The Student Room Group

Ireland Medical Applicants 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yep International + got it via email
Reply 41
Original post by bluevalkyrie88
Hello, does anyone know when Ireland starts sending out interviews or offers?
Thanks in advance :smile:

I think offers are in March. But i have a interview with Trinity College on the coming Friday. Oh yeah, international student as well.
Thanks guys.
This is probably a dumb question, but are interviews compulsory or do they only give them out to prospective students?
Reply 43
Original post by bluevalkyrie88
Thanks guys.
This is probably a dumb question, but are interviews compulsory or do they only give them out to prospective students?

On the RCSI website they said that Interviews are compulsory whereas on the TCD website they said that they didn't interview any students. Not too sure about it tbh.
Original post by shyaamb
On the RCSI website they said that Interviews are compulsory whereas on the TCD website they said that they didn't interview any students. Not too sure about it tbh.

oh! I thought you said on your last post you got an interview from trinity?
Reply 45
I did. But on their website it says that. I think that was only for home and eu students (the no interview).
Reply 46
I can't find any of this information on their website but how many international students do trinity college dublin give offers to? And how many do they interview?
Reply 47
Original post by ishysmile
I can't find any of this information on their website but how many international students do trinity college dublin give offers to? And how many do they interview?

Its a weird system for Ireland, from what i have realized. Students can apply through a number of ways. If you applied through the Atlantic Bridge Program or IUMC, you are given a chance for more places, while if you applied using their online application, they told me that they only offer 1 or 2 international applicants a place at their university. Its pretty intense for TCD, don't they have like 93 places or something for the med school.
Thanks for the info. When did you get the invitation? :tongue:
Hi I'm applying to RCSI. Is it okay to use the same personal statement I sent to UCAS? RCSI did mention 'Why I would be an asset of RCSI' in their email, should I just add a paragraph in my personal statement to include this or?
Reply 50
Its quite weird for me, for TCD i count as non EU whereas for RSCI i count as an EU applicant (due to different policies). So i've only applied to TCD (through IUMC) because I can't be bothered to fly from Singapore to Ireland to take the HPAT just for one uni
I have sent my application ages ago but i havent received any conformation or anything....or even my ID documents and transcripts...
Reply 52
Hello from Down Under. Guys I have an interview for UCC on the 27th and was just trying to find out what type of interview questions are typically asked? Does anyone know about the interview and can shed some light on it?
Thanks
Reply 53
Hi everyone!

I am a UK graduate, considering applying to some Irish medical schools either this year if I can get everything sorted in time, or next year if not and I don't get any UK offers this year. I have a couple of questions about the process.

From what I understand, CAO want to see original degree transcripts, but they also said they don't return any documents. Do you have to request a new copy of your transcript from your university to send to CAO? I also wanted to ask about the CAO application form itself and how it compares to UCAS. Are academic or workplace references required, and are there any other special requirements, or is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks!
Original post by wl1
Hi everyone!

I am a UK graduate, considering applying to some Irish medical schools either this year if I can get everything sorted in time, or next year if not and I don't get any UK offers this year. I have a couple of questions about the process.

From what I understand, CAO want to see original degree transcripts, but they also said they don't return any documents. Do you have to request a new copy of your transcript from your university to send to CAO? I also wanted to ask about the CAO application form itself and how it compares to UCAS. Are academic or workplace references required, and are there any other special requirements, or is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks!

Hiya. I'm an undergrad and I've applied to both ROI med schools and UK ones this year so I can tell you a bit about the CAO and UCAS systems.

For the CAO I think you still have time to register, provided you do the GAMSAT/other tests they want then I think you'll be fine.
idk whether your doing the hpat or not but if u are then remember you have to register for it via acer ASAP and pick your city preference.

In regards to certificates. DONT post original documents. It must be photocopies of ALL your GCSE/AS/A2/Degree etc... (I.e everything thats been certified)

You also Must go to your university and get your certificate copies verified by a stamp. The good thing is that your university can stamp all your AS/A2/GCSE/equiv certificate copies aswell even if u didn't sit them there.

And then you need to write your CAO number (you get that once u register with cao) on all your certificates.

The cao is a little different than ucas in that you can apply to as many med schools as u want and for undergraduate entry admission is purely academic (I think grads have to do an MMI though)
No you don't need a full reference for cao unlike ucas. :smile:

Good luck!. Feel free to ask me anything else :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by futuremedic19
Hiya. I'm an undergrad and I've applied to both ROI med schools and UK ones this year so I can tell you a bit about the CAO and UCAS systems.

For the CAO I think you still have time to register, provided you do the GAMSAT/other tests they want then I think you'll be fine.
idk whether your doing the hpat or not but if u are then remember you have to register for it via acer ASAP and pick your city preference.

In regards to certificates. DONT post original documents. It must be photocopies of ALL your GCSE/AS/A2/Degree etc... (I.e everything thats been certified)

You also Must go to your university and get your certificate copies verified by a stamp. The good thing is that your university can stamp all your AS/A2/GCSE/equiv certificate copies aswell even if u didn't sit them there.

And then you need to write your CAO number (you get that once u register with cao) on all your certificates.

The cao is a little different than ucas in that you can apply to as many med schools as u want and for undergraduate entry admission is purely academic (I think grads have to do an MMI though)

Thanks for the info. I did GAMSAT UK 2014, but didn't quite meet the cutoffs for any UK med schools which is why I wanted to apply to some Irish ones as well. After a bit of reading on TSR and boards.ie I've decided not to apply this year. I originally thought that I might be able to get a loan for tuitions fees, and only have to pay for living costs, but it seems that only people with Irish banking history will be able to get those loans.

Hi

Do you know if you have to send in GCSEs and A level certificates for graduate entry medicine as well? I thought it was just university transcript and GAMSAT score if you didnt take the irish gamsat.

http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/GraduateEntryMedicine2015.pdf

In this pdf. which is specifically for GEM there is no mention of A levels or GCSEs documents being required.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by FATchristopher
Hi

Do you know if you have to send in GCSEs and A level certificates for graduate entry medicine as well? I thought it was just university transcript and GAMSAT score if you didnt take the irish gamsat.

http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/GraduateEntryMedicine2015.pdf

In this pdf. which is specifically for GEM there is no mention of A levels or GCSEs documents being requited.

Hi I'm not 100% sure about that. I'm an undergrad with achieved A2s and they asked me for my GCSE certificates cause they wanted to see if I met all their minimum requirements. Even though only my A2 certificates were needed for calculation of cao points.

It's best to drop them an email via the contact form on their website. They are very quick to reply and get back to you within a couple of hours. :smile:
Hi I'm not 100% sure about that. I'm an undergrad with achieved A2s and they asked me for my GCSE certificates cause they wanted to see if I met all their minimum requirements. Even though only my A2 certificates were needed for calculation of cao points.

It's best to drop them an email via the contact form on their website. They are very quick to reply and get back to you within a couple of hours. :smile:

Thanks I emailed CAO and they emailed me back pretty quickly. It is not required to send in GCE or GCSE photocopies for GEM as applications are only assessed on degree and GAMSAT score.
Original post by ishysmile
Yep International + got it via email

What are your stats of you don't mind me asking and how long after you sent your application did you receive the interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending