The Student Room Group

what is going wrong?

what is:

Czdz\oint_C {\sqrt{z} dz}

where

C=zC:z=3C={{z\in \mathbb{C}: |z|=3}}

Using the parametrization z=3eit;t=0..2πz=3e^{it}; t=0..2\pi gives the solution as 43-4\sqrt{3}.

However; Using the parametrization z=3eit;t=π..πz=3e^{it}; t=-\pi..\pi gives the solution as 43i-4\sqrt{3}i.

Should they not be the same?
Reply 1
Original post by user6
what is:

Czdz\oint_C {\sqrt{z} dz}

where

C=zC:z=3C={{z\in \mathbb{C}: |z|=3}}

Using the parametrization z=3eit;t=0..2πz=3e^{it}; t=0..2\pi gives the solution as 43-4\sqrt{3}.

However; Using the parametrization z=3eit;t=π..πz=3e^{it}; t=-\pi..\pi gives the solution as 43i-4\sqrt{3}i.

Should they not be the same?

z\sqrt z has two branches. When you change parameterisation you are also changing the branch (assuming you are taking eiθ=eiθ/2\sqrt{e^{i\theta}} = e^{i\theta/2}).
Your second answer is correct for what is usually taken to be the principle value.
Reply 2
Original post by Nebula
z\sqrt z has two branches. When you change parameterisation you are also changing the branch (assuming you are taking eiθ=eiθ/2\sqrt{e^{i\theta}} = e^{i\theta/2}).
Your second answer is correct for what is usually taken to be the principle value.

I not sure I understand you? How does changing the parametrization change the branch?
Reply 3
Original post by user6
I not sure I understand you? How does changing the parametrization change the branch?

Do you understand why you need a branch cut in the complex plane when trying to evaluate the integral of z\sqrt{z}?

You won't get the same answer for your integral if you use different ranges for the parameterisation angle - that's the point :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by user6

have you come across branch cuts?
Reply 5
Original post by davros
Do you understand why you need a branch cut in the complex plane when trying to evaluate the integral of z\sqrt{z}?

You won't get the same answer for your integral if you use different ranges for the parameterisation angle - that's the point :smile:

So the positive real axis is a branch cut right? I not really sure why i need a branch cut though? I thought different parametrization should give the same answer?

Original post by TeeEm
have you come across branch cuts?

yes, I have never used them in practice though and I am a bit confused :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by user6
So the positive real axis is a branch cut right? I not really sure why i need a branch cut though? I thought different parametrization should give the same answer?

(

As Nebula mentioned, the usual convention is to take a branch cut along the negative real axis and let theta (or t or whatever) range from π-\pi to π\pi.

You cannot allow your function to cross a branch cut - think about what happens to the value of the function if you could!
Reply 7
Original post by davros
As Nebula mentioned, the usual convention is to take a branch cut along the negative real axis and let theta (or t or whatever) range from π-\pi to π\pi.

You cannot allow your function to cross a branch cut - think about what happens to the value of the function if you could!

This is what is confusing me? How do I decide on a branch cut e.g. why the negative real axis and not the positive real axis. I know this is a simple case - this is the easiest example I could think of where this problem is present - more generally how do I decide on a branch cut?
Reply 8
Original post by user6

yes, I have never used them in practice though and I am a bit confused :frown:

when you have fractional powers or logs you have a branch cut starting from the branch point (here z=0) all the way to infinity
so different parameterizations produce different answers depending where the cut is

Quick Reply

Latest