The Student Room Group

Guys: you love her, what would you do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm going to be the unpopular person. To answer your question, I have no idea. I don't like to hypothesize on deep things like this purely because people are prone to say the "right thing" or whatever in public/on the internet, but the reality is most people do not know how they will react to things until they are actually in the situation. So many people say for example "Oh if I saw (insert injustice here) going on, I'd do this"... and in reality, most people just stand/sit gawking and do nothing.

I just want to add that people who are saying its illogical if you wished to ultimately end the relationship because the woman couldn't have kids aren't being realistic and living in the real world. The fact is that, however harsh, a lot of people, both male and female consider having a child/children a very important part of their overall life to 'feel complete' and having kids/not having kids has broken many relationships in various different forms.

Looking at OP's example, if the guy really loves the woman and is ok with an alternative like adoption etc, that's cool and some men could do that. However, there will be guys for example who are dead set on the idea of raising their own child/children with the mother, whose offspring share both their DNA, look like them etc, and any alternative which deviates from that like adoption won't make them happy and may be too much for them to settle on. I don't think that makes the person bad, its just a bad situation which unfortunately arose.
I'd stay with her. Blood ties mean nothing to me.
Original post by SnooFnoo
Stay with and consider donor eggs? Unless she doesn't have a womb (or womb condition) should could possible still carry a baby to term-and that's what a lot of woman want to experience.And if she used a donor egg yeah the majority of the DNA wouldn't match hers, but the baby would still have maternal mitochondrial DNA and yours and thus the baby would be technically genetically both yours.

I'm a girl but just thought I'd put that out there.

No, you're thinking of cloning. If she got a donor egg the baby would be 50% the fathers and 50% the woman's whose egg was donated. However if the woman in the OP donated HER egg (assuming she has healthy eggs but just cannot carry a baby) to a surrogate then the baby would be 50% the fathers and 50% the woman's who could not carry the child.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a girl so I'd side with her but I suppose I had the guy that's obsessed with his amazing 'seed' and passing on his flawless genes in mind when I made the thread. I think that's a bit of a basic view but I've heard something along those lines from a few guys on here. Bit sad.

There's the sperm bank for that sort of thing, although if he wanted to actually raise children the question still arises if he'd like to do that on his own (?), with a woman he doesn't really love, or with the original one that he totally does.
Original post by SophieSmall
No, you're thinking of cloning. If she got a donor egg the baby would be 50% the fathers and 50% the woman's whose egg was donated. However if the woman in the OP donated HER egg (assuming she has healthy eggs but just cannot carry a baby) to a surrogate then the baby would be 50% the fathers and 50% the woman's who could not carry the child.
aw well she tried x
aw well she tried x

She wasn't entirely wrong as it is possible to have a clone both related to the father whose DNA was put into the egg, and the egg donator whose mitochondrial DNA was present in the organelles, however it isn't a viable option. It's illegal for humans to go down this route (as far as I'm aware) for ethical reasons, and health problems that can arise from cloned individuals.
She wasn't entirely wrong as it is possible to have a clone both related to the father whose DNA was put into the egg, and the egg donator whose mitochondrial DNA was present in the organelles, however it isn't a viable option. It's illegal for humans to go down this route (as far as I'm aware) for ethical reasons, and health problems that can arise from cloned individuals.
cloning, scary stuff.
Original post by Flying Cookie
There's the sperm bank for that sort of thing, although if he wanted to actually raise children the question still arises if he'd like to do that on his own (?), with a woman he doesn't really love, or with the original one that he totally does.
To be honest I'd doubt if someone loved someone if they could causally go 'what you can't have children? Going to give it a miss then, see ya'.
Three words have always worked for me:
"I want you"
If said at the opportune moment you're in there son.
Stay with her because you love her, make sure she knows too.
also, see my thread about overpopulation and see if that doesn't change your mind about the kids :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by James Milibanter
"I want you"
also, see my thread about overpopulation and see if that doesn't change your mind about the kids :P
Sure you're answering the right thread?
Sure you're answering the right thread?

yes.
"I want you"
Ah okay edited. I'm a girl for the record it was a hypothetical scenario. But 'I want you' is hot good line, mean it though 'son'
Ah okay edited. I'm a girl for the record it was a hypothetical scenario. But 'I want you' is hot good line, mean it though 'son'

the beauty of it is that it only really works if you mean it.
the beauty of it is that it only really works if you mean it.
Very true.

Melt me why don't ya.
Very true.

Melt me why don't ya.

haha, imagine it being said in a subtle Irish accent as well. :wink:
To be honest I'd doubt if someone loved someone if they could causally go 'what you can't have children? Going to give it a miss then, see ya'.

Also, infertility eradication is just around the corner what with converting somatic (body) cells into germ (sperm, egg) cells via stem cells. Goodbye menstruation, goodbye non-swimming sperm, goodbye, goodbye.

And in the perhaps more distant future, gestation outside of the body will free and empower more people when it comes to their children.

Meanwhile, let the fan sci-fi ensue!
Also, infertility eradication is just around the corner what with converting somatic (body) cells into germ (sperm, egg) cells via stem cells. Goodbye menstruation, goodbye non-swimming sperm, goodbye, goodbye.

And in the perhaps more distant future, gestation outside of the body will free and empower more people when it comes to their children.

That would be AWESOME.
That would be AWESOME.

Indeed. Growing a human inside of you and then excreting it is creepy and weird in so many ways. Nature is a bitch and we shall certainly **** "with" her :h:
Indeed. Growing a human inside of you and then excreting it is creepy and weird in so many ways. Nature is a bitch and we shall certainly **** "with" her :h:

Yeah that natural way of conceiving a child is the main reason I do not want to have children, the second being I don't want to be expected to be the main child carer.

That would be AWESOME.

That does sound awesome. Just watch it doing it's work. Hassle free child growth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending