The Student Room Group

A2 WJEC Biology Help-Bad Teacher

I am currently doing A2 WJEC Biology and last year I loved it and I managed to just get an A in it.
But my teacher left and the new teacher has come from an AQA college and she isn't a good teacher! the content is super hard, she doesn't go through the notes, she doesn't even say what topic we are on just teaches! So biology this year I feel bombarded in all the things I don't know, every lesson she teaches something new without any re-cap or exam technique! My grades from mocks are awful and she doesn't show the slightest concern.

So does anyone have any suggestions how to teach yourself a subject from a textbook?
Original post by LaurenS96
I am currently doing A2 WJEC Biology and last year I loved it and I managed to just get an A in it.
But my teacher left and the new teacher has come from an AQA college and she isn't a good teacher! the content is super hard, she doesn't go through the notes, she doesn't even say what topic we are on just teaches! So biology this year I feel bombarded in all the things I don't know, every lesson she teaches something new without any re-cap or exam technique! My grades from mocks are awful and she doesn't show the slightest concern.

So does anyone have any suggestions how to teach yourself a subject from a textbook?

I am in the same situation as you, my tutor is new and this is her first year teaching anyone, she hasnt een finished her teacher training and before she started teaching she was a research scientist and she teaches us as if we are university graduates which is hard for us and i end up teaching myself.

What i do and suggest you try do (depending on if your teacher is nice) is try talking to your teacher at the end of class and ask what you are doing the next lesson because this allows you to do some reseach and forward reading about the subject and if you know a bit about the subject before she teaches it, it is more likely to sink in, thats what i found. if she wont tell you what you are doing the next lesson write some key words down throughout the lesson and research them when you get back home after class, try to do this the same day though because it is fresh on your mind and you are more likely to get more out of it. right now i have an assignment on tissue fluids and the teacher hasnt even mentioned it never mind taught it so i know how you feel. in the meantime if you would like to tell me the subjects you are doing i might be able to help because i am doing biology too and have submitted most of my assignments already and i can try to be of some kind of help to you

Good luck, im here if you want more advice... were in the same boat and it is very hard
Original post by LaurenS96

As well as using a textbook to go through things I would use this (skip to page 34 for the start of BY4) to see what you are expected to know. Also do past papers, mark and annotate areas that you need to improve. You'll see repeats of questions anyway, so if you know how to answer questions properly that will make it much easier for you.
I'm also doing WJEC A2 Biology and understand it quite well, so if you need help on specific topics I can try and help you.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest