The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by Wilfred Little
Last time we played there, we thrashed you?

Club was pretty much in turmoil at that point what with the fans and Wenger not signing anyone. Was the first match of the season too iirc? Regardless, flukes happen, it won't happen again :biggrin:
Original post by AR_95
Your logic is shocking rofl

If a player is injured for 4 months, how can he be **** if he's not playing?

I said we've been playing 4-3-3 for a long time and we have. We've also played 4-1-4-1 at the start of the season which is also fact so I don't get what you're struggling to comprehend.

I also already gave you an example. Ramsey and Coquelin were either side of Cazorla in the middle. Replace Cazorla with Ozil. Ramsey and Wilshere should not be playing together, and Coquelin was pretty much our 3rd choice CDM so I don't get why you think it's so important we have to fit him in too.

"We've been playing 4-3-3 for a long time"
"We played 4-1-4-1 at start of season"

Özil was fit until October, he doesn't fit into a 4-3-3.

Can you imagine if it was Özil rather than Cazorla at City? You would've been royally ****ed. You only won because Yaya wasn't there but even without him and Özil in the team you would've been taken to the cleaners. I mentioned the players above because they all fit into a 4-3-3 system a lot better than Mesut.
Reply 402
Original post by VanGaalOut
"We've been playing 4-3-3 for a long time"
"We played 4-1-4-1 at start of season"

Yes, we've been playing 4-3-3 for a long time, e.g since mid october or so. Coincidentally the one game Ozil was given the central role in our 4-3-3 set up (vs Villa away) he got a goal and assist.

We did play 4-1-4-1 at the start of the season; August/September.
Original post by AR_95
Yes, we've been playing 4-3-3 for a long time, e.g since mid october or so. Coincidentally the one game Ozil was given the central role in our 4-3-3 set up (vs Villa away) he got a goal and assist.

We did play 4-1-4-1 at the start of the season; August/September.

Oxymoron my friend. Assuming you want a DM in summer, how would you set up a 4-3-3 with Özil?
Reply 404
Oxymoron my friend. Assuming you want a DM in summer, how would you set up a 4-3-3 with Özil?

I've just described it to you twice. Not really an Oxymoron either.
Original post by AR_95
I've just described it to you twice. Not really an Oxymoron either.

Long time isn't 3 months :lolwut: May as well go the whole hog and say Falcao has played for us for a looong time. Also I'm guessing DM-Ramsey-Özil midfield which is fairly lol worthy.
Footballers are only human after all
Original post by Pete_91
We'd have to beat United away, Chelsea at home and even after that get a significant swing in our favour to catch that gap up...

Which is why I said slim chance. 1% or less...
Original post by Wilfred Little
Evening lads.

Looking forward to the weekend? Think a point would probably be a good result for you lot really.

I think you're mistaken. If you come to the Emirates and get a point out of the game it would be a good result for you lot, not us. We want nothing less than 3 points tbh to keep the pace up with United and the Saints.

Must admit, it isn't the ideal time to play you arguably because you lots seriously need the points to lift yourselves, I expect a tough game.

You only beat us last time round because the club was pretty much in a dark place then, we showed you up at Villa park though, 3 goals and a clean sheet :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 409
Why do you guys call him Paulista it's Gabriel just like Sanchez is called Alexis.
Long time isn't 3 months :lolwut: May as well go the whole hog and say Falcao has played for us for a looong time. Also I'm guessing DM-Ramsey-Özil midfield which is fairly lol worthy.

I suspect Arsenal will struggle to fit Ozil in just like we've struggled to fit Mata in.
Lol @ Akpom being linked with us (Liverpool).
Tbh it is pretty pointless discussing what would have happened if such and such a player was playing (i'm talking about Y.Toure). What has happened in the past has happened. If we are going to go down that line of discussion it is fair to say how Arsenal would have fared if we had a fit Diaby playing consistently over the seasons. From which I can see of his ability, he would have been every bit as effective as Yaya Toure. This "what if?" game regarding us beating City is just another WUM attempt to discredit the result. Which is why we have to win more of these big games, we have to go in to them playing them like cup finals as the underdog.
(edited 9 years ago)
Like to see this at some point:

Coq - Ramsey
Walcott - Ozil - Santi
Alexis
For the most part we have figured City out and we can play well against them in big games as recent results (this season) against them show.
Now we have to keep playing well against the other big teams. I think the games against United and Chelsea are huge , will do wonders for development and knowing how to play against big teams home and away.

I think with the spine of our team being adjusted it makes us a much more assured outfit :
Ospina for that Polish guy.
Gabriel for Mertesacker (I think he will be one of our best signings)
Coquelin for Flamteta
1-0, 2-1, 3-2, 4-3, 5-4 etc. defeats are still defeats, even if you only went to Old Trafford/"The Bridge"/Etihad/Anfield and lost 1-0 in all cases, you'd still have "poor away form against the big clubs", only cause the defeats were heavy did the media make such a deal out of it
Original post by angelfox
Like to see this at some point:

Coq - Ramsey
Walcott - Ozil - Santi
Alexis

Would adjust as follows for games against weaker opposition. :

Coq - Ramsey
Ozil - Santi - Alexis
Giroud

(Ozil can switch with Santi in the game, we're pretty fluid)

For big away games drop one of Santi or Ozil and adopt 4-1-4-1. Would be very interesting to see how Ozil does in the Cazorla role in the game vs City. I think he would do very well and surprise us because he is excellent on the counter attack, dribbles well at speed and makes good decisions with regards to quick transitions into attack (and also his clever off the ball runs that take out a few defenders with him). :

Coq
Chamberlain/Walcott - Santi/Ozil - Ramsey - Alexis
Giroud
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tom_Ford
Would adjust as follows for games against weaker opposition. :

Coq - Ramsey
Ozil - Santi - Alexis
Giroud

(Ozil can switch with Santi in the game, we're pretty fluid)

For big away games drop one of Santi or Ozil and adopt 4-1-4-1. Would be very interesting to see how Ozil does in the Cazorla role in the game vs City. I think he would do very well and surprise us because he is excellent on the counter attack, dribbles well at speed and makes good decisions with regards to quick transitions into attack (and also his clever off the ball runs that take out a few defenders with him). :

Coq
Chamberlain/Walcott - Santi/Ozil - Ramsey - Alexis
Giroud

Problem with that is both Ozil and Alexis would be cutting inside, and not making the most of the width and would be cutting into Santi's space.
Original post by angelfox
Problem with that is both Ozil and Alexis would be cutting inside, and not making the most of the width and would be cutting into Santi's space.

In regards to the first system:

Would probs put Santi a bit further back, more as a ball carrier/starter of the transition play into attack. In fact this is very necessary as Ramsey being a B2B will inevitably bomb forward.
Love how you've scraped your way near the top 4 and in the FA Cup convinced yourself you've won it :laugh: and now some people think you can win the title because you beat City minus Yaya and an unfit Agüero :laugh: Classic.

Latest