The Student Room Group

Best anti virus for Mac?

If yes which is the best one to use?
Reply 1
I just use one of the best free ones by a google search. Some people say they don't need it.
Reply 2
Original post by kumon
I just use one of the best free ones by a google search. Some people say they don't need it.

hmm

whats the best one/
Original post by xxvine
hmm

whats the best one/

AVG, Avast, etc

Even for my desktop I use a combo of Avast and Malwarebytes, one for anti-virus the other for malware, adware, etc
Original post by xxvine

Hey

One of the main pros of having a mac is that it ha sit's own antivirus. You do not need anything else :biggrin:
Macs do not need an anti-virus, since most malware is written for Windows systems anyway, why bother?
Reply 6
Original post by xxvine

Personally I use Sophos for Mac. Sophos normally make anti-virus for businesses and services but have a free 'home' edition for Mac users.

Original post by dafuk
Macs do not need an anti-virus, since most malware is written for Windows systems anyway, why bother?

You're right, most malware and viruses are written for Windows, but Macs still need it. In recent years there's been plenty of trojans and viruses going around because people believe that Macs won't get infected, yet hundreds of thousands of Macs do...
Original post by dp247
In recent years there's been plenty of trojans and viruses going around because people believe that Macs won't get infected, yet hundreds of thousands of Macs do...

Plenty? I can only think of a couple serious ones and they weren't even that widespread, you had to be on some mega shifty sites to get infected. In my 6+ years of ownership neither I nor anyone else with one has ever been infected so I've never seen why people are so insistent it's necessary. Even on Windows, you pretty much don't get viruses unless you're on places you shouldn't be :tongue:
Nice to see a Mac user who actually is scared of viruses XD, I would recommend Avira its free and better than paid anti virus such as Norton and Kaspersky it also has higher detection rates than AVG or Avast. It comes with a firewall manager better than default and is very fast at scanning and very comprehensive it scans anything it gets the chance to and scans your computers startup processes. I could go on... Also their anti virus for mobile is fantastic.

:smile: hope this helps remember to stay security savvy as all the anti virus in the world cannot defend you.
Reply 9
Original post by alexschmalex
Plenty? I can only think of a couple serious ones and they weren't even that widespread, you had to be on some mega shifty sites to get infected. In my 6+ years of ownership neither I nor anyone else with one has ever been infected so I've never seen why people are so insistent it's necessary. Even on Windows, you pretty much don't get viruses unless you're on places you shouldn't be :tongue:

All I will say is that there are anti-virus programs for Mac and if they weren't needed, they wouldn't have been made :tongue:
Original post by Iqbal007
AVG, Avast, etc

Even for my desktop I use a combo of Avast and Malwarebytes, one for anti-virus the other for malware, adware, etc

Yeah I use AVG and an antimalware too
Reply 11
Original post by MarxistCarrot
Nice to see a Mac user who actually is scared of viruses XD, I would recommend Avira its free and better than paid anti virus such as Norton and Kaspersky it also has higher detection rates than AVG or Avast. It comes with a firewall manager better than default and is very fast at scanning and very comprehensive it scans anything it gets the chance to and scans your computers startup processes. I could go on... Also their anti virus for mobile is fantastic.

:smile: hope this helps remember to stay security savvy as all the anti virus in the world cannot defend you.

avira, sophos, clamxav....which is the best lol?
Sophos is awful, I will support ClamAV because it is open source and very good in some situations however I think avira may be better for your situation as ClamAV is usually not for consumer use and more for geeks and tinkerers :smile: hope this helps
Original post by dp247
All I will say is that there are anti-virus programs for Mac and if they weren't needed, they wouldn't have been made :tongue:

They aren't needed. These companies will sell gullible people expensive junk "security suites" or whatever to prop up their moribund business.
That is true for some companies such as Mcafee and Norton ect but some anti viruses are pretty good and have a good service. You do not need to pay for a good anti virus some of the free ones are better than the paid ones.

Quick Reply

Latest