The Student Room Group

I screwed up big time!

I am completely devastated right now because I didn't include a hobbies section on my personal statement. I was extremely concerned about my personal statement way before the deadline, having produced numerous drafts but at the end I didn't even add a hobbies/interest section!

I attended various sessions with senior students from Universities coming to our school to talk about Uni life and personal statement and most of them mentioned, everything you put has to be relevant to your course and don't put in variables that don't link to the course you wish to study in order to preserve space. I strongly followed that rule when I produced the drafts and when I think about it, I did not include a section that highlights my outside life! To be honest, it's really a shame because I examined so much material from the internet and planned so much, but I didn't even include an important section!

Am I completely rejected? :frown: I mean I included my achievements, courses I am studying, work experience and future plans and all these variables are linked to the course I am applying for. Please help! I feel like an idiot! I am just really scared and I just hope I don't get rejected from all 5 Uni's.
:'(

P.S. The course is Mechanical Engineering

TT^TT
Original post by Nish1280
I am completely devastated right now because I didn't include a hobbies section on my personal statement. I was extremely concerned about my personal statement way before the deadline, having produced numerous drafts but at the end I didn't even add a hobbies/interest section!

I attended various sessions with senior students from Universities coming to our school to talk about Uni life and personal statement and most of them mentioned, everything you put has to be relevant to your course and don't put in variables that don't link to the course you wish to study in order to preserve space. I strongly followed that rule when I produced the drafts and when I think about it, I did not include a section that highlights my outside life! To be honest, it's really a shame because I examined so much material from the internet and planned so much, but I didn't even include an important section!

Am I completely rejected? :frown: I mean I included my achievements, courses I am studying, work experience and future plans and all these variables are linked to the course I am applying for. Please help! I feel like an idiot! I am just really scared and I just hope I don't get rejected from all 5 Uni's.

TT^TT

Don't worry! My personal statement was 100% academic and I got all of my offers. Some universities might be interested in your non-academic engagements but definitely not to the point where they'd reject an otherwise good candidate because they've not mentioned their hobbies. Don't worry, you haven't screwed up :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
Don't worry! My personal statement was 100% academic and I got all of my offers. Some universities might be interested in your non-academic engagements but definitely not to the point where they'd reject an otherwise good candidate because they've not mentioned their hobbies. Don't worry, you haven't screwed up :smile:

:O Oh my goodness i'm so glad there was someone like me and still got in! Thank you! I was just getting so distressed because obviously Personal Statement is the document to really make yourself sound worthy but without adding the hobbies section, I felt as if I seemed like a nerd without a social life D:
:O Oh my goodness i'm so glad there was someone like me and still got in! Thank you! I was just getting so distressed because obviously Personal Statement is the document to really make yourself sound worthy but without adding the hobbies section, I felt as if I seemed like a nerd without a social life D:

Seriously, don't worry :smile: It might not have been a bad idea to include a little bit about your hobbies for the universities that are interested but it's definitely not a big problem. I mean, logically, the admissions departments want students who are good at and interested in their course. They're less interested if you play the flute or are part of a football team because that's not going to make you a better mechanical engineer!
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
Seriously, don't worry :smile: It might not have been a bad idea to include a little bit about your hobbies for the universities that are interested but it's definitely not a big problem. I mean, logically, the admissions departments want students who are good at and interested in their course. They're less interested if you play the flute or are part of a football team because that's not going to make you a better mechanical engineer!

That last sentence really relieved me! You made me feel much more comfortable, thanks!

:smile:

TT^TT

I can see why you are worrying, you are just eager to get where you want - I did the same thing. Don't worry at all, you've put down a lot of great stuff. Reviewers are not going to see your grades, reference, school and statement and then say, 'Screw this guy, he didn't tell us that he plays Tennis at the weekend.'

Best of luck! :smile:
Don't worry, you don't need to put hobbies on it. I put one hobby (relevant), but it's not necessary. You should only put stuff on it if it's relevant to the course, so you should be ok.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, First off ,wish you all the best with your applications :smile:
Can anyone tell me how long a personal statement should be? Mine is two pages and roughly over a 1,000 characters. I'm applying for a Master's program.
Some people say it should be minimum 350-500 words.So is anything over that waffling? thanks in advance!! would be great to talk to someone on the same boat as I am.
Reply 8
I suppose that makes sense :biggrin: I was worried because I read somewhere that Uni's reject students with reasonable grades if the strength and quality of their personal statement is not really good enough. :/
My predicted grades exceed their requirements but my personal statement felt tad weak as it only focused on my academic life and not social but when I look at it from a different perspective, my PS ONLY focuses on the course I am applying.
Original post by confusee123
Hi, First off ,wish you all the best with your applications :smile:
Can anyone tell me how long a personal statement should be? Mine is two pages and roughly over a 1,000 characters. I'm applying for a Master's program.
Some people say it should be minimum 350-500 words.So is anything over that waffling? thanks in advance!! would be great to talk to someone on the same boat as I am.

UCAS ones are usually about 4000 characters, so I guess it should be about the same length. 4000 characters is only about a page and a half.
I suppose that makes sense :biggrin: I was worried because I read somewhere that Uni's reject students with reasonable grades if the strength and quality of their personal statement is not really good enough. :/
My predicted grades exceed their requirements but my personal statement felt tad weak as it only focused on my academic life and not social but when I look at it from a different perspective, my PS ONLY focuses on the course I am applying.

Yeah, don't worry, it shows that you are interested in the academic side of the course.
I didn't put anything non-academic in (the hobby was academic) and I got 4 offers.
Don't worry - I have applied twice now and in both of my PS I haven't included my 'hobbies' because I didn't have enough space (of course, I have manyextracurricular activities but they were linked with my course). I got offers from all my unis when I applied first time (edinburgh, glasgow , aberdeen , york and brunel) and this year I got an offer from Newcastle (still waiting for others tho) so do not worry at all!

TT^TT

I forgot to include interests too, but I have one rejection and one offer (Leeds) so far so all is not lost
I decided not to include anything that's not politics related (course I applied for).

And so didn't include anything about sports etc, don't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending