The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by benq
I agree with your first point. But I don't think that it matters. We can only assume that they give an equal amount of offers to both Economics and IR applicants. At least I don't see any reason to think otherwise.

Where is the evidence that IR applicants are of such significantly lower standard than the Economics ones? In fact, if we look at the entry standards for Politics at LSE in 2015, it says 545 tariff points. For Economics it is 576. That's quite an insignificant difference. Furthermore, IR applicants usually have way more impressive ECs than economists. Apart from grades that also determines the quality of the applicant. So I wouldn't downgrade IR only because "everybody knows Econ is the elite" as Daltohn was so kind to point out.

ECs mean nothing unless they're relevant. They don't care if you climbed Mount Kilimanjaro, saved a baby from a burning building or have done the Tour De France. Well first of all entry requirements are higher, which indicates higher demand for the subject. The process is more rigid. It is the only course at LSE they actively encourage people to take 4 A Levels and ask for UMS marks - which indicates they need more information to make informed decisions on applicants due to the competition, which isn't the case for other subjects. And from what I've seen on TSR and friends of mine who applied and got offers all had solid credentials. Whereas it's not uncommon for LSE to give offers for AAA courses to those with more modest performances (without trying to offend anyone) as long as they excel in areas such as the PS. I've seen it many times last year.

Anyways it's not difficult to imagine that a school with such a strong reputation for Economics would attract exceptional applicants for the subject, whereas for a lot of other disciplines it's less well-known for. There's a reason nobody mentions the "Political Science" part of it's name :wink:.

Edit: And for your point on UCAS points they are roughly correlated with A Level achievement is it not? And Econ has the highest of any subject at LSE so erm yh... The difference would be much larger if you factor out the "way more impressive ECs" you claim they have.
(edited 9 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by benq
I haven't seen anybody with lower grades getting an offer from LSE. Not even once. Please provide evidence if you decide to insist on this point. Furthermore, even if somebody did get in with lower grades, it is an exception, not the rule. I am sure everybody here would agree with me that getting an offer from LSE with ABCD at A-level is extremely unlikely. That's why I was so surprised. And yes - it was surprise, not disrespect or whatever you saw there.

And no, I doubt that she needs an apology. No self-content person "needs" an apology on an internet forum from a stranger.

Alright. If she sent it to save somebody's trouble, then don't claim that she did it to prove something. And that "she had to". That's purely ridiculous.

What? So every time I am doubting something - I am automatically proclaiming that I am an expert in the field? What kind of logic is that?

My friend got CCC last year at AS and she got a conditional offer to study History at LSE
Original post by lildchic
Well al I can is that I've been following this thread since page 1 and i have browsed last years and people have gotten offers with lower grades and withthe right resits they have been able to go.

You did downgrade her offer when you said 'To receive an offer for IR at LSE with ABCD at AS? Sounds legit!' and yeah well I dont need the apology really she does...

Which brings me on to why I took it so seriously becuse I personally think its rude and disrespectful and I dont like that.

I know she posed that of her own accord but so far every time someone posts the got ab offer someone says 'what are your stats?' So I guess she was saving them the trouble of asking.

Also, you did claim to have insight when you stated your doubts over her offer.

Chill out, or I will profit maximise yo ass
Original post by MrBowcat
Chill out, or I will profit maximise yo ass

LOL I have no chill. Sorry 😂
Anything is possible God willing.
Original post by benq
I haven't seen anybody with lower grades getting an offer from LSE. Not even once. Please provide evidence if you decide to insist on this point. Furthermore, even if somebody did get in with lower grades, it is an exception, not the rule. I am sure everybody here would agree with me that getting an offer from LSE with ABCD at A-level is extremely unlikely. That's why I was so surprised. And yes - it was surprise, not disrespect or whatever you saw there.

And no, I doubt that she needs an apology. No self-content person "needs" an apology on an internet forum from a stranger.

Alright. If she sent it to save somebody's trouble, then don't claim that she did it to prove something. And that "she had to". That's purely ridiculous.

What? So every time I am doubting something - I am automatically proclaiming that I am an expert in the field? What kind of logic is that?

This is actually long...
No I'm not going to get evidence his is not a court case and i cannot be bothered but i you would like read the early pages.

You were the one that said 'i apologise' in regards to downgrading her offer so actually i was just telling you redirect that apology.

I'm not saying your an 'expert in the field' because its obvious you're not but you didn't believe her in a condescending tone.
If it was for econ we'd all be like, tell us your secret PLZZZZ!!!! Does anybody think if I send ug admissions a nice letter, a box of chocolates and a small donation I can expect to recieve an offer this Thursday?
Original post by daalchaval
Anything is possible God willing.

So true!
In my opinion Law and Econ are the most popular courses at LSE. IR May have a worse offer to applicant ratio but the overall level of applicants is lower.

#MC=MR lol

Anymore vids like the other 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undisclosed 15
In my opinion Law and Econ are the most popular courses at LSE. IR May have a worse offer to applicant ratio but the overall level of applicants is lower.

#MC=MR lol

Anymore vids like the other 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I recently stumbled across this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx4poQw1mZo
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I recently stumbled across this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx4poQw1mZo

Lol good banter
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
ECs mean nothing unless they're relevant. They don't care if you climbed Mount Kilimanjaro, saved a baby from a burning or have done the Tour De France...

I climbed Kilimanjaro last summer and put it on my PS lol
Anybody on this thread doing the ifs student investor challenge?
Hello, I am in Year 12 and wishing to apply to studying Economics next year. For those who have already sent their personal statement, how did you guys convey your interest for Economics? Any tips on the structure and what to include?
Original post by gohohome
Hi! I am an offer holder for Bsc International Relations (L250). Uhh... I got 4A*s, 5As and 2Bs at GCSE

2As in Geography and Critical Thinking (I don't know if that A really counts though lol), a B in Government and Politics, a C in English Lit and a D in Economics in AS. I have a few resits to do, what can I say :wink:

I think my personal statement was pretty strong, and I'm predicted an A* in Geog, an A in English Lit and a B in Gov. and Politics. Yeah, that's right, an odd combo of A*AB predicted grades (worked for me in the end though).

The offer I received was the standard AAA.

I read your personal statement and it was brilliant, you've done a great deal of worthwhile things and I see why the tutors were inclined to give you an offer. You have a great opportunity at a great university so work hard and don't miss out on your AAA. All the best :smile:
Original post by benq
To receive an offer for IR at LSE with ABCD at AS? Sounds legit!

I understand what you meant with it sounding unreal she received an offer for IR with those AS results but remember the offer has conditions of AAA, she has to achieve that firstly. Impressing admission tutors with a great personal statement, what she did, can get you an offer but you have to follow it through with academic results. There are students who get offers with straight A AS results, mediocre personal statements (relative to good ones of LSE standard) and fail to meet their offer. So if she gets the grades then she deserved her place I think!

What confuses me is that LSE, along with other universities, usually instantly reject someone when they don't meet the minimum requirement, as I've seen done to others in the past. With A*AB predictions for an AAA course she's very lucky to get a place!
UCAS Y U SPAM ME AGAIN!?!?!?!? FFS stop it and deliver my offer already!
Original post by tazza ma razza
UCAS Y U SPAM ME AGAIN!?!?!?!? FFS stop it and deliver my offer already!

Calm down. The A n F department is gonna wake up in around June I think. Considering that the latest they gonna give offers out by is July. Now just sip some tea and meditate :smile:
Original post by Zenith154
Calm down. The A n F department is gonna wake up in around June I think. Considering that the latest they gonna give offers out by is July. Now just sip some tea and meditate :smile:

Lol it im waiting in pain as well :frown: #a&fstruggle

Posted from TSR Mobile
That UCAS email almost made me leap out of my seat...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending