The Student Room Group

Why should it be acceptable for women to look like this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArtGoblin
I will never understand why people treat the size of other people's bodies as a moral issue. It's her body and her health - as long as we provide people with the right information and help if they want it then it's no-one else's business what size she is. It's not encouraging other women to be to her size - we live in a society where being thin is still the beauty ideal so you guys worrying about women aspiring to look like her by going to McDonalds every night can calm down. The reason why people worry about girls being influenced by very underweight models is because that image is so pervasive and so ingrained in our society as the only way to be beautiful. Fat models provide an alternative to that.

Society bears the cost of ill health. That means that serious health concerns on a large scale are a problem for everyone.
Reply 81
[video="youtube;U708pyoDxM4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U708pyoDxM4[/video]

TurboCretin
x

tumblr has numerous fat men in the fatspiration obesity thing
Original post by slg60
I find it hilarious that you implied that I am stupid, with the cough, yet you did not understand the argument I put forward :bigsmile:, I said that we are not designed to solve the mysteries of the universe, yet we are.

Another illustration of your idocy is that you thing liberal is an insult, being a liberal is not being selfish, its about caring about others, rather than caring about your money, like the right wing. In essence you tried to insult me by saying I'm empathetic... Good job, truly.

Pardon my lack of perceptiveness, sarcasm doesn't come across well over the internet... and when you listed it with the rest of your argument it did sound like you implied we aren't designed for that..

I never said being liberal was an insult, I said that having a liberal lets not offend anyone attitude has contributed to this problem we've got, whereby being overweight and obese is now being accepted as 'ok', and she's essentially congratulated for uploading a picture of herself... good for her... but frankly I dont care if its not PC, or empathetic, but I dont think she should be congratulated for being overweight (regardless of whether she uploads a picture of herself half naked and labels it empowering or what). By congratulating her it implies that her lifestyle choices are okay and beneficiary, and therefore makes other severely overweight or obese people think its okay and not an issue. It all contributes to this notion that being fat is an okay or a good thing. Like being underweight, its not. Its not good for you; and if people who are very overweight carry on living the way they are, they'll end up paying the price for it later in life. Its as simple as that.
Original post by HarryDn
[video="youtube;U708pyoDxM4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U708pyoDxM4[/video]

tumblr has numerous fat men in the fatspiration obesity thing

Ah, numerous men. I stand corrected.
Reply 84
Guys i think everyone has the right to look the way they want. However, bear in mind that pictures both like the girl and the guys you have posted show people struggling with obesity. This is neither healthy, nor ''acceptable'' in a way that we should consider it normal!
Society has a prejudice against fat people.

I blame the media
The media affects the way people think and perceive things

Take models, for example
Reply 86
Original post by Chriswhjay
Pardon my lack of perceptiveness, sarcasm doesn't come across well over the internet... and when you listed it with the rest of your argument it did sound like you implied we aren't designed for that..

I never said being liberal was an insult, I said that having a liberal lets not offend anyone attitude has contributed to this problem we've got, whereby being overweight and obese is now being accepted as 'ok', and she's essentially congratulated for uploading a picture of herself... good for her... but frankly I dont care if its not PC, or empathetic, but I dont think she should be congratulated for being overweight (regardless of whether she uploads a picture of herself half naked and labels it empowering or what). By congratulating her it implies that her lifestyle choices are okay and beneficiary, and therefore makes other severely overweight or obese people think its okay and not an issue. It all contributes to this notion that being fat is an okay or a good thing. Like being underweight, its not. Its not good for you; and if people who are very overweight carry on living the way they are, they'll end up paying the price for it later in life. Its as simple as that.

You still don't understand and I have no patience so forget I even said it.

You just aren't a very good person are you.
Reply 87
I shall just exit the thread and not comment.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Bet she describes herself on POF as 'bubbly'.

Bubbly because her anatomy looks like the last part of Titanic, you know just before it sunk completely.
Original post by sherlockfan
why should it be acceptable for men to look like this?

check out the belly on this one.

#average weight 2025
If a person screws themselves over with obesity it's fine, but it's not anything to be proud of.
why should it be acceptable for men to look like this?

Whether it's "acceptable" is a stupid question. To be fair though, there are a lot more women showing off their bodies in the media and on social media sites.
Original post by CarpeDiem.
Society has a prejudice against fat people.

I blame the media
The media affects the way people think and perceive things

Take models, for example

The media has certainly made the situation worse, but fat people have always been a figure of fun. Obviously I don't think they should be made fun of, but glorifying obesity is hardly the answer.
Original post by holmes221
check out the belly on this one.

#average weight 2025

Bollux! In America they call that "underweight", and thats the medical definition in 2015 not 2025.
freedom to offend?
last time i heard that wasn't a thing.

I suppose you haven't been following the threads on the Charlie Hebdo attack? But I guess it's freedom to offend only Muslims...
Reply 95
lol BBW
She's got a really pretty face though...
Original post by Wilfred Little
Bet she describes herself on POF as 'bubbly'.

They always do that. :lol:
Original post by Laomedeia
Bollux! In America they call that "underweight", and thats the medical definition in 2015 not 2025.

So this guy is considered anorexic?
It shouldn't be.

Quick Reply

Latest