The Student Room Group

Can I join sixth form a year late?

hello
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Luna_Annie
Basically, I'm in year 11 now and next year instead of getting straight to sixth form, I want to do a year-long German exchange immersion program (with CIEE, i'll stay with a host-family and go to a local high school and stuff), to become basically fluent and experience something new, ect..
However, when I return I still want go to a proper sixth form (I don't want to go to a collage) and I'm worried i'll be too old and no where will accept me in at year 12. I will be 17-19, instead of 16-18. Is that allowed?:confused:
And also, thinking ahead if something terrible did happen during my sixth form years, then what am I still allowed a resit year? A 'second gap-year' if I don't get into a good uni first time round?:s-smilie::s-smilie:

Btw, i want to take F maths, maths, physics, german and possibly computing (pending how well i can teach myself maths before hand and how good i get at german) and then do some sort of engineering at uni.

Ok, so thats a lot of questions but any advice would be amazing :smile:
Thanks

I think you'd have to start from Year 12, because you'd be missing the first half of all of your A-Levels. You can start from scratch at a Sixth Form from the age of 17 and finish when you're 19 too, it shouldn't be a problem although you'll be a year behind everyone else in your year group. I'm not sure about resitting though.

Quick Reply

Latest