The Student Room Group

University friends

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I agree, I prefer being alone, whether it's working on a project, sitting on my own, practicals.. whatever. I don't have to talk much and can easily get on with whatever I'm supposed to be doing, my own way.

Original post by Ecro
I've never understood why people are so scared of being alone.

Im fine with being alone from time to time, i just don't want to be alone forever with NO friends
Original post by SophieSmall
When you go to lectures try and see if you can spot some people who tend to sit on their own, sit next to them one day and introduce yourself, bring up coursework and ask if they've started it, small talk ect. Continue to do this until you feel comfortable around them. If there is any group work suggest you work together, if they seem to enjoy talking to you suggest going to the library together to work on coursework and if there are any practicals on your course suggest doing those together also, or try to make friends in practicals.

I was a complete mess in first year and had no friends on my course, would have loved if someone had come up to me in that year.
great advice as always

Yeah that'd be a good idea, though not so late you disrupt the lecture :P

I was an emotional wreck last year, I had awful depression and social anxiety. While I still suffer from those I have made a lot of progress.

It changed in actually a very odd way :tongue: I was about to do a practical (I do biomed) and I was panicking as I didn't know anyone and it was paired work (this wouldn't bother some but it really triggers my anxiety). I had a panic attack before lab, there was some crying but I a managed to collect myself in time for the lab. Went in, a girl came and sat next to me (as I'm assuming she also knew no one).

I somehow made the first conversation starter (something about some chemical vials, I don't remember exactly). The she told me she wasn't sure what we were supposed to be doing, which was oddly a relief to me as I didn't either so I was able to more comfortable talking to her. I started to get a bit of a "high" which is something I don't usually get, and when I do it's usually after a panic attack. When I'm on a "high" as I like to call it I am pretty fearless, I was talking to people and asking people questions and laughing. And then there was one guy on the bench behind me, my partner and I noticed he had gotten to a part we didn't understand so I took a cheeky gander at his sheet, he caught me :tongue: and then he offered to help. That guy is now my main friend on my course.

Sorry if that was a bit too much information :tongue:
naww haha

interesting and cute at once.I likes.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
great advice as always

naww haha

interesting and cute at once.I likes.

No :unimpressed:

fine hot.Im impressed.

back in my interrailing crew

fine hot.Im impressed.

Huh?
fine hot.Im impressed.

hmmmphhh
Plus i feel kinda awkward sitting next to people so i usually go to the back of the lecture hall, because they might think that i'm some sort of weirdo sitting next to them when theres a whole room free and the groups are talking about their own stuff so it feels rude to intrude on their conversations.

Do you live in halls? Speak to people in your flat? when you go to the kitchen etc?
Plus i feel kinda awkward sitting next to people so i usually go to the back of the lecture hall, because they might think that i'm some sort of weirdo sitting next to them when theres a whole room free and the groups are talking about their own stuff so it feels rude to intrude on their conversations.

Also, why not join clubs?
Huh?
reveal yourself haha

hmmmphhh
yeh kinda true tho.

Original post by Tolaaa
Also, why not join clubs?

stunner.
stunner.

??
Original post by Tolaaa
??

nice profile pic is all whoever she is
nice profile pic is all whoever she is

Aww thank you, its me :smile:
Original post by Tolaaa
Aww thank you, its me :smile:

nice one lets hope youre as beautiful on the inside
nice one lets hope youre as beautiful on the inside

I hope so! even though I'm not beautiful :angelblush:
Original post by Tolaaa
Do you live in halls? Speak to people in your flat? when you go to the kitchen etc?

Thats the thing i live off campus. :/
Thats the thing i live off campus. :/

I do as well and I've made friends by talking to people in seminars especially and joining clubs :smile:
Original post by Tolaaa
I do as well and I've made friends by talking to people in seminars especially and joining clubs :smile:

What year are you in?
What year are you in?

First
Original post by Tolaaa
I hope so! even though I'm not beautiful :angelblush:

no I wouldnt be saying it otherwise trust me youre more than grand
no I wouldnt be saying it otherwise trust me youre more than grand

Aww thank you, I'm such your even better! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest