The Student Room Group

Keep away from drugs

Scroll to see replies

The ignorance on this thread is overwhelming lol.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Despite your persistent anti-drug tirades that are fuelled by the fire of ignorance, I still have respect for you as a poster. Don't mess that up.

Now:
- "Keep away from drugs". Why? It wasn't "drugs" that caused this girl to die, it was a combination of a bad reaction to MDMA and her fathers irresponsibility. Even the prosecutors say that ('The prosecution case has always been that the actions of Jason Wilkes have played a significant part in her demise.").
It's also worth mentioning that MDMA is one drug that is not only vastly different from many other drugs, just as they are as different from each other as they are to it, but is also taken safely by millions of people over the globe.

- You cannot attempt to censor/ban drugs and expect it not to produce the Streisand effect. People should be educating themselves on how to take drugs safely, and thoroughly researching any drugs they take prior to taking them. Negative effects shouldn't be overlooked in the face on positives, nor should negative effects give an unbalanced and fear-inducing account of what taking any given drug is like.

- "Drug fuelled lifestyle". Roflcopter. I smoke cannabis a couple of times a week, does that mean I also have a "drug fuelled lifestyle"? :rolleyes: Don't be so disparaging.

- For the love of god, I wish people would stop using ONE EXAMPLE to make a blanket statement on drugs, it's infuriating. There are many many many many more positive drug stories than there is negative, FACT. I have no need to dispute that with you, it is a fact. Another fact is that the media, for the most part, only ever pick up on the negative ones and try to create a story out of it. Why? Why not reflect on the positive ones? Surely if we're playing a game of "someone died after x then x is bad" then I can turn around and say "Ahh, but thousands more didn't die after x therefore x is good :awesome: ".

I would await your reply anxiously but you've never responded to me seriously in the past regarding these matters :colonhash:

I'm curious; why, in your own opinion, have drugs been made illegal?

Lets not forget before you answer that the laws we have currently, have been scrutinised by both the House of Commons and the House of Lords AND the general public and the outcome is; the majority do not want drugs to be made legal. Infact, some drugs laws were move up to a higher drug catagory.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Balloon Baboon

Lets not forget before you answer that the laws we have currently, have been scrutinised by both the House of Commons and the House of Lords AND the general public and the outcome is; the majority do not want drugs to be made legal. Infact, some drugs laws were move up to a higher drug catagory.

It's easy really; free labour, especially in the USA. Why do you get a double digit prison sentence for possession?

Drugs are illegal for many reasons (and let's hope it stays that way).

Yeah I mean that Cannabis. Hundreds of good, solid reasons for that to be illegal...
Original post by Zander01
Yeah I mean that Cannabis. Hundreds of good, solid reasons for that to be illegal...

Like what?
Like what?

I was being sarcastic. There isn't any.
I was being sarcastic. There isn't any.

Bahaha!
Bahaha!

Go on then, humor me as to why it should be illegal?
Go on then, humor me as to why it should be illegal?

Normally I would. However, I have an assignment due in tomorrow.
Normally I would. However, I have an assignment due in tomorrow.

Ahh of course you do.

Shame, I would have enjoyed seeing you make a fool of yourself.

"Hurr duur Weed is bad for your lungs, all drugs destroy lives!" blah blah blah.
Another example of why all drugs should be legal.

American sneezes, we catch a cold. In 1912 (I think) the American government came up with the idea that "banning" cannabis would stop Mexicans coming into the country (or some bat**** idea similar to that). Whether that's true or not, cannabis' legality status is there simply because it cannot be taxed (in America, at least).
Opium and cocaine and the like were subject to licensing and stuff way before that in both countries. Upon their banning, death rates dropped, and the act of criminalising substances "proved" to be effective. Unfortunately this also initiated what essentially became a blanket ban on all drugs, with no regard for the differences between them.

And yes, Gordon Brown has already stated in an interview that he instigated the move for cannabis from a Class C to a Class B because of his personal thoughts on the plant. Much politics, many idiot, such wow.

The general public view "drugs" as a blanket term. The majority either don't care about the differences between them, or have been blinded by government misinformation about them. The general public are not to be trusted. They repeat what they know instead of gaining knowledge on what they don't know. Such government, etc. The general public probably only think that there is one type of magic mushroom, that LSD will give you a 9 year trip, and probably aren't even aware of mescaline.

Let's examine this:
http://drugfactsweek.drugabuse.gov/files/teenbrochure_508.pdf

The cannabis part is laughable, as is their question on salvia (I don't know about you, but I feel incredibly connected to everything for a very brief moment in time).
American sneezes, we catch a cold. In 1912 (I think) the American government came up with the idea that "banning" cannabis would stop Mexicans coming into the country (or some bat**** idea similar to that). Whether that's true or not, cannabis' legality status is there simply because it cannot be taxed (in America, at least).
Opium and cocaine and the like were subject to licensing and stuff way before that in both countries. Upon their banning, death rates dropped, and the act of criminalising substances "proved" to be effective. Unfortunately this also initiated what essentially became a blanket ban on all drugs, with no regard for the differences between them.

And yes, Gordon Brown has already stated in an interview that he instigated the move for cannabis from a Class C to a Class B because of his personal thoughts on the plant. Much politics, many idiot, such wow.

The general public view "drugs" as a blanket term. The majority either don't care about the differences between them, or have been blinded by government misinformation about them. The general public are not to be trusted. They repeat what they know instead of gaining knowledge on what they don't know. Such government, etc. The general public probably only think that there is one type of magic mushroom, that LSD will give you a 9 year trip, and probably aren't even aware of mescaline.

Let's examine this:
http://drugfactsweek.drugabuse.gov/files/teenbrochure_508.pdf

The cannabis part is laughable, as is their question on salvia (I don't know about you, but I feel incredibly connected to everything for a very brief moment in time).

You might want to watch the documentary, culture high. That explains why a lot of drugs are illegal in the US. Mostly because of Nixon's war on drugs but before then I believe it had something to do with racism.

Cannabis can be and is being taxed. In CO there have been a lot of figures released about the income it's created.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by alexs2602
You might want to watch the documentary, culture high. That explains why a lot of drugs are illegal in the US. Mostly because of Nixon's war on drugs but before then I believe it had something to do with racism.

Ooh I haven't watched that one yet, cheers for the rec. Yeah my bit about 1912 concerned the racism stuff, but it wouldn't surprise me if the minority targeted fluctuated from decade to decade.

Cannabis can be and is being taxed. In CO there have been a lot of figures released about the income it's created.

Can be and is, but wasn't and therefore "can't" (as far as the regulating bodies were concerned, anyway) way back when, which is one of the main reasons it was made illegal in the first place. Wikipedia says so :wink:

So much tax money would be raised from it if it were legalised again, I don't know why he government are so hesitant to legalise what is essentially (albeit subjectively) a near-harmless plant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ooh I haven't watched that one yet, cheers for the rec. Yeah my bit about 1912 concerned the racism stuff, but it wouldn't surprise me if the minority targeted fluctuated from decade to decade.

Can be and is, but wasn't and therefore "can't" (as far as the regulating bodies were concerned, anyway) way back when, which is one of the main reasons it was made illegal in the first place. Wikipedia says so :wink:

So much tax money would be raised from it if it were legalised again, I don't know why he government are so hesitant to legalise what is essentially (albeit subjectively) a near-harmless plant.

Rewatched it myself today. My mistake, it's about weed rather than other drugs but you can extrapolate from it a bit. I'd say many other drugs follow a similar model. LSD and MDMA are probably big ones.

Watch the documentary. A fair part is dedicated to legislation, I thought.
According to the article the cause of death was an OD of MDMA as far as i can tell.

I mean, 500mg (half a gram) of pure MD is strong as hell and there's no way you would take half a gram one night and have any desire to take half the next day.. well then again thinking about it there people who hit it way too hard. I doubt what they had was pure mind, either way bombing 500mg in one go is never a good idea.

But anyway i digress. So according to the article MDMA was found in her blood at 3.1mg (now i'm not sure how they measured this, mg/l or mg/kg?) assuming mg/kg, the LD50 of MDMA is estimated to be 10-20mg per kg of body weight i believe.

So i wonder what actually killed her. Did she start coming up too hard and the dad kept getting her to drink water and she subsequently died of water intoxication?

Dehydration?

Serotonin Syndrome? (rare, can be caused by MDMA when used with other drugs such as MAOI's)

It really annoys me how hard it is to find the true cause of death in drug related cases. They find x amount of a drug in someone who has died and are so quick to simply put it down to that drug. A coroner once did that with cannabis and tried claiming it had killed a guy.. which would of made it the first case ever.
Original post by the bear
it may be unfashionable and "uncool" but i prefer to say that these horrible deaths are the result of evil.

The result of evil? No. They were the result of pure idiocy. They chose to take the drugs, if they didn't have knowledge about them before hand then it's their own fault.

Would you buy paracetamol from some bloke who cooks it up in their garage?
Original post by Spetznaaz
According to the article the cause of death was an OD of MDMA as far as i can tell.

I mean, 500mg (half a gram) of pure MD is strong as hell and there's no way you would take half a gram one night and have any desire to take half the next day.. well then again thinking about it there people who hit it way too hard. I doubt what they had was pure mind, either way bombing 500mg in one go is never a good idea.

But anyway i digress. So according to the article MDMA was found in her blood at 3.1mg (now i'm not sure how they measured this, mg/l or mg/kg?) assuming mg/kg, the LD50 of MDMA is estimated to be 10-20mg per kg of body weight i believe.

So i wonder what actually killed her. Did she start coming up too hard and the dad kept getting her to drink water and she subsequently died of water intoxication?

Dehydration?

Serotonin Syndrome? (rare, can be caused by MDMA when used with other drugs such as MAOI's)

It really annoys me how hard it is to find the true cause of death in drug related cases. They find x amount of a drug in someone who has died and are so quick to simply put it down to that drug. A coroner once did that with cannabis and tried claiming it had killed a guy.. which would of made it the first case ever.

It said 3.1mg/L, which equates to around 0.2 mg/kg. And I think you're right for the LD50, at least that is what I found on drugs forum :tongue:.

500mg at once though is a lot, I doubt it was 100% pure though. Inevitably will be cut with something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Izzyeviel
Another example of why all drugs should be legal.

including PCP?
Original post by ESPORTIVA
including PCP?

Yes. All drugs.

Imagine a proper regulated drug industry selling drugs. You could regulate them so their products are safer. The supply chain would be a lot less bloody, a lot less crime on the streets, and you wouldn't have to go around jailing people for possessing drugs. We'd be safer, we'd save money, we'd earn money from tax revenue, jobs would be created...win?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending