The Student Room Group

Political Compass

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I don't find the term "fag" funny in the same way I don't find people who call black people a "coon" funny. That stupid image of yours wasn't funny, it was just boring and made me cringe. There was no clever play on words, no subtext, no irony, no satire, just bone headed homophobia and stupidity in thinking you have made some kind of clever dismal of Green supporters or left libertarians by calling them "fags".

Stay mad, greenfag. ^_____-

Yes, stupid images, silly proposals! How dare they belittle the Green religion and it's opposing ideologies.
i'd say the centre is the best
Original post by HigherMinion
Stay mad, greenfag. ^_____-

Yes, stupid images, silly proposals! How dare they belittle the Green religion and it's opposing ideologies.

Basically using "fag" as a term of abuse implies being a "fag" is bad. Which is homophobic.

You could have called them a "tree hugger" whilst still being annoying isn't actually that bad in that it is ridiculing a political ideology, not someone sexuality which they an;t help and we have thankfully moved on as a society to the point where we are more accepting.

I hope I lived up to my expectation of being a woolly liberal lefty (which would also have been an acceptable term of ridicule)
Original post by OnlyGot1Offer
i'd say the centre is the best

If you subscribe to the idea the centre moves then the centre ground now if well to the right of the centre ground say 50 years ago economically speaking. If you view the centre as being a static entity then what is called centre now is very right wing. This idea that the centre is always best without actually looking at what the centre represents creates this...

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum."
(edited 9 years ago)
Basically using "fag" as a term of abuse implies being a "fag" is bad. Which is homophobic.

You could have called them a "tree hugger" whilst still being annoying isn't actually that bad in that it is ridiculing a political ideology, not someone sexuality which they an;t help and we have thankfully moved on as a society to the point where we are more accepting.

I hope I lived up to my expectation of being a woolly liberal lefty (which would also have been an acceptable term of ridicule)
looks like someones on their period today
The centre moves.

do you think you sound smart or something
do you think you sound smart or something

I explained it more in an edit. Noticing that what is mainstream one day is fringe another day is not that complicated thing to grasp. So no it doesn't make me sound smart. It might make other people sound stupid though :tongue:

If you subscribe to the idea the centre moves then the centre ground now is well to the right of the centre ground say 50 years ago economically speaking. If you view the centre as being a static entity then what is called centre now is very right wing. This idea that the centre is always best without actually looking at what the centre represents creates this...

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum."
(edited 9 years ago)
looks like someones on their period today

I'm always like this.
(edited 9 years ago)
I explained it more in an edit. Noticing that what is mainstream one day is fringe another day is not that complicated thing to grasp. So no it doesn't make me sound smart. It might make other people sound stupid though :tongue:

If you subscribe to the idea the centre moves then the centre ground now is well to the right of the centre ground say 50 years ago economically speaking. If you view the centre as being a static entity then what is called centre now is very right wing. This idea that the centre is always best without actually looking at what the centre represents creates this...

no need to get all philosophical about nothing. i was simply stating that someone who is in the centre of this graph in my honest opinion is the most intelligent

forget history or whatever. this is a simple test of personality, not a test of an economic system
If you subscribe to the idea

Ugh... Perspectives. Either an idea is right or wrong; if you can't measure the efficacy of your idea then it's wasted breath. It is demonstrable that the left constantly move goalposts, therefore there is no required "subscription" for it to be true that the centre is in fact a slow-moving progressive section of politics: just a few years behind the Left.

I wasn't insulting you personally, but I see I've struck a nerve.
Original post by HigherMinion
Ugh... Perspectives. Either an idea is right or wrong; if you can't measure the efficacy of your idea then it's wasted breath. It is demonstrable that the left constantly move goalposts, therefore there is no required "subscription" for it to be true that the centre is in fact a slow-moving progressive section of politics: just a few years behind the Left.

I wasn't insulting you personally, but I see I've struck a nerve.

It is not a left vs right thing. The centre now represents different politics than it did 60 years ago (if you think it moves). That is an objective historical statement. If you don't think it moves or are are using an centre point further in the left direction then Con/Lab/Lib are all very right wing economically.

It's like potential energy in physics. It doesn't matter where you stick the origin. All that matters is the change in energy between two points. But it is important you clarify where the origin is so people no what you are talking about and are on the same wavelength.

Basically it is just maths. And no there are lots of ideas that can not just be said to be right or wrong. You just missed the point I was making, that centre ground means something different depending on where you place the origin. Which is true.
(edited 9 years ago)
It is not a left vs right thing. The centre now represents different politics than it did 60 years ago (if you think it moves). That is an objective historical statement. If you don't think it moves or are are using an centre point further in the left direction then Con/Lab/Lib are all very right wing economically.

It's like potential energy in physics. It doesn't matter where you stick the origin. All that matters is the change in energy between two points. But it is important you clarify where the origin is so people no what you are talking about and are on the same wavelength.

Basically it is just maths. And no there are lots of ideas that can not just be said to be right or wrong. You just missed the point I was making, that centre ground means something different depending on where you place the origin. Which is true.
i can see why you didnt achieve the centre ground
i can see why you didnt achieve the centre ground

Ye, obviously people who can grasp simple concepts that others can't are lefty liberals :ahee:
I'm so far on the bottom left that I make the Dalai Lama look like a totalitarian neo-liberal.

But I've always thought of myself as being in the middle or centre-right.
It is not a left vs right thing.

Basically it is just maths.

You say 'basically' a lot. So, the Church has, for centuries, condemned acts of sodomy and homosexuality. Is it the centrist position to allow them to continue this long-standing tradition? Once homosexuality has been accepted in the church, does this become the new 'accepted centre'? The new left/liberal position becomes a war on other morals, such as incest and necrophilia.

An economic example, since the above was more about liberal vs. auth: there was once a point where the state supplies no national utilities, no state-wide education nor welfare support. Families supported themselves and each other as they saw fit. What is the centrist approach? Since we started far-right, individualist and separate (whilst at the same time united under a British state...) then it only leaves a single conclusion that we are forever heading towards more left-liberalism, until a line is drawn. I don't think it's possible to reverse.
I disagree with where the Parties are.
Original post by KingStannis
I disagree with where the Parties are.

go on..
go on..

Labour and the Tories seem too far right for one thing.

agreed. compared to america, we're ultra left wing.

Conservatives are probably closer to the centre; Labour several places left and much more authoritarian.

Quick Reply

Latest