The Student Room Group

Do "All men oppress women"?

I'm studying sociology at university and today in my lecture on gender stratification my lecturer stated " All men oppress women under a system of patriachy".

As a man myself I definately do not discrimante agaisnt or oppress women, of course there are certain challenges that face both men and women due to their sex, however it is as unfair and predjuced to say "All muslims are terrorists" as it is to say "All men oppress women".

Scroll to see replies

Well I can't even walk outside without subjugating at least one person with a vagina. Even my employer, superiors, MP, and the Premier of Ontario. I oppress those concubines as hard as I can, dammit.

On a side note, who's bringing the cigars to the next patriarchy meeting? I would get my wife to do it, but she's not allowed to leave the house.
How does someone go about oppressing someone?
Were you referring to a country in particular ?
Reply 4
Original post by Dandaman1
On a side note, who's bringing the cigars to the next patriarchy meeting? I would get my wife to do it, but she's not allowed to leave the house.
Would someone email me a digital copy of their Glass Ceiling Implementation Manual? I've completely worn out the paper copy I inherited from my father applying its techniques.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Simes
Would someone email me a digital copy of their Glass Ceiling Implementation Manual? I've completely worn out the paper copy I inherited from my father applying its techniques.

I'm afraid I don't know what a Glass Ceiling Implementation Manual is, but I can always loan you my Good Wife Guide? I'm sure it would be a suitable alternative?
Reply 6
Original post by aoxa
I'm afraid I don't know what a Glass Ceiling Implementation Manual is, but I can always loan you my Good Wife Guide?
I'm fine thanks, but like all men I know from birth how to best to keep my wife: hungry, barefoot and pregnant.
Unlucky on having a feminist lecturer.
Reply 8
Original post by Academic Bruv
I'm studying sociology at university and today in my lecture on gender stratification my lecturer stated " All men oppress women under a system of patriachy".

As a man myself I definately do not discrimante agaisnt or oppress women, of course there are certain challenges that face both men and women due to their sex, however it is as unfair and predjuced to say "All muslims are terrorists" as it is to say "All men oppress women".

Are you taught this as fact or or is this supposed to encourage debate in your class. It's shocking if they are teaching you it as fact, i half expect they'll be telling you to feel white guilt.

The simple answer is no. Women have been granted equality under the law and that's as far as we need to go. Instead we are prattling on about making wolf whistling illegal.
What a revolting subject sociology is, and how revolting are the people who teach it.
I have been struggling to hit my oppression quota, does anyone have any tips on how I can increases my oppression?

Ignore your lecturer if they actually believe this ****.
The obvious answer to OP is no, not all men oppress women.

Additionally, the patriarchy is a fantasy and simply and obviously does not exist.
I would comment in more detail, but I have to get home to my wife. She wants me to build a glass ceiling.
Reply 13

You signed up with sociology bruv so what did you expect, expect next to hear that gender is a social construct, men are pigs, whites are evil, the communists were right, people have a right not to work. Why would a man or sensible woman sign up with sociology? You're not going to get a 700 pound a day consulting job with it.

good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ccomp
You signed up with sociology bruv so what did you expect, expect next to hear that gender is a social construct, men are pigs, whites are evil, the communists were right, people have a right not to work. Why would a man or sensible woman sign up with sociology? You're not going to get a 700 pound a day consulting job with it.

good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my main degree is finance, I'm just taking it this semester
Reply 15
Oh my main degree is finance, I'm just taking it this semester

Do be honest if someone will teach my child (or perhaps it's when not if) that all men oppress women, I'd lodge a formal complaint with the college and also write to my MP. I'd demand to know why the college is contradicting its own discrimination policy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's your first problem.
Original post by Rakas21

The simple answer is no. Women have been granted equality under the law and that's as far as we need to go. Instead we are prattling on about making wolf whistling illegal.

This is such a ridiculous argument. Yes it's against the law to pay a woman less for the same job a man has.....but know what else is against the law? Cocaine....you know what people still do? C.o.c.a.i.n.e

Just because there's a law that should be obeyed doesn't mean it is.
Original post by SamKeene
The obvious answer to OP is no, not all men oppress women.

Additionally, the patriarchy is a fantasy and simply and obviously does not exist.

So it's okay for you to cry? Or like girly chick flicks? Or wear pink?

It's not...you'd be deemed effeminate and in turn undesirable. This is because the patriarchy tells you (men) that you must be muscly and masculine for you to be desirable. The patriarchy affects men and women.
All.men except men they like are rapists who owe reparations for the sins of others

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending