The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How are we supposed to refer to black people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwertyking
It's kind of obvious...most people in this country are white.

Is it OK to refer to refer to someone by their hair colour or other physical feature? Of course. Skin colour is just another physical attribute and it doesn't need to be offensive.

Well we're not really meant to call people 'fat' 'big-nosed' etc... although we haven't quite got to that point yet.

Why describe people by physical features at all - why not describe what they're wearing? Gets you thinking when you think about it.
Original post by RFUR1
Well which part of the UK you are? I am from London and I am mixed race and the black people in my family, my friends (who are black) and myself all find those terms derogatory and offensive because they are. A lot of black people where I live do and if someone who wasn't black was to say any of those words to them there would certainly be arguments and fights and even the people who aren't black and heard wouldn't approve because they too find those terms offensive.

Those terms couldn't be used in my school and college and certainly cannot be used on my work place and generally are not used in society.

I'm not British, my parents were born here but they grew up back in Africa and but they raised me in Europe. I went to an international school and the only time I got offended by someone's description of me, I was 7 years old. After that I realized it just doesn't make a difference. It's in how it's said, not what is being said imo. If someone says anything to me with the intent to be malicious/disrespectful then of course I would have a problem no matter what they called me.

I guess it might just be a British thing though, a lot of my friends here are visibly cautious when referring to me and I just find it annoying tbh. If anything I think it only reinforces the stereotype that as a black guy I'll react angrily/violently if called a name. Words are meaningless imo, sticks and stones and all that
I think it's to do with the fact that 1930s-40s America used the term 'coloured' to group together all races that weren't white - all races that were considered 'secondary' to the white man. The black pride movement encouraged oppressed African-American people to be proud of their identity. 'Coloured' is therefore a more derogatory term.
Original post by Balloon Baboon
He's saying it fictitiously. :biggrin:

Bubzeh isn't even black. He's a well known racist on here who I remember telling me that I should be thankful that I should have any sort of education in the UK and throwing every derogatory American black woman stereotype at me possible.

Also using whatever Lil Wayne reference is African American rap culture. Not black culture. As I've mentioned time and time again the two are not the same. Not all black people are into AA rap culture. Those ones will be offended most likely with the N word.
(edited 9 years ago)
What kind of dumb ass question is this? Smh
How are we supposed to refer to whites or asians or arabs
Original post by Eveiebaby
Bubzeh isn't even black. He's a well known racist on here who I remember telling me that I should be thankful that I should have any sort of education in the UK and throwing every derogatory American black woman stereotype at me possible.

Also using whatever Lil Wayne reference is African American culture. Not black culture. The two are not the same.

Then should he be using the N word?
Original post by Izzyeviel
Well we're not really meant to call people 'fat' 'big-nosed' etc... although we haven't quite got to that point yet.

Why describe people by physical features at all - why not describe what they're wearing? Gets you thinking when you think about it.

Why not? Depending on the context of course. To describe hair colour, eye colour etc wouldn't be offensive. In a predominately black country, I wouldn't mind it if someone referred to my skin colour.
Original post by Ignitus7
I think it's to do with the fact that 1930s-40s America used the term 'coloured' to group together all races that weren't white - all races that were considered 'secondary' to the white man. The black pride movement encouraged oppressed African-American people to be proud of their identity. 'Coloured' is therefore a more derogatory term.

I don't think it's offensive in America though?
Reply 108
I thought coloured was rude and black is fine, it is stating it as it is just as most of us our white.
Original post by Balloon Baboon
Then should he be using the N word?

Noone should use the N word in my opinion. Its really offensive.
Noone should use the N word in my opinion. Its really offensive.

YAY!! you finally got the point!!
Reply 111

Can't remember that convo but you deserved those comments.

OH I REMEMBER NOW. It was something about you not respecting my Grandad for what he did in the War? Bow down to him girl. Now.
Just call us black.
All this political correctness is getting out of hand.
Original post by qwertyking
Why not? Depending on the context of course. To describe hair colour, eye colour etc wouldn't be offensive. In a predominately black country, I wouldn't mind it if someone referred to my skin colour.

Thats the problem... you may be ok with it... but some might be offended.

Anyone else find it amusing how such a seemingly simple thing as describing another person can turn into such a minefield?
Original post by Izzyeviel

Surely it makes more sense to describe people by permanent attributes?:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Just call us black.
All this political correctness is getting out of hand.

Well done. Mucho respect.
Reply 116
Original post by EatAndRevise
Political correctness has gone way too far, it does not matter if someone says 'coloured'. One minute people don't like being called 'black', and the next they don't like being called 'coloured'. In no way is it offensive. Surely you would be more offended if someone called you 'brown' than 'coloured'.

I am brown. I am happy with that. I call myself brown to people who don't understand the term 'Asian-white'. To a certain extent, I do find 'coloured' a tad offensive. It sounds like you've got just white people and coloured people. White people and everyone else. It, to me, implies that white is the norm and anything else isn't. Personally, I don't really like it. It's not really about PC for me. The main issue is that I want people to refer to me as what I want to be referred to as. Nobody should continuously call me something that I don't want to be named as. We are all individuals. I wouldn't go mad if someone called me coloured, I'd say something like "By the way, if you're going to label me by race, call me Asian-White, mixed race or brown skinned. but I'd really prefer it if you called me Alex"

Being fairly young, I can't recall meeting anyone in my life offended by the word 'black'.

Let's not forget, white people are coloured too. In fact, we all are!
Original post by Bubzeh
Can't remember that convo but you deserved those comments.

OH I REMEMBER NOW. It was something about you not respecting my Grandad for what he did in the War? Bow down to him girl. Now.

Lol it is the fear of people who are not white that results in people like you. Oh well, carry on pal.. In the next 10 years Britain will be a completely more diverse ball game. It's inevitable: take London for example. Just saying :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Plastic Face
no... what ur describing is a racial disadvantage..no one wants to be black in this world ...

that would be like calling a disabled person disabled... or a person with down syndrome retarded...

its not nice to stamp people with a big fat label like that... black or not, they deserve to be described equally alongside white.

That's pretty racist man. There is nothing wrong with being black.
If I need to point out a black guy in a crowd of people, I'll simply say, "the black guy", or if I can tell what country he's from, I'll use that. Like "Oh yeah, Tom, he's Nigerian". Both are valid.

Latest

Trending

Trending