The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Balotelli would be best suited at a club like Aston Villa - play on the counter so he'll get more of the ball with his back to goal. He can then hold up the ball and play to bring in the midfield.

He'd have more space to turn and run sometimes too since playing on the counter more. He's not got a great first touch/pass. And to top it off, people would appreciate his potshots since he'd score 1 in 10 shots or so. At Liverpool he just gets moaned at for wasting the other 9 in 10.
Original post by Mackay
Not even sure if that's a feasible chance any more. Best cutting our losses and shifting him out to somewhere like Galatasaray, where they'll indulge him.

Well we have him for the season so may as well experiment for a few more months. Play him with Sturridge in the Europa League/FA Cup.
A lot to say about last night. But I think the most important thing is you have to question is 'how good are this Chelsea team?'.

For starters, their goalkeeper. 6'6 behemoth. Colossus. PL has never seen a keeper like him. He's the complete package and an all time great in the making. Move onto their defence, which is currently the second best for goals conceded in our league, and has been notoriously tight for ten years, marshalled by one of the greatest captains of his era. In midfield, Matic is possibly the most complete player in world football today. Next to him, Cesc Fabregas, world renowned playmaker, on course to not only break, but shatter, Thierry Henry's assists record. Willian and Oscar provide extreme work rate, link up play and flair from the spine of the Brazilian national team. In Diego Costa, the dirtiest **** in football and the best striker in the world over the last 18 months, scoring just shy of a goal a game. And in Eden Hazard, a player whose speed and technical ability give him a sheer fear factor over here probably not seen since Cristiano Ronaldo. But not only are they a team of superstars and winners, they're a unit. Defensively solid and breathtaking going forwards. 5 points clear at the top of the league, and having scored 5 away to Schalke, the 8th best team in Europe by UEFA's coefficients, to seal unbeaten progress to the CL knockout stages. Having scored 2 or more at home for 16 games on the trot. Led by one of the greatest managers of all time.

Because it's mid-season it's hard to know what legacy this Chelsea team will have, but there's no doubt that they're one of the top three or four teams in the world and are damn, damn good.

But teams will only play as well as you allow them to. For 210 minutes we stifled one of the best teams in the world and created far more than them overall (36 shots to 22, more possession over the two legs). That's not to say we neutralised them completely - Chelsea had their moments and we relied on luck at times. But much of the luck was self made. The 3 CBs, the two wing backs and Lucas provided an extra man compared to the normal 4 defenders + DM, so it's no surprise that we often had a man steaming in to make the last ditch challenge; that's the whole point of playing an extra defender. Going forwards we created enough chances - we weren't perennially one pass away, like could be claimed of Chelsea, we were always just the finish away. If this was a boxing scorecard we'd have won by unanimous decision based on the rounds.

Minus Gerrard who's leaving, our average age was 23. Chelsea played a full strength team, but we were blunted, as we have been all season. Sturridge has scored at a better rate so far than Fowler, Rush, Owen, Torres, Suarez, Dalglish, the whole lot of them. And he's tailor made for this system. And for this team, who create bucket loads of chances but don't have the striker to finish them off. Youthful inexperience cost us a goal in the first leg, but yesterday it was just complacency. Remove the likes of Balotelli and Johnson and replace them with younger, hungrier players who'll play for the team.

Give us a striker and this is a trophy-winning backbone in the future. The truth is that for a team 'reeling' from losing the best striker in Europe and then from the one player we were most reliant on, we were pretty brilliant over the two legs. The team is young and will only get better. 2-3 years down the line Sterling is scoring those half chances, Coutinho is putting his chance away, Henderson is putting his header away, and Sturridge will be in the team ripping **** up. Moreno's decision making is improved and Can doesn't make the tackle on Hazard in the first leg. Nearly everything that went wrong was just down to inexperience, and after 210 minutes where we gave everything and still lost (undeservedly), they'll learn and grow. A poor half season doesn't really take apart what Rodgers started last year, which was to give young players like Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, and Henderson both the opportunity and the confidence to play brilliant attacking football. In Can, Moreno, Lallana and Markovic he's got four players who are perfectly suited to his style of play and have the mental, physical and technical ability to thrive here. And so far, the 3 centre back system is perfect for giving Can a run in the team, allowing Skrtel to indulge in his need to drop off, allowing Sakho the cover he needs to step out and attack the ball, and for giving Mignolet more protection with crosses. All four look confident, professional and dependable; over the 210 minutes Chelsea (averaging 2.5 goals a game in the league) didn't have a clear cut chance from open play.

We lost, but we showed what we could win.
Original post by KFC Buffet
X

Good post +1

We don't hear now from LFC what length of contract the players have signed. I really do hope we're signing these youngsters to 5-8 year deals rather than 3-4 years which is more typical. The worst thing we can do is let them run contracts down to 2 years and then be forced into selling them for a high value when really we want to retain for the future.

I'm really excited about Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic and possibly Ibe in an attacking sense in the next few years. Not sure if Lallana will cut the mustard for me but willing to see what he can offer.

Unfortunately we need a good transfer window in the summer (like we say every year) if we want to push on and really progress.

We're still potentially got a lot of games this season still to play but the next 5 league games are going to be huge - West Ham (H), Everton (A), Tottenham (H), Southampton (A) and Man City (H).
Good post.

But I'd say Chelsea's team is not top 4 in the world yet. Still think Atlético are stronger all factors considered at this moment in time as well as Barca. Just that La Liga is more competitive. We just have very good functionality, which only Atlético have better. But they also have very good creative threats from the wings/AM positions in Arda Turan and Koke and Griezmann, while Chelsea only have Hazard and at times Oscar.

Definitely scope for improvement from you guys, better finishing, better adaptation to tactics etc. I'm too used to world class teams ****ting their pants against Chelsea when it comes to these games. No idea how we get away with some of our performances/chances we let. Courtois/Cech probably is the reason atm.

I also feel that until half time of the second leg Chelsea were pretty poor and playing nowhere near their capacity and Rodgers pretty much lost the game the second he played Henderson at RWB and played Gerrard deep with Lucas. I think Rodgers is lacking in pragmatism, also Mou's possibly the best adaptive manager in world football, he hasn't been showing that this season but yesterday was an example of how good a tactician he is.
Original post by Zerforax
Good post +1

We don't hear now from LFC what length of contract the players have signed. I really do hope we're signing these youngsters to 5-8 year deals rather than 3-4 years which is more typical. The worst thing we can do is let them run contracts down to 2 years and then be forced into selling them for a high value when really we want to retain for the future.

I'm really excited about Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic and possibly Ibe in an attacking sense in the next few years. Not sure if Lallana will cut the mustard for me but willing to see what he can offer.

Unfortunately we need a good transfer window in the summer (like we say every year) if we want to push on and really progress.

We're still potentially got a lot of games this season still to play but the next 5 league games are going to be huge - West Ham (H), Everton (A), Tottenham (H), Southampton (A) and Man City (H).

We've got much, much better prospects than Ibe. It'll take a lot for Ibe to change his ways, he needs a lot of technical coaching as well as mental maturation. In our U18s/reserves right now, there's a fivesome of Kent, Wilson, Canos, Sinclair and Ojo, all who are considered pretty top level attacking prospects (with Ojo/Wilson on an even higher level). All of them better than Ibe at the same age and I'd probably guess that Ojo is better than Ibe even now, at 17.

I don't think we need loads out of the transfer window. A goalkeeper better than Mignolet would be nice, although he's got the opportunity to get some form back and was stellar last night. Borini and one of Lambert/Balo out, Origi and a striker in. Lacazette/Bony aren't possible anymore but there's never a shortage of 1 in 2/1 in 2.5 strikers which is what we need as back up to Sturridge.
Original post by jam277
Good post.

But I'd say Chelsea's team is not top 4 in the world yet. Still think Atlético are stronger all factors considered at this moment in time as well as Barca. Just that La Liga is more competitive. We just have very good functionality, which only Atlético have better. But they also have very good creative threats from the wings/AM positions in Arda Turan and Koke and Griezmann, while Chelsea only have Hazard and at times Oscar.

Definitely scope for improvement from you guys, better finishing, better adaptation to tactics etc. I'm too used to world class teams ****ting their pants against Chelsea when it comes to these games. No idea how we get away with some of our performances/chances we let. Courtois/Cech probably is the reason atm.

I also feel that until half time of the second leg Chelsea were pretty poor and playing nowhere near their capacity and Rodgers pretty much lost the game the second he played Henderson at RWB and played Gerrard deep with Lucas. I think Rodgers is lacking in pragmatism, also Mou's possibly the best adaptive manager in world football, he hasn't been showing that this season but yesterday was an example of how good a tactician he is.

Bayern
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Atletico Madrid/Chelsea/Man City

Probably joint 4th best with those 2 others?

Gerrard has been a continuous issue for Rodgers imo. Last season he was able to utilise him in the perfect way as a DLP to feed Sturridge and Suarez but since then he's not fitted the rest of the team. A ruthless coach like Rafa or Mourinho would've dropped/sold him imo. In a way it's good that he's leaving in the summer since it means Rodgers has a blank slate with no player bigger than him. No excuses from next year if he has passengers in the side.

For starters, their goalkeeper. 6'6 behemoth. Colossus. PL has never seen a keeper like him. He's the complete package and an all time great in the making.

I think we'll still be talking about Courtois in a decade's time. That's the difference between him and Hart.

Courtois and De Gea WILL win trophies for both of their clubs - in the same way Seaman and Schmeichel did.

I doubt Hart will ever win City the PL.
Between now and March 1 we face West Ham, Everton, Spurs, Southampton and Manchester City.
Original post by Mackay
Between now and March 1 we face West Ham, Everton, Spurs, Southampton and Manchester City.

15 points in the bag :colondollar:
Courtois is possibly Cech when he first came. Cech did show his quality again as a WC keeper circa 2012-14 but he was ridiculous when he first came.

Bayern
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Atletico Madrid/Chelsea/Man City

Probably joint 4th best with those 2 others?

Gerrard has been a continuous issue for Rodgers imo. Last season he was able to utilise him in the perfect way as a DLP to feed Sturridge and Suarez but since then he's not fitted the rest of the team. A ruthless coach like Rafa or Mourinho would've dropped/sold him imo. In a way it's good that he's leaving in the summer since it means Rodgers has a blank slate with no player bigger than him. No excuses from next year if he has passengers in the side.

Yeah something like this. I think a midfielder needs to be bought, but Can has shown that he has the qualities of a midfielder, his bursts of pace(I don't think he's that slow as people make him out to look like) with a guy like henderson next to him can do damage, his time at CB can also help him refine the defensive side of his game, he works in a back 3 as well.

Yeah Lamps got dropped by Rafa and Mourinho e.g. as they knew he couldn't handle the intensity of their style of play.

We're probably joint 4th best yeah. Nothing between us and City and Atlético all factors considered. Shame City have Barça because I'd love to see them or Bayern against Atlético. Want to see Barça knocked out early like last season. Nothing personal but it gets boring seeing the same old teams. Real are going to be in the semi final unless they get Atlético in the quarters so no point hoping for them to be knocked out, that's a 1/7 chance of them getting knocked out.

While I'm at it, Pellegrini's job depends on what happens vs Barça and I don't want to see him sacked.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Courtois is possibly Cech when he first came. Cech did show his quality again as a WC keeper circa 2012-14 but he was ridiculous when he first came.

Yeah something like this. I think a midfielder needs to be bought, but Can has shown that he has the qualities of a midfielder, his bursts of pace(I don't think he's that slow as people make him out to look like) with a guy like henderson next to him can do damage, his time at CB can also help him refine the defensive side of his game, he works in a back 3 as well.

Yeah Lamps got dropped by Rafa and Mourinho e.g. as they knew he couldn't handle the intensity of their style of play.

We're probably joint 4th best yeah. Nothing between us and City and Atlético all factors considered. Shame City have Barça because I'd love to see them or Bayern against Atlético. Want to see Barça knocked out early like last season. Nothing personal but it gets boring seeing the same old teams. Real are going to be in the semi final unless they get Atlético in the quarters so no point hoping for them to be knocked out, that's a 1/7 chance of them getting knocked out.

While I'm at it, Pellegrini's job depends on what happens vs Barça and I don't want to see him sacked.

Can is slow over the first 2-3 yards but once he gets going, he's got good speed and strength. I imagine he'll get rotated more with Lucas next season?

Don't think any of our recent managers had the balls to do that with Gerrard.
Can is slow over the first 2-3 yards but once he gets going, he's got good speed and strength. I imagine he'll get rotated more with Lucas next season?

Don't think any of our recent managers had the balls to do that with Gerrard.

Yeah I think it's more a case of him having a very good drive with the ball(like Toure and to an extent Matic)

It's probably good that Gerrard is going. He's not good enough any more. When Sturridge comes back he should either play in Lucas' role vs weaker teams or be dropped/EL cup starter.
Original post by jam277
Yeah I think it's more a case of him having a very good drive with the ball(like Toure and to an extent Matic)

It's probably good that Gerrard is going. He's not good enough any more. When Sturridge comes back he should either play in Lucas' role vs weaker teams or be dropped/EL cup starter.

Makes it hard to drop or move Lucas when he's been playing so well. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Gerrard next to Lucas and Henderson at RWB just because Rodgers is trying to shoehorn in too many players.

Sturridge
Coutinho Sterling
Moreno Lucas Henderson Markovic
Sakho Skrtel Can
Mignolet

Is our best 3-4-4 formation. Happy for Johnson to come in for Markovic or Lallana/Markovic replacing either Coutinho or Sterling.

Gerrard should just be an option off the bench as cover for a midfield position or attacking position.

That or we change back to the 4-4-2 (diamond) formation

Sturridge Sterling
Coutinho
Lucas Henderson
Gerrard
Moreno Sakho Skrtel Johnson
Mignolet

I think Sterling is a better striker than Balotelli or Lambert (even if he's actually an attacking player). Can could come into the midfield too.
We've all been quick to give flak to Mignolet for how poor he's been but I think he needs to be given some credit for last night.

The two stand out moments were the save by his legs for the Costa deflected shot and the tackle on Costa on the 6 yard box line when the ball broke loose. Nothing he could do for the goal but he sounded commanding, was generally comfortable on the ball and didn't spread any nerves through our team or backline.

One of his best performances last night.
Original post by jam277

I think Chelsea of today would comfortably beat Atletico. Bayern are on another level to the other teams in world football but Chelsea are probably competitive with Madrid and Barca, above Atleti. I disagree with the poster above who put City on the same plane.

Chelsea were poor but only because Liverpool made them poor. Gerrard had to stay on the pitch for his set piece ability/potential penalty taking/general big game performances. Proved his worth against Basel. Henderson was actually pretty brilliant at RWB. Rodgers is pretty pragmatic, I don't think he did anything wrong over the two legs. His tactics were spot on and his team comfortably outplayed Chelsea over the two legs. Taking Markovic off was necessary to get a proper striker on. To be fair to Balo, he showed some great touches and tried a bit harder than usual. Rodgers was excellent.

That or we change back to the 4-4-2 (diamond) formation

Sturridge Sterling
Coutinho
Lucas Henderson
Gerrard
Moreno Sakho Skrtel Johnson
Mignolet

I think Sterling is a better striker than Balotelli or Lambert (even if he's actually an attacking player). Can could come into the midfield too.

I agree with your 3-4-3, although the mention of Johnson irks me.

This formation, however, is just purely hurtful. Sakho and Skrtel are an abysmal defensive duo, Johnson is an awful fullback, Sterling is nowhere near good enough to provide the goals in that outfit and Lucas/Gerrard in the same midfield, Lucas playing box to box, and Gerrard as a DLP are all individual things wrong with that. There's no goals or defensive stability in it at all.

The only reason why Skrtel has been made to look a passable defender (and excelled) and Sakho has excelled is because of the 3ATB formation which has seen us go from a laughing stock of a defence to what has the potential to be one of the best defences in the land. Why on earth would you change that? The only reason the diamond excellent last year was because our strikers were so damn good that they didn't need any width at all - Moreno provides an outlet but no penetration at all really, and Johnson offers nothing at all. Sterling is nowhere near the striker Suarez is either. On top of that, Gerrard and Lucas in such close proximity leaves us with exactly the same problem we had before, the problem we had from January to December 2013 - immobility and poor shielding of the defence.

4ATB does not work for our team because Rodgers has failed to get any kind of cohesion across the back line. 3/5ATB means that we always have an extra man in place, even with any kind of mishap, and that obtaining cohesion across the defence doesn't require changing the natural instincts of Skrtel (to drop off) and Sakho (to attack).

Don't change a winning formula
I think Chelsea of today would comfortably beat Atletico. Bayern are on another level to the other teams in world football but Chelsea are probably competitive with Madrid and Barca, above Atleti. I disagree with the poster above who put City on the same plane.

Chelsea were poor but only because Liverpool made them poor. Gerrard had to stay on the pitch for his set piece ability/potential penalty taking/general big game performances. Proved his worth against Basel. Henderson was actually pretty brilliant at RWB. Rodgers is pretty pragmatic, I don't think he did anything wrong over the two legs. His tactics were spot on and his team comfortably outplayed Chelsea over the two legs. Taking Markovic off was necessary to get a proper striker on. To be fair to Balo, he showed some great touches and tried a bit harder than usual. Rodgers was excellent.

Bayern I don't think are as good as people make them out to be. Think they've lost a bit of pragmatism since Guardiola, even if their actual squad player wise are better. They have improved this season.

Gerrard has a pretty terrible record against Chelsea, he's supposedly only scored one goal against us. That record should have been kept in mind, a set piece threat against Chelsea is the worst possible avenue to score anyway, unless you're Atlético or Real who are pretty exceptional at indirect set pieces. Firstly you've got a 6ft 6 keeper who claims everything that gets anywhere near his area and you have Terry, Cahill, Zouma, Ivanovic who are pretty good in the air. Keeping one guy on for the hope he can deliver a good ball is a pretty ineffective avenue against Chelsea when the rest of his general play isn't effective enough.

Gerrard should have been taken off, he shouldn't have played deep near the end and it was clear that Ramires was overrunning your midfield on the counter attack. A better idea would have been to take off Gerrard and use Lallana like he did in the first leg. Although tbh Chelsea had the stronger team, so we can talk about tactics but quality will shine through in these situations.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)

Chelsea were a bit better than Liverpool in this 2nd leg. The game was so end to end that neither team really imposed themselves.

Gerrard wasn't even taking all of the set peices - Coutinho and Henderson took quite a few too. We're not going to be winning any penalties if we're not in the Chelsea box. Gerrard has a poor record against Chelsea. Think he's only scored one goal against them. He seemed pretty riled by the Chelsea chants and taunts. Then felt the need to try and win the match to prove them wrong instead of keeping his cool and going for the right option.

Could've turned out moronic for Henderson to be RWB if he got sent off against Hazard. Also once Gerrard moved next to Lucas, you could see Chelsea control more of the midfield.

Balotelli was terrible. Should've been Lambert to come on but Rodgers obviously wanted Balotelli to "get one up" on Mourinho for his comments in the past. He's been a flop and doesnt suit this current Liverpool team - sell him for whatever we can in the summer.
I agree with your 3-4-3, although the mention of Johnson irks me.

This formation, however, is just purely hurtful. Sakho and Skrtel are an abysmal defensive duo, Johnson is an awful fullback, Sterling is nowhere near good enough to provide the goals in that outfit and Lucas/Gerrard in the same midfield, Lucas playing box to box, and Gerrard as a DLP are all individual things wrong with that. There's no goals or defensive stability in it at all.

The only reason why Skrtel has been made to look a passable defender (and excelled) and Sakho has excelled is because of the 3ATB formation which has seen us go from a laughing stock of a defence to what has the potential to be one of the best defences in the land. Why on earth would you change that? The only reason the diamond excellent last year was because our strikers were so damn good that they didn't need any width at all - Moreno provides an outlet but no penetration at all really, and Johnson offers nothing at all. Sterling is nowhere near the striker Suarez is either. On top of that, Gerrard and Lucas in such close proximity leaves us with exactly the same problem we had before, the problem we had from January to December 2013 - immobility and poor shielding of the defence.

4ATB does not work for our team because Rodgers has failed to get any kind of cohesion across the back line. 3/5ATB means that we always have an extra man in place, even with any kind of mishap, and that obtaining cohesion across the defence doesn't require changing the natural instincts of Skrtel (to drop off) and Sakho (to attack).

Don't change a winning formula

Johnson would probably be the best RWB in our squad. He's more of a RWB than a RB tbh.

I only suggested that formation if Rodgers feels the need to keep Gerrard in the first XI. Personally I think his position is on the bench. Sturridge is going to be back soon and Sterling has done pretty well as a striker so it's a suggestion that might work.

Well we'd have 3 in that midfield although I don't think we'd get enough width/protection from it.

Not changing only leads to standing still and then opposition teams working out how to beat you. We're not the best team in the country or the world so we're not in a possession to say "this is our team and we'll play anyone off the park". Sometimes we need to adapt or adjust to keep the opposition guessing or to hide our weaknesses.

Personally I'd play the 3-4-2-1 or go to a 4-2-3-1

Sturridge
Coutinho Lallana Sterling
Lucas Henderson
Moreno Skrtel Sakho Johnson
Mignolet

Can bring Markovic in for any of those 3 attacking players and switch them around (Coutinho or Sterling can play in the middle). You can bring Can in for Lucas or Henderson and then you can have any of Johnson, Flanagan or Manquillo at RB.

But our strength at the moment are those attacking flair players so imo we should be getting 3 of them on the pitch.

Quick Reply

Latest