That's something I hadn't considered actually, it being a regional thing. The town I grew up in is apparently the most racially diverse place in the country outside of London, so maybe you're right.
He should not have apologised. What a shame that there are so many people complaining and criticizing others on complete non-issues.
Original post by Lady Comstock
The professionally-offended are out in full force, I see.

It was an ignorant mistake warranting no more than a raised eyebrow, not a Twitter lynch mob.

*wishing I could rep this*
Original post by Oli-Ol
I'm sure it is, but that isn't what we were taught was acceptable. I am aware that the connotations words hold change, and in this case I wasn't aware that 'coloured' was no longer acceptable. It's not a word I use anyway, because, as I've said, I think it's meaningless. There is a huge difference between 'coloured' and a word like ****** which is highly derogatory and is intended to be offensive.

As I've said, 'black' is still held to be offensive in some circles, which I believe is why 'person of colour' is the preferred term.

Do you want me to go and find them for you to prove that I'm not racist? :rolleyes:

Oh I agree with you, I was playing devil's advocate somewhat (and not particularly successfully).

Personally I also don't have an issue with 'black', but I was told that some people found it offensive and so searched to avoid it, because I didn't want to unintentionally offend anyone. I have a feeling that 'dark-skinned' is fairly outdated as well, but I'm clearly not very up to date!

I completely agree with you. Intent is the root of this, and he clearly didn't mean to offend- he was highlighting an issue that he saw as unfair and important!

I dont ever remember insinuating that you are racist. If anything, i was clearly stating what the majority of my black friends would think is acceptable and what isnt. What you need to understand is, 4 of your black friends back in 1964, who thought that such use of the term 'coloured' was acceptable, are not representative of todays black people.

I think it would help if you refrained from putting your emotions into this, and instead thought about it rationally.:smile:
Reply 65
Original post by Maid Marian
For Heaven's sake, it's just a word. It's not derogatory. People really need to stop jumping up and making drama over every little thing.

It is derogatory if you are black because of its connotation. Apart from Sherlock I don't think a drama has been made. It's outdated, it shouldn't be used and there's nothing wrong with saying that.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Really?

So when Obama uses the term "young men of Color", you were also outraged ?

I think its dishonest of you to phrase the question in the manner in which you have phrased it; you have phrased it to say, that i have had any prior knowledge of obama using that term. If you would however, have asked me the valid question, "do you think its acceptable for obama to use the term 'young men of color'" then i would have stated that i am opposed to such use.

I hope that clears things up.
I think its dishonest of you to phrase the question in the manner in which you have phrased it; you have phrased it to say, that i have had any prior knowledge of obama using that term. If you would however, have asked me the valid question, "do you think its acceptable for obama to use the term 'young men of color'" then i would have stated that i am opposed to such use.

It's really not a leading or dishonest question when you could've googled whether or not Obama has used the term... Don't obfuscate so cheaply. If you're opposed to the term, that's fine. Don't bubble wrap it when you can give a direct answer.
Reply 68
On the playing fields of Eton....
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
It's really not a leading or dishonest question when you could've googled whether or not Obama has used the term... Don't obfuscate so cheaply. If you're opposed to the term, that's fine. Don't bubble wrap it when you can give a direct answer.

I beg to differ. I will give the intended reader the benefit of the doubt, that they have the comprehension skills required to understand what i am evidently arguing. I think i put it in a really simplistic way:confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
People use colour to describe black people and white people all the time though, minority groups have even coined the term "people of colour" as a PC way of referring to anyone who isn't what someone deems white. It's a harmless term, that is perhaps outdated, but doesn't warrant this variety of ****-storm.
Original post by Genocidal
Over-sensitive babies. I suppose he had to apologise because he has to cater to whiny Americans for career reasons, but my god people ae pathetic these days.

How is that pathetic? How would you like it if people used the term 'Coloured' to describe you.
Reply 72
At the end of the day, this guy has more cash than most Americans and coloured people.

He'll just be counting his cash as he types up his apology.

Right so you only bother to say something when a white person says it.
Original post by Kruz
How is that pathetic? How would you like it if people used the term 'Coloured' to describe you.

Well, I don't like people calling me short. I am not going to find them and tell them that they should aplpogise.

Obama used the term and no one batted an eye lid.

Of course when a white person uses it then the faux outrage all starts
Well, I don't like people calling me short. I am not going to find them and tell them that they should aplpogise.

Obama used the term and no one batted an eye lid.

Of course when a white person uses it then the faux outrage all starts

Are you seriously comparing being called short to the term "coloured"?
Original post by Kruz
Are you seriously comparing being called short to the term "coloured"?

Lol.

Short, fat and etc .

Actually being called fat is probably more offensive than coloured.

Were you so offended when Obama used the term?
Yes, you can use ' that word '
coloured or is this another word that only by used by Black people?

No one cares if you are Black or from any other minority.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you are so bent out of shape over such a word.

You're free to go around calling black people coloured, but don't cry when you get hauled off to HR and/or fired or get knocked out. Stop fronting for the internet, we knew you don't call people coloured in real life.

Oh I see, you're one of those "why can they say the n word but when we do its racist?" :dunce:
Its an outdated word, nobody says it.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you're so mad that you can't go around calling people coloured & not expect a reaction. Are you really this daft?

Even Benedict didn't mean any harm & knew what he said was wrong due to the connotations associated with the word/ its historical usage & swiftly apologised. That was it, end of discussion. Yet people of certain demographics on here are crying about how it should be ok to say it loll.
Original post by SophiaLDN
You're free to go around calling black people coloured, but don't cry when you get hauled off to HR and/or fired or get knocked out. Stop fronting for the internet, we knew you don't call people coloured in real life.

Oh I see, you're one of those "why can they say the n word but when we do its racist?" :dunce:
Its an outdated word, nobody says it.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you're so mad that you can't go around calling people coloured & not expect a reaction. Are you really this daft?

Even Benedict didn't mean any harm & knew what he said was wrong due to the connotations associated with the word/ its historical usage & swiftly apologised. That was it, end of discussion. Yet people of certain demographics on here are crying about how it should be ok to say it loll.

The term coloured is innocuous (you probably do not understand that word but it is a synonym for harmless). Even that naughty but hilarious term ******, was once used positively by the black people to describe themselves.
are you guys nuts?! how is "coloured" an offensive term?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending