The Student Room Group

Snobbiest group?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RayApparently
Blu-ray drives a great for watching blu-rays. Something I do all the time. I'm not sure about the X1, PS4 plays 1080p no problem. The frame-rates etc. are really not that big of a deal. After 60fps it just stops mattering imo. The multimedia features of a PC aren't really relevant because you don't by a gaming PC for those features. All that stuff comes on a smartphone. Although a console can do multimedia + internet nowadays. You say bigger selection and maybe, that's true this generation but lats generation you just wouldn't be able to feel it. However many indie games are out there it just isn't important if you were never going to buy them anyway. Input controls are a matter of preference. Nothing 'undeniable' about it. If I had a gaming PC I'd buy a controller asap. My last console that broke was a PS1. And 'I can easily replace broken parts in my gaming device' isn't exactly something to get snobby about. PS Online started charging only this Gen and the perks are great. DMC, BioInf and Hitman for free? Beautiful. LAN is a pretty specific and rare situation to boast about. I don't know anything about PC MP support. I've heard more exclusives a lot but quite frankly they're nothing to brag about - my PC gaming friends use that argument and they don't even play the indie games. Once Minecraft (which I dislike anyway) and Terraria (which I do like) came to console the bridge was closed imo. There are quite a few indie games just on PS4 now anyway. Don't really need to be a PC gamer to emulate - but no denying that's one of the best perks.

I didn't claim consoles a better than PCs, just that PCs weren't (in my experience and obviously for my needs) better than consoles. This isn't about which is better, this is about the immensely annoying bragging you here from some PC gamers about their super expensive tech is justified. The stereotype of a 'master-race' PC gamer is someone with an overly-expensive PC with a superiority complex who posts hate on trailers for console exclusives like TLOU. Wether you prefer PC or console has nothing to do with wether that kind of person is a 'snob'.

The PS4 might play video fine at 1080p, you're not going to reach 60fps at 1080p in any high graphic games on the PS4 though. And anyway, the point is that lots of console games have capped framerates and by design, they have worse graphics than the PC versions because of console hardware limitations. You can't seriously tell me that a smartphone or console replaces a PC for multimedia facilities. The PC is undoubtedly the best platform for internet browsing (of course you can do it on a phone or console but the input is clunkier and everything works on the PC whereas lots of stuff is incompatible with mobile devices). And once again, work. If you've got a gaming PC, you've got everything you will ever need. If you get a console, you'll need to get a laptop or cheap desktop for work. With a gaming PC, not only do you have it all in one but it's much more convenient and your work gets much easier because everything just works faster. Assuming you'd spend £300 on a laptop otherwise, you're instantly making hundreds of pounds worth of savings with a gaming PC. And you can't seriously tell me that a gaming controller is better than the keyboard and mouse... you perform better in virtually all games with the keyboard and mouse. The mouse is so much more precise than a controller (you're not going to get 1000dpi-tier performance with a controller!) and once again, the keyboard actually allows you to type which means that productivity is physically possible. Being able to replace parts is absolutely something to boast about, it means your hardware will cost much less in the long term.

None of those games are free, because you're paying for PS Online. It's not free if you pay, that's not what free means. You could get all of them for much less during a Steam sale anyway. And once again, titles cost much less on the PC in general. On Steam, your average title is £10-15 and even brand new AAAs are rarely more than £25. And I don't understand how you can claim PC exclusives aren't anything to brag about... have you even looked at Steam? Many of the top rated games of all time are PC exclusives. There may be an increasing number of indie titles on consoles but it doesn't change the fact that PCs have by far the most indie titles because it's the easiest platform to publish on. And once again, I mention modding which is one of the biggest plusses of a lot of modern games. Skyrim for instance is infinitely more fun on the PC than on a console.

The whole PC Master Race thing on reddit isn't about boasting about who has the most expensive kit. People like showcasing their hardware because it's a hobby and powerful hardware is exciting (you can't tell me your heart-rate doesn't slightly increase when you see a four-way GTX980 SLI?!) but the basic principle is that PCs are better in virtually every way, including value for money. You can look at the subreddit yourself, they have lots of links for budget builds.

And anyway, I find it really ironic how people with 'expensive' gaming PCs are slated for wasting money, when it's perfectly acceptable for people to spend £1500 upwards on a mac. Regardless of how much your PC costs, if you choose the components well, you're going to get good bang for your buck. Same definitely cannot be said for the extortionate macs people are perfectly happy shelling thousands out for.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chlorophile
TNone of those games are free, because you're paying for PS Online. It's not free if you pay, that's not what free means. You could get all of them for much less during a Steam sale anyway. And once again, titles cost much less on the PC in general. On Steam, your average title is £10-15 and even brand new AAAs are rarely more than £25. And I don't understand how you can claim PC exclusives aren't anything to brag about... have you even looked at Steam? Many of the top rated games of all time are PC exclusives. There may be an increasing number of indie titles on consoles but it doesn't change the fact that PCs have by far the most indie titles because it's the easiest platform to publish on.

Well, new AAAs are often more than £25, not for too long, but they are. On the exlusive front, what it is, something like 20k+ PC exclusive, sure, most of them will be crap, but even if only 1% are good there are still more good PC exclusives than there are exclusives on PS3, 4 360 and xbone combined.
I don't get why any of those groups listed would be particularly snobby. In my experience, snobby people are almost always people who were born into money and have been raised to look down on anyone who isn't like them.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Well, new AAAs are often more than £25, not for too long, but they are. On the exlusive front, what it is, something like 20k+ PC exclusive, sure, most of them will be crap, but even if only 1% are good there are still more good PC exclusives than there are exclusives on PS3, 4 360 and xbone combined.

It's still pretty rare that you see new games released on Steam for more than that and anyway, as you say, they quickly drop in price. Steam sales are one of the greatest thing in PC gaming - you'd never be able to pick up relatively new AAA titles for <£5 on a console store as far as I know.
It's still pretty rare that you see new games released on Steam for more than that and anyway, as you say, they quickly drop in price. Steam sales are one of the greatest thing in PC gaming - you'd never be able to pick up relatively new AAA titles for <£5 on a console store as far as I know.

I think I shall challenge that claim. Hardly an extensive list of AAA titles, but let's at least look at some of the larger ones (and then some of the ones that you would expect to go down faster)
Well, don't have sims 4 listed on steam, but 3, despite being years old and 4 being out, is still £25 on steam, bust £50 on origin
Witcher 3: £40
GTA V: £40
Atilla: £30 (and I think Rome II was £40 on launch, still 30 16 months on)
Borderlands TPS: still £30
Alien Isolation, still £32
The Crew: still £45 (although that is ubisoft)
Civ beyond earth: still 30
If we look through the CoDs: 11-13 are still £40, 7-10 are all 30, 4-6 all 20, others 15. And all that's ignoring DLCs
Stick of Truth, still 40, admittedly EA though
Hardline I think is full blown 50, although BF4 is only 15

Of course, then tehre is the likes of bioshock infinite, now down to 20, I remember seeing ME3 in Tesco not too long after launch for 25, FC3 is 15 on steam.

Actually, for the **** that EA gets I was surprised that a lot of stuff on origin is priced a lot better than things on steam. Origin is bloody expensive on launch, but goes down fast when it does go down.
I think I shall challenge that claim. Hardly an extensive list of AAA titles, but let's at least look at some of the larger ones (and then some of the ones that you would expect to go down faster)
Well, don't have sims 4 listed on steam, but 3, despite being years old and 4 being out, is still £25 on steam, bust £50 on origin
Witcher 3: £40
GTA V: £40
Atilla: £30 (and I think Rome II was £40 on launch, still 30 16 months on)
Borderlands TPS: still £30
Alien Isolation, still £32
The Crew: still £45 (although that is ubisoft)
Civ beyond earth: still 30
If we look through the CoDs: 11-13 are still £40, 7-10 are all 30, 4-6 all 20, others 15. And all that's ignoring DLCs
Stick of Truth, still 40, admittedly EA though
Hardline I think is full blown 50, although BF4 is only 15

Of course, then tehre is the likes of bioshock infinite, now down to 20, I remember seeing ME3 in Tesco not too long after launch for 25, FC3 is 15 on steam.

Actually, for the **** that EA gets I was surprised that a lot of stuff on origin is priced a lot better than things on steam. Origin is bloody expensive on launch, but goes down fast when it does go down.

Witcher, GTA and Atilla all don't count because they're pre-orders. I accept Borderlands, Alien Isolation was on sale recently, The Crew was also on sale recently (and it's ubisoft), Civ Beyond Earth was half price a few weeks ago if I remember correctly, CoD and Stick of Truth I accept. Obviously there are a few which are expensive but the overwhelming majority aren't.

And I hate Origin, can't stand it. And obviously it's owned by EA so I'm having nothing to do with it anyway, terrible company.
Reply 46
Without doubt "real music" people.

It seems like 75% of all comments on Youtube are about how great "Real Music" is and how Gaga and 1D are going to cause the apocalypse.
Witcher, GTA and Atilla all don't count because they're pre-orders. I accept Borderlands, Alien Isolation was on sale recently, The Crew was also on sale recently (and it's ubisoft), Civ Beyond Earth was half price a few weeks ago if I remember correctly, CoD and Stick of Truth I accept. Obviously there are a few which are expensive but the overwhelming majority aren't.

And I hate Origin, can't stand it. And obviously it's owned by EA so I'm having nothing to do with it anyway, terrible company.

I expect Witcher and definitely GTA to stay high for a long time, I also expect Atilla to take quite some time to fall. Obviously Atilla will fall below the 25 mark quicker since it's only 5 above it not 25 (well, 10 coz "30% off") for witcher.

I would say that for the most part AAAs are launched well above the 25 and a lot of them take a long time to come under that, sales excluded, and definitely a minority that can still be called anything near "new" at that point and bar a very small number of exceptions I wouldn't say there are many that end up on sale below 5 that can still be called "new", perhaps the odd 8 hour flash sale a year after launch.

Undoubtedly, still cheaper than consoles though.
I expect Witcher and definitely GTA to stay high for a long time, I also expect Atilla to take quite some time to fall. Obviously Atilla will fall below the 25 mark quicker since it's only 5 above it not 25 (well, 10 coz "30% off") for witcher.

I would say that for the most part AAAs are launched well above the 25 and a lot of them take a long time to come under that, sales excluded, and definitely a minority that can still be called anything near "new" at that point and bar a very small number of exceptions I wouldn't say there are many that end up on sale below 5 that can still be called "new", perhaps the odd 8 hour flash sale a year after launch.

Undoubtedly, still cheaper than consoles though.

Witcher and GTA probably will stay high for a long time, I don't know anything about Atilla. But then again, these are all exceptions to the rules and most of the gems on Steam aren't AAAs anyway.
Witcher and GTA probably will stay high for a long time, I don't know anything about Atilla. But then again, these are all exceptions to the rules and most of the gems on Steam aren't AAAs anyway.

And most of the gems aren't available on console, or at least not as good. Or have severely nerfed performance.
And most of the gems aren't available on console, or at least not as good. Or have severely nerfed performance.

Definitely this, recently, unfortunately.
Definitely this, recently, unfortunately.

And coming back full circle, hence all the "oh, frame rate doesn't matter" and "resolution is only a number" crap.
You can't even say it's only recently. Maybe last gen consoles were more competitive on the power front vs decent PCs of the day compared to this gen, but they will have still quickly fallen further behind.
Three way tie for me between hyper-feminists, vegans, and oxbridge folk. I had the absolute pleasure of meeting one once.
Original post by Grantland
Three way tie for me between hyper-feminists, vegans, and oxbridge folk. I had the absolute pleasure of meeting one once.

As in somebody who's all three :redface:
Did you remember to kill it with fire?
As in somebody who's all three :redface:
Did you remember to kill it with fire?

Are you kidding? They're endangered, and I'm pretty sure Cambridge could've spun it to look like a hate crime too.
Original post by Grantland
Are you kidding? They're endangered, and I'm pretty sure Cambridge could've spun it to look like a hate crime too.

I don't care if they're endangered, they're like an absolute parasite for which there is no benefit to anyone or anything beyond themselves.
The PS4 might play video fine at 1080p, you're not going to reach 60fps at 1080p in any high graphic games on the PS4 though. And anyway, the point is that lots of console games have capped framerates and by design, they have worse graphics than the PC versions because of console hardware limitations. You can't seriously tell me that a smartphone or console replaces a PC for multimedia facilities. The PC is undoubtedly the best platform for internet browsing (of course you can do it on a phone or console but the input is clunkier and everything works on the PC whereas lots of stuff is incompatible with mobile devices). And once again, work. If you've got a gaming PC, you've got everything you will ever need. If you get a console, you'll need to get a laptop or cheap desktop for work. With a gaming PC, not only do you have it all in one but it's much more convenient and your work gets much easier because everything just works faster. Assuming you'd spend £300 on a laptop otherwise, you're instantly making hundreds of pounds worth of savings with a gaming PC. And you can't seriously tell me that a gaming controller is better than the keyboard and mouse... you perform better in virtually all games with the keyboard and mouse. The mouse is so much more precise than a controller (you're not going to get 1000dpi-tier performance with a controller!) and once again, the keyboard actually allows you to type which means that productivity is physically possible. Being able to replace parts is absolutely something to boast about, it means your hardware will cost much less in the long term.

None of those games are free, because you're paying for PS Online. It's not free if you pay, that's not what free means. You could get all of them for much less during a Steam sale anyway. And once again, titles cost much less on the PC in general. On Steam, your average title is £10-15 and even brand new AAAs are rarely more than £25. And I don't understand how you can claim PC exclusives aren't anything to brag about... have you even looked at Steam? Many of the top rated games of all time are PC exclusives. There may be an increasing number of indie titles on consoles but it doesn't change the fact that PCs have by far the most indie titles because it's the easiest platform to publish on. And once again, I mention modding which is one of the biggest plusses of a lot of modern games. Skyrim for instance is infinitely more fun on the PC than on a console.

The whole PC Master Race thing on reddit isn't about boasting about who has the most expensive kit. People like showcasing their hardware because it's a hobby and powerful hardware is exciting (you can't tell me your heart-rate doesn't slightly increase when you see a four-way GTX980 SLI?!) but the basic principle is that PCs are better in virtually every way, including value for money. You can look at the subreddit yourself, they have lots of links for budget builds.

And anyway, I find it really ironic how people with 'expensive' gaming PCs are slated for wasting money, when it's perfectly acceptable for people to spend £1500 upwards on a mac. Regardless of how much your PC costs, if you choose the components well, you're going to get good bang for your buck. Same definitely cannot be said for the extortionate macs people are perfectly happy shelling thousands out for.

The majority of my games are PS exclusives. That alone makes it ridiculous for any PC-user to bang on about their PC to me. And no matter how brilliant you think your hardware is that's no reason to be 'snobbish'. Just plain rude. The PS Online thing is just being pedantic - you pay for the MP, the games are free/optional - and they're good games to.

I wasn't talking about reddit.

Feel free to say Mac-users are snobbier, that doesn't make the 'master-race' less snobby.

They're definitely more annoying than any gym goer or vegetarian I've ever met. I'm sure one of them could easily argue how they're lifestyle is better. You see, a hobby is like a dick...
Original post by RayApparently
The majority of my games are PS exclusives. That alone makes it ridiculous for any PC-user to bang on about their PC to me. And no matter how brilliant you think your hardware is that's no reason to be 'snobbish'. Just plain rude. The PS Online thing is just being pedantic - you pay for the MP, the games are free/optional - and they're good games to.

I wasn't talking about reddit.

Feel free to say Mac-users are snobbier, that doesn't make the 'master-race' less snobby.

They're definitely more annoying than any gym goer or vegetarian I've ever met. I'm sure one of them could easily argue how they're lifestyle is better. You see, a hobby is like a dick...

Well in fairness, you've probably not even seriously looked at the exclusives available for PC. And it's not pedantic at all! What's free about a game you have to pay a subscription for?! That's just as mad as claiming WoW is free because you get free gameplay for the subscription... it makes no sense. For that fee, you could get so much better value for money in Steam. With a much better gameplay experience.
What's with all the hate on vegetarians? We're not that bad
Each category has some who will be snobby and some who won't be

But they aren't mutually exclusive, imagine a Gym-going, vegan health nut feminist who loves working out to rock music.. :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest