The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How are we supposed to refer to black people?

Scroll to see replies

Black man/woman
simples bro
Original post by Balloon Baboon
No. The world is insulting and black people use it between each other. (I see it pretty much daily I have black friends) However, If I used it towards a black person he or she wouldn't be happy about it. Why?

Disparaging means insulting btw that's why I said that your point was confused.

So what you have black friends..... Doesn't mean that they are representative of black culture globally. Even the word black culture is funny. Like there is a "white culture". Like Norway and Spain have the same cultures or something :rolleyes:

African American terms doesn't speak for all black culture everywhere which explains why black people can often offend other black people by using the term. Don't assume that it's ok to use across the board.
Original post by Eveiebaby

So what you have black friends..... Doesn't mean that they are representative of black culture globally. Even the word black culture is funny. Like there is a "white culture". Like Norway and Spain have the same cultures or something :rolleyes:

African American terms doesn't speak for all black culture everywhere which explains why black people can often offend other black people by using the term. Don't assume that it's ok to use across the board.

Still haven't answered the question.
Still haven't answered the question.

Using the word ****** is offensive to me and lots of other black people regardless of if you're black or not.

Understand? If one of my black friends said that to me I'd be like WTF? We're not in 1930s Texas, shame on you for degrading yourself like that.
No. The world is insulting and black people use it between each other. (I see it pretty much daily I have black friends) However, If I used it towards a black person he or she wouldn't be happy about it. Why?

Reappropriation
Reply 85
Just to go back to the original question...

Don't call people coloured. If I was Benedict I would say 'non-white'. Lots of ignorant people just think you're either black or white. Some other ignorant people think you're either black, white or half-cast.

I am Asian-White and if anyone called me 'coloured' I would correct them. I understand people don't mean it an offensive way, but it's better that people know that some do find it offensive. For me, it's the same kind of thing as 'half-cast'. For me, the term does have some implications that I don't like.

Call me a brown person, because I am. Call black people black people. Call white people white people. Call Asian people Asian people. Call Latvian people Latvian people. At the end of the day, all we are is people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Using the word ****** is offensive to me and lots of other black people regardless of if you're black or not.

Understand? If one of my black friends said that to me I'd be like WTF? We're not in 1930s Texas, shame on you for degrading yourself like that.

But it happens. Even today and not, like the said in the 1930's. Films today still use that offensiveness. Does that mean all black people use it, no. But it's not as unfrequent as you think it is.

TheWire, for example. It's used loads on that TV show. Why is that allowed when a white person, or someone who isn't black, can't use it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jakemac
Just call them black people. I'm a white person, some people are black people, some are Asian people, e.t.c. Too much time and effort goes on being politically correct all the time; just call people what they are and move on.

The UK is historically and still is racist to a certain degree, slightly less now but its still evident and discrimination continues. So to enable people to get along with each other, certain practices are adopted, i.e. Political Correctness, to enable folks to be abit concious of their words when engaging in dialogue or a discourse about a certain subject. You might not realise it but it could be deemed offensive and inappropriate to the wider audience. You might think its an innocent thing, but you're probably hurting peoples feelings. Remember how its usually grand-parents who are the predominate generation that are still racist, because of the era they lived in, 60s and 70s being a volatile era for ethnic minorities and racism was rife.

So take a chill pill and adopt PC guidelines, otherwise you're going to end up being a catalyst for race riots.

Remember most judiciary sentences for Blacks and Asians are full terms compared with White people. The legal system still have a long way to go with it comes to parity.
(edited 9 years ago)

Don't even get me started on 'black' culture. I*can't believe that people still need to be taught the intricacies of the English language. If you say 'love' to a female acquaintance it's completely different saying it to someone you don't know. Words like 'fag' and 'fanny' mean different things in America and England despite it being the same language. Context is everything.

Here in Britain saying black people is perfectly fine, I don't understand why anyone would think any different. Typical whites making an issue where there isn't one...(JOKE)
Reply 89
"Black" was a name given by the "white" man I think so called "black people" should not be called that because nobody is actually "black" and the same goes for "white" people.
Original post by AlexSO
Going back to the original question then...

Don't call people coloured. If I was Benedict I would say 'non-white'. Lots of ignorant people just think you're either black or white. Some other ignorant people think you're either black, white or half-cast.

I am Asian-White and if anyone called me 'coloured' I would correct them. I understand people don't mean it an offensive way, but it's better that people know that some do find it offensive. For me, it's the same kind of thing as 'half-cast'. For me, the term does have some implications that I don't like.

Call me a brown person, because I am. Call black people black people. Call white people white people. Call Asian people Asian people. Call Latvian people Latvian people. At the end of the day, all we are is people.

Political correctness has gone way too far, it does not matter if someone says 'coloured'. One minute people don't like being called 'black', and the next they don't like being called 'coloured'. In no way is it offensive. Surely you would be more offended if someone called you 'brown' than 'coloured'.
But it happens. Even today and not, like the said in the 1930's. Films today still use that offensiveness. Does that mean all black people use it, no. But it's not as unfrequent as you think it is.

A) a film is ficticious, so to use that to demonstrate reality is to use "skins" as a realistic account of common college life.

B) Your knowledge of "Black people" and afro-Caribbean life seems extremely narrow compared to mine. I hate to say it, but I'm afraid I have to insist that I have authority on the matter.
Original post by Izzyeviel
I was thinking of this the other day, no-one says the 'Benedict Cumperpatch who is a white actor' why is that? why the need to highlight the fact that a person is a different race?

And also, what is the best way to refer to their race? We call whites 'caucasian' but how should we refer to non-whites? I don't like the terms Black, or coloured, I prefer African American - but what if they're not African and not American?

What I (&we I suppose) should really be doing is ignore their ethnicity and just call them by their nationality.

It's kind of obvious...most people in this country are white.

Is it OK to refer to refer to someone by their hair colour or other physical feature? Of course. Skin colour is just another physical attribute and it doesn't need to be offensive.
Original post by G8D
White - British
White - Scottish
White - other

etc etc etc

Even the ONS don't use caucasian...

http://ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-method/measuring-equality/equality/ethnic-nat-identity-religion/ethnic-group/index.html#8

My match.com profile another example: match.JPG
Original post by chazwomaq
Which terms are considered polite and which offensive is essentially arbitrary and down to the culture and history.

In Britain, black is the generally accepted term, and I've never heard anyone getting in trouble for that. Although some people complain that black has associations of evil, darkness etc.

Is dark skinned acceptable or offensive?

The only complaint I'd ever heard of was black/White magic - like you said, associates Black with Evil. Banning blackboards and golliwogs because they were 'offensive' was just stupid.
And I'd say dark skinned was acceptable; but then again, I thought black/coloured was alright....
Reply 95
Lil Wayne calls them ****** so I go with him.

Pfft, swear filter.

N Word ^^^
Original post by EatAndRevise
Political correctness has gone way too far, it does not matter if someone says 'coloured'. One minute people don't like being called 'black', and the next they don't like being called 'coloured'. In no way is it offensive. Surely you would be more offended if someone called you 'brown' than 'coloured'.

Some people are just waiting to be offended - usually on the behalf on someone else :rolleyes: The situation is ludicrous now. I'm offended that everything under the sun is seen as offensive.
A) a film is ficticious, so to use that to demonstrate reality is to use "skins" as a realistic account of common college life.

B) Your knowledge of "Black people" and afro-Caribbean life seems extremely narrow compared to mine. I hate to say it, but I'm afraid I have to insist that I have authority on the matter.

Okay. :rolleyes:

You've missed the point. But okay.
Original post by Nomes89
Don't even get me started on 'black' culture. I*can't believe that people still need to be taught the intricacies of the English language. If you say 'love' to a female acquaintance it's completely different saying it to someone you don't know. Words like 'fag' and 'fanny' mean different things in America and England despite it being the same language. Context is everything.

Here in Britain saying black people is perfectly fine, I don't understand why anyone would think any different. Typical whites making an issue where there isn't one...(JOKE)

Yeah no problem with Black as a descriptor here,iIt's really annoying when people confuse use African American rap culture to describe stereotypically the things that obviously ALL black people enjoy. It's cringeworthy and embarrassing, but hey - I seek to educate
Original post by Bubzeh
Lil Wayne calls them ****** so I go with him.

Pfft, swear filter.

N Word ^^^

He's saying it fictitiously. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending