The Student Room Group

Has anyone 'grown out of' travel sickness?

I get travel sickness unless I am driving, even sometimes in cars when I am a passegner I start to feel abit uneasy. Anything at sea and I am like so ill, last year I swam with sharks in hawaii and I threw up twice before I even got in the water and also threw up twice in the water I was so ill I felt like I was dying.

Anyway, I am 22 and have suffered with travel sickness all my life but I feel like its getting worse as I get older not better.

I want to work on a cruise ship but I am scared I would get sea sickness but people tell me you cant tell its moving. Can anyone share their views on cruise ships as I have never been on one. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

You do.

had the worst ever travel sickness on any moving object especially private buses and taxis, when I was younger.

but now, I can go on any and I won't feel anything.

I'm nearly 18 and I've stopped like at 15.
So just hang on and your brain will get use to the motion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You only feel sick, if you look out of the vehicle.

my best advice is sleep on long journeys and make yourself busy on shorter ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to feel sick on long car journeys when I was little but that stopped years ago and I'm fine now. If you are a passenger try not to be looking down a lot- that can sometimes make me feel a bit sick now
Original post by missfats
You only feel sick, if you look out of the vehicle.

I don't find that at all. If I try to read a book/map/play DS I feel incredibly sick but if I look out the window it's not so bad.

OP I'm in my mid-20s and haven't "grown out" of travel sickness. Like you I'm particularly bad on boats. However, I have been on a cruise ship and was fine but it's a lot of money if you find that you're not fine on them.
I have yet to grow out of mine, hopefully that won't take too long. I've noticed it got worse because now I can feel sick even whilst standing in a moving bus which has not been possible before :erm: I'm only safe on trains but it's a limited type of transport :mmm:
(edited 9 years ago)
Mine has seemed to get worse each year :erm:
Original post by ForgetMe
I have yet to grow out of mine, hopefully that won't take too long. I've noticed it got worse because now I can feel sick even whilst standing in a moving bus which has not been possible before :erm: I'm only safe on trains but it's a limited type of transport :mmm:

How are you on airplanes? I used to be safe on trains and airplanes but the latter seems to be getting worse every year. :frown:
I'm generally a lot better than I was when I was a kid. I still need to take travel sickness pills if I travel anything over half an hour, mostly to be safe. I was still getting sick on coaches etc in my late teens, but I don't travel enough to really know how much I've improved. I'm definitely much better than I was, though!
I used to be great as a kid, never ever got travel sick, but then gradually as I got older became more and more sensitive to modes of transport. First buses, then the new high speed trains, then cars. I go feel travel sick quite a bit now, but not to the point of actually vomiting. I've learned what makes it worse and what doesn't (like for example focusing on something in front of me makes it worse, looking out the window helps).

A lot of people I know who were travel sick as children grew out of it but some still have episodes every now and then.
I had the same problem when I was a little kid, now that I'm 16 I've grown out of it.
Original post by Sabertooth
OP I'm in my mid-20s and haven't "grown out" of travel sickness. Like you I'm particularly bad on boats. However, I have been on a cruise ship and was fine but it's a lot of money if you find that you're not fine on them.

I dont know what to do now then... I would be devastated if I was ill on a cruise. I get bad in minibuses, coaches, back of cars, planes if there is turbulence, sometimes landing. But most of the time, travel sickness tablets from the chemist do the trick. However, they did not work what so ever, when I went on a small boat.
Also, its weird because mainly younger people and females are the most likely to be affected. I am 22 and male, which is considered rare. Whenever, ive been on school trips, college trips, uni trips, holidays etc I am like the only one to suffer travel sickness, and if other does, not to the extent at which I get it
Original post by Sabertooth
How are you on airplanes? I used to be safe on trains and airplanes but the latter seems to be getting worse every year. :frown:

With travel sickness pills good but I have to sit and don't even tilt my head. Last time I've tilted my head and at that time plane was changing positions, got so dizzy and sick.

I'm going to have a flight in a month and a return after just one day, so that's going to be painful :colondollar:

Do you use any remedies such as pills? Boots had amazing tablets for travel sickness but discontinued them :erm:

I am missing out so much because of this :sad: I'd love to go to Thorpe Park for fun rides but I'd end up like in Home and Alone part with ride :laugh:
(edited 9 years ago)
My mum has bad travel sickness and worked on cruise ships for years. She would get injections from the on board doctor to prevent it. Think she had to have them every few months.

Though this is over 20 years ago now so the medicine might not even be licensed for that anymore.
I have suffered from travel sickness all my life, and it's not showing any signs of leaving- infact I think it's gotten worse.

I'm okish on planes- it is boats and long coach journeys that do me- especially if I'm not at the front and can't see out of the window ahead. I also get it in cars unless if I sit up straight and look ahead.

I have heard though, that after a few days on a ship you develop 'sea legs'- ie. you get used to it. Personally though, I avoid boats altogether and will avoid going on one again at all costs.
I get sick on everything but trams. I don't think I'll ever "grow out" of it.

I'm in my mid 20s btw.

However, not reading whilst you're travelling and focussing on fixed objects are supposed to improve symptoms.
I grew into travel sickness. I didn't get it whatsoever until I went on a boat in Iceland when I was 20 and the weather was choppy and now I get it on any kind of transport, even cars.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
i used to be sick in the car all the time and in coaches too
but after wearing those travel bands in the car i got bwtter and dont need them anymore so yeah i have grown out of it!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I used to get it when I was a kid and in my teens and it happened once when I was in my early 20s (although possibly been partly due to being hungover); but I don't get it anymore and I take 2-3 hour train journeys regularly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest