The Student Room Group

IGCSE Maths and English Language, what to revise?

Hey all, I'm sure there is a post on here about this somewhere so I do apologise!

I'm currently due to sit IGCSE Maths and English Language, both Spec A papers and they are both Edexcel, I'm currently just blasting through IGCSE maths on LearnersCloud and MyMaths, all seems well and straight forward, But what exactly do I revise for IGCSE English Language? I left school years ago, and when I was taking English I had poems and stuff to revise? If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Thanks,

Scott
Original post by Goldcrest
Hey all, I'm sure there is a post on here about this somewhere so I do apologise!

I'm currently due to sit IGCSE Maths and English Language, both Spec A papers and they are both Edexcel, I'm currently just blasting through IGCSE maths on LearnersCloud and MyMaths, all seems well and straight forward, But what exactly do I revise for IGCSE English Language? I left school years ago, and when I was taking English I had poems and stuff to revise? If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Thanks,

Scott

Have you read the specification firstly? Its a start. Helps you understand what they are looking for when you write your exam.
How long have you been studying for and what's you study history? Is this your first time sitting GCSEs? Are you a private candidate or with a college? This will help me answer your questions :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
Have you read the specification firstly? Its a start. Helps you understand what they are looking for when you write your exam.
How long have you been studying for and what's you study history? Is this your first time sitting GCSEs? Are you a private candidate or with a college? This will help me answer your questions :smile:

Hello, well I applied for Greenes public examination I think, so it says on my private log in, I applied late December 2014 and my exams are in May 2015, they are English Language/Maths A IGCSE No coursework, This is my first time sitting IGCSE's, left school a few years ago, Being 21 now

As I said, on Learnerscloud and MyMaths they both do IGCSE maths so that answers that, however the IGCSE English Language I have no idea what to revise for and where to revise it.. LearnersCloud does English Language but is that the right place to learn on?

Hello, well I applied for Greenes public examination I think, so it says on my private log in, I applied late December 2014 and my exams are in May 2015, they are English Language/Maths A IGCSE No coursework, This is my first time sitting IGCSE's, left school a few years ago, Being 21 now

As I said, on Learnerscloud and MyMaths they both do IGCSE maths so that answers that, however the IGCSE English Language I have no idea what to revise for and where to revise it.. LearnersCloud does English Language but is that the right place to learn on?

I do recommend that you read the specification but to summarise:

This is from a document I created

English IGCSE Specification A

PAPER 1 [Worth 70% of total grade]:

Section A [AO2] Questions based on an unprepared non-fiction reading passage [20 marks]

Section B [AO2] 1) One questions will test the understanding of a section A anthology [10 marks]
2) One writing task based on the topic of the passage from section A [10 marks]
Section C [AO3] One writing task to inform, explain and/or describe [20 marks]

PAPER 2 [Worth30%]:

Question 1 [AO2] - One questions will test the understanding of a section B anthology [15 marks]

Question 2 [AO3] - One writing task to argue, persuade and/or advise [15 marks]

AO2 [worth 50% of total grade]:
The range of reading provided should include fiction and non-fiction texts, and should include texts from a variety of cultures and traditions. The range and purpose for reading should be wide, including reading for pleasure and reading to retrieve particular information for study purposes.

All students will be required to demonstrate an ability to:
(i) Read and understand texts with insight and engagement
(ii) Develop and sustain interpretations of writers’ ideas and perspectives
(iii) Understand and make some evaluation of how writers use linguistic and structural devices to achieve their effects.

AO3 [worth 50% of total grade]: Students must be provided with opportunities to write in a wide range of forms and genres to:
· Explore, imagine, entertain
· Inform, explain, describe
· Argue, persuade, advise.

(i) communicate clearly and appropriately, using and adapting forms for different readers and purposes
(ii) Organise ideas into sentences, paragraphs and whole texts using a variety of linguistic and structural features
(iii) Use a range of sentence structures effectively, with accurate punctuation and spelling.

The first part of both papers test your reading ability. So no need for fancy words or perfected structured sentences. Just read and try to get as many points as possible because that how you will get the marks. Talk about every single language technique you find as everything in the extract is valid. The second part of both papers are creative writing tasks where everything including grammar, punctuation, wide range of vocabulary should be used to gain the best marks.

You also need to learn the 20 anthologies given by edexcel. Especially the section B anthologies and you will need to write a detailed essay for that when it comes to the exams. The section A anthology essay is worth 10 marks whereas it is worth 15 marks for B. So think about how you allocate your studying time. Do lots of past papers going back to 2011. They have 2 series a year so thats good. Read examiners reports and browse through edexcel's learning resource. PM me if you want to talk more :smile:

Thanks,

Scott

For maths do lots of past paper/textbook questions.
Reply 5
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
I do recommend that you read the specification but to summarise:

This is from a document I created

English IGCSE Specification A

PAPER 1 [Worth 70% of total grade]:

Section A [AO2] Questions based on an unprepared non-fiction reading passage [20 marks]

Section B [AO2] 1) One questions will test the understanding of a section A anthology [10 marks]
2) One writing task based on the topic of the passage from section A [10 marks]
Section C [AO3] One writing task to inform, explain and/or describe [20 marks]

PAPER 2 [Worth30%]:

Question 1 [AO2] - One questions will test the understanding of a section B anthology [15 marks]

Question 2 [AO3] - One writing task to argue, persuade and/or advise [15 marks]

AO2 [worth 50% of total grade]:
The range of reading provided should include fiction and non-fiction texts, and should include texts from a variety of cultures and traditions. The range and purpose for reading should be wide, including reading for pleasure and reading to retrieve particular information for study purposes.

(i) Read and understand texts with insight and engagement
(ii) Develop and sustain interpretations of writers’ ideas and perspectives
(iii) Understand and make some evaluation of how writers use linguistic and structural devices to achieve their effects.

AO3 [worth 50% of total grade]: Students must be provided with opportunities to write in a wide range of forms and genres to:
· Explore, imagine, entertain
· Inform, explain, describe
· Argue, persuade, advise.

(i) communicate clearly and appropriately, using and adapting forms for different readers and purposes
(ii) Organise ideas into sentences, paragraphs and whole texts using a variety of linguistic and structural features
(iii) Use a range of sentence structures effectively, with accurate punctuation and spelling.

The first part of both papers test your reading ability. So no need for fancy words or perfected structured sentences. Just read and try to get as many points as possible because that how you will get the marks. Talk about every single language technique you find as everything in the extract is valid. The second part of both papers are creative writing tasks where everything including grammar, punctuation, wide range of vocabulary should be used to gain the best marks.

You also need to learn the 20 anthologies given by edexcel. Especially the section B anthologies and you will need to write a detailed essay for that when it comes to the exams. The section A anthology essay is worth 10 marks whereas it is worth 15 marks for B. So think about how you allocate your studying time. Do lots of past papers going back to 2011. They have 2 series a year so thats good. Read examiners reports and browse through edexcel's learning resource. PM me if you want to talk more :smile:

Thank you for a detailed reply! Sorry for being a total Spanner, but I'm still clueless as to what exactly I need to revise :frown: I looked on my Greenes account and it doesn't say what specification! I need to know what exactly to revise for the exams in June 2015 :frown:
Reply 6
I've put up a topic video vaguely related to this topic, if you would like to see it:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Essay-Writing-Guide/728579153859039?fref=ts
Original post by goldcrest
thank you for a detailed reply! Sorry for being a total spanner, but i'm still clueless as to what exactly i need to revise :frown: i looked on my greenes account and it doesn't say what specification! I need to know what exactly to revise for the exams in june 2015 :frown:

can you pls find out and tell me the anthology topics that came for january 2015 english language specification a for both paper one and two
Reply 8
Original post by student_2014
can you pls find out and tell me the anthology topics that came for january 2015 english language specification a for both paper one and two

I don't know mate but if you find out can tyou let me know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending