The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Ask a Stranmillis Student :)

Ok so I've been contacted a few times asking about Stranmillis, the interview process and so on.
So I made this thread for anyone who has any question regarding the college :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi I had my interview about 2 weeks ago. When will offers or rejections be out? :smile:
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Original post by LauraElizabeth03
Hi I had my interview about 2 weeks ago. When will offers or rejections be out? :smile:

I didn't get my offer until around the end of March last year :smile:
Hi i have an interview in two weeks time, I was going to ask on any advice for the interview questions? Also I cannot decide between the two presentation topics, they both seem quite difficult:frown:(((
Thanks :smile: Do you no how they mark the interview? Is the presentation the most important part?
Original post by doglover97
Hi i have an interview in two weeks time, I was going to ask on any advice for the interview questions? Also I cannot decide between the two presentation topics, they both seem quite difficult:frown:(((

The interview questions are directed towards them getting an understanding of whether you have what it takes to be a teacher and to see if you have really thought about this career and definitely want to teach.
Are you going for primary or post primary?
When you decide on a presentation topic, I'm more than happy to help you out where I can.
The questions I got asked last year were:

1) What are the qualities of a teacher you admire and how would you develop these qualities in yourself?
2) Advantages and disadvantages for teachers of children of different countries coming into NI schools
3) Advantages of visiting schools abroad during teacher training
4) Anything else I want to add
5) Do I have any questions

EDIT: They also asked about current issues in education

They will almost certainly as question 5 so have a question prepared!

Original post by LauraElizabeth03
Thanks :smile: Do you no how they mark the interview? Is the presentation the most important part?

I'm nearly sure its 50/50 presentation and interview. However, they are also assessing you as a person and whether you are suited to teaching in the way you conduct yourself.
What course did you apply to?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
i had to make another account on this forgot my password for it and it wont send an email to reset.... but thank you! ive applied for primary education. my topic ive chosen is Topic A: “Drawing on your experience of working with children or young people, discuss the importance of creativity in promoting learning and development.” i have no idea how to structure a presentation on this and what to talk about :frown: i am going to use cue cards but i dont really know how to start or where to start? and with referring to experience of working with children i completed my work experience in a special school and i volunteer at the childrens hospice, i could maybe use examples of work experience but i want to draw on other experiences also? also in relation to the curriculum would it be useful to look into it in more depth ?
Do you have any advice on what to wear? i am a girl would trousers or a skirt be better? heels or flats what do you recommend?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by doglover3
i had to make another account on this forgot my password for it and it wont send an email to reset.... but thank you! ive applied for primary education. my topic ive chosen is Topic A:“Drawing on your experience of working with children or young people, discuss the importance of creativity in promoting learning and development.” i have no idea how to structure a presentation on this and what to talk about :frown: i am going to use cue cards but i dont really know how to start or where to start? and with referring to experience of working with children i completed my work experience in a special school and i volunteer at the childrens hospice, i could maybe use examples of work experience but i want to draw on other experiences also? also in relation to the curriculum would it be useful to look into it in more depth ?

I've colour coordinated so that you know which part I'm referring to and so that I remember to reply to everything.

Stranmillis place massive influence on active learning and play and developing creative classrooms.

Since you have applied to primary, your focus will be based on 5-11 year olds. You could talk about play and how its creativity stimulates children in earlier years of development giving them the opportunity to discover knowledge for themselves

Creative learning environments allow the teacher to create a lesson which is catered to the abilities of all children in the class.g Bring in some of your experience as a pupil and also from working in a special school

Teachers who develop creative lessons, that are not just the conventional teacher talking and pupils listening, creates a comfortable learning environment which allows children to develop skills. It is also more stimulating which leads to increased pupil enthusiasm

Creative approaches to teaching can allow for whole class participation in learning. Somewhat prevents the child from sitting silent

It allows the pupils interests to be brought into the classroom which will increase interest

Don't try to include too much experience. Pick out experiences which are relevant to the topic at hand and that you can easily apply to the points you wish to make. Any experience in working with children can be used!

Don't try to learn the curriculum, you are not expected to know it. Maybe look into the parts about creativity (play etc) a little, but don't overload yourself with information.

If anything is unclear or you want to know anything else, feel free to ask :smile:
Hi! I'm so glad I found a stranmillis student on this! My interview is in 10 days and I am freaking out. Do you have any advice for post primary RE? Or is the interview process kind of the same as primary? I'm also going to do topic A hopefully 😖

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for Early Years and Primary. :smile:
Original post by RebeccaFinlay
Hi! I'm so glad I found a stranmillis student on this! My interview is in 10 days and I am freaking out. Do you have any advice for post primary RE? Or is the interview process kind of the same as primary? I'm also going to do topic A hopefully 😖

Posted from TSR Mobile

My course is Post Primary RE :smile:

The interview process for all of te BEd (primary and post primary) is the same. Same questions etc

Do you have any specific questions/concerns?
Original post by l'insegnante

I've colour coordinated so that you know which part I'm referring to and so that I remember to reply to everything.

Stranmillis place massive influence on active learning and play and developing creative classrooms.

Since you have applied to primary, your focus will be based on 5-11 year olds. You could talk about play and how its creativity stimulates children in earlier years of development giving them the opportunity to discover knowledge for themselves

Creative learning environments allow the teacher to create a lesson which is catered to the abilities of all children in the class.g Bring in some of your experience as a pupil and also from working in a special school

Teachers who develop creative lessons, that are not just the conventional teacher talking and pupils listening, creates a comfortable learning environment which allows children to develop skills. It is also more stimulating which leads to increased pupil enthusiasm

Creative approaches to teaching can allow for whole class participation in learning. Somewhat prevents the child from sitting silent

It allows the pupils interests to be brought into the classroom which will increase interest

Don't try to include too much experience. Pick out experiences which are relevant to the topic at hand and that you can easily apply to the points you wish to make. Any experience in working with children can be used!

Don't try to learn the curriculum, you are not expected to know it. Maybe look into the parts about creativity (play etc) a little, but don't overload yourself with information.

If anything is unclear or you want to know anything else, feel free to ask :smile:

Thank you so much for all your help I really appreciate it! I have never given a presentation in my life before this so I am going to have to seriously practice. Right now I am currently looking up how to give good presentations and tips, and then I'm going to start working on what I'm actually going to say in my presentation.. I hope to finish it this weekend then i can start working on practicing it and then start working on some possible questions and answers... thanks again for all your help! :smile:
My course is Post Primary RE :smile:

The interview process for all of te BEd (primary and post primary) is the same. Same questions etc

Do you have any specific questions/concerns?

Oh fab! What examples could I use to talk about creativity in secondary education? I'm not really sure where to start. Currently trying to get ideas down before I write the presentation and I'm getting nowhere haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
P.s. your ideas above are really helpful. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh fab! What examples could I use to talk about creativity in secondary education? I'm not really sure where to start. Currently trying to get ideas down before I write the presentation and I'm getting nowhere haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

The revised curriculum for Key Stage 3 (Years 8-10) places a lot of emphasis on Active Learning which gives teachers more opportunities to plan creative lessons through a range of activities.
Creativity in the classroom can be used even up to A-Level by encouraging the making of posters etc for revision materials.

What kind of experience do you have in schools?
The revised curriculum for Key Stage 3 (Years 8-10) places a lot of emphasis on Active Learning which gives teachers more opportunities to plan creative lessons through a range of activities.
Creativity in the classroom can be used even up to A-Level by encouraging the making of posters etc for revision materials.

What kind of experience do you have in schools?

I could talk about my work experience in a primary school and I teach piano and violin. I also taught in India for 2 weeks as part of a volunteer programme. Should I mention my experience as a pupil or focus more on my teaching experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have mine on the second of February, its for post primary tech and design, glad to find threads on Stranmillis! There never seems to be a lot of people from N.I on this. How is everyone giving their presentation? Power point, talking, posters ect? I don't want it to be just me standing talking in case it doesn't keep their attention but I don't want to rely on technology and risk it not working on the day.
Printing off the power point in case it doesn't work is an option but then you risk them sitting reading it/jumping ahead and not listening to you.
Original post by student2312
I have mine on the second of February, its for post primary tech and design, glad to find threads on Stranmillis! There never seems to be a lot of people from N.I on this. How is everyone giving their presentation? Power point, talking, posters ect? I don't want it to be just me standing talking in case it doesn't keep their attention but I don't want to rely on technology and risk it not working on the day.

Original post by student2312
Printing off the power point in case it doesn't work is an option but then you risk them sitting reading it/jumping ahead and not listening to you.

You're not expected to use any form of technology or posters. Last year we were told not too as it takes too long to set up.
The presentations just involved standing talking
(edited 9 years ago)
I could talk about my work experience in a primary school and I teach piano and violin. I also taught in India for 2 weeks as part of a volunteer programme. Should I mention my experience as a pupil or focus more on my teaching experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could mix both or just talk about teaching experience or any experience working with young people. It's entitely up to you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending