The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Medicine Offer Holders 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toiletpaper8
Current Imperial final year here... some 6 years ago, I had offers from Birmingham and Southampton too and was undecided between So'ton and Imperial.

My thoughts at the time was that I preferred a 5 year degree and the people at Imperial taking me around were quite arrogant and I didn't particularly like it... everyone thought I was mad for considering So'ton over Imperial but long story... I ended up at Imperial anyway. 5 and a half years down the line now... I have to say the intercalated degree is A LOT of fun and time flies in medical school. You all probably think 6 years is long now but it goes in no time at all and you start wishing you had longer in uni. So the intercalated year is great for that, it's also really laid back, and adds points for any job applications later on. And if science isn't your thing you can always choose something like medical humanities for your project or do a BSc in management or global health.

Socially, Imperial has always left a little bit to be desired (but I'm not convinced Birmingham with their absurd A* requirement will be socially any more upbeat within medicine - if you had said Leeds, Sheffield... etc) but it really is what you make of it. You will find some of your peers to be scarily padding their CVs at every possible opportunity and it can become a little bit of a pressure cooker at times - which isn't the case in many other medical schools. But hang with the right group and you should be ok. Also, London versus Birmingham as a city... you have to be mad to compare. You're going to be in South Kensington for your first two years, stone's throw from Hyde Park, stunning area, Central London is really close by...

Also, the male to female ratio does suck, and inevitably will have some impact on your social life either way. But you are in London, so it really is what you make of it, you just need to try more to have the same smashing experience! I have enjoyed my almost 6 years here... though by the time you guys start here, I'll be off doctoring :wink:

Thankyou for your input.

My issue with the intercalation is that I don't know if it's actually beneficial to my potential career. It represents an extra year of uni and, while I'm not intrinsically opposed to being at uni for a year longer, I need to find out if the money and effort spent on that extra year (and the generally higher cost of living in London, compared to Birmingham) is worth it in the long run.

Regarding everything else, I need to balance the cost with the social/academic experience. As you say, London is great but Imperial's m:f ratio gets in the way and, fwiw, Birmingham is well-known for its sociable medical students and extremely successful Medsoc.

It essentially boils down to:

Compulsory intercalation (Imperial) vs Optional intercalation (Birmingham)

London (great, expensive) vs Birmingham (good, cheaper)

m:f ratio (Birmingham > Imperial)

Oh well, not a bad problem to have.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Current Imperial final year here... some 6 years ago, I had offers from Birmingham and Southampton too and was undecided between So'ton and Imperial.

My thoughts at the time was that I preferred a 5 year degree and the people at Imperial taking me around were quite arrogant and I didn't particularly like it... everyone thought I was mad for considering So'ton over Imperial but long story... I ended up at Imperial anyway. 5 and a half years down the line now... I have to say the intercalated degree is A LOT of fun and time flies in medical school. You all probably think 6 years is long now but it goes in no time at all and you start wishing you had longer in uni. So the intercalated year is great for that, it's also really laid back, and adds points for any job applications later on. And if science isn't your thing you can always choose something like medical humanities for your project or do a BSc in management or global health.

Socially, Imperial has always left a little bit to be desired (but I'm not convinced Birmingham with their absurd A* requirement will be socially any more upbeat within medicine - if you had said Leeds, Sheffield... etc) but it really is what you make of it. You will find some of your peers to be scarily padding their CVs at every possible opportunity and it can become a little bit of a pressure cooker at times - which isn't the case in many other medical schools. But hang with the right group and you should be ok. Also, London versus Birmingham as a city... you have to be mad to compare. You're going to be in South Kensington for your first two years, stone's throw from Hyde Park, stunning area, Central London is really close by...

Also, the male to female ratio does suck, and inevitably will have some impact on your social life either way. But you are in London, so it really is what you make of it, you just need to try more to have the same smashing experience! I have enjoyed my almost 6 years here... though by the time you guys start here, I'll be off doctoring :wink:

Thanks for the wonderful input! Sounds like you are enjoying your life in Imperial!
Where are you going to do your foundation years? Another open question for you is that, if you were going to start reading medicine over again at Imperial, would you do anything different and what would you like to achieve in these six years?
Imperial hasn't responded to my email about the DBS and Good Conduct thingy... I'll call them on Friday if there's no response by then
Original post by ozbilege
Imperial hasn't responded to my email about the DBS and Good Conduct thingy... I'll call them on Friday if there's no response by then

Don't forget they will be super busy
and I think they say they'll reply within 14/20 days
Imperial medics,here is the facebook group for 2015 offer holders, feel free to join and chat!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/335288156664338/
Reply 65
I live in London (40 mins away from Imperial by tube), someone convince me to stay in halls for first year. Is it really worth the money?
Original post by krimz
I live in London (40 mins away from Imperial by tube), someone convince me to stay in halls for first year. Is it really worth the money?

You can roll out of bed 4 minutes before lectures
Also being at home takes away a lot of the social side of university
Reply 67
Original post by Futuremedic2096
You can roll out of bed 4 minutes before lectures
Also being at home takes away a lot of the social side of university

haha yeah true but that also depends on where you get accommodation. For one of my friends it takes him 20 mins to get to his lectures. You also have to keep in mind we're going to university for twice the time than everyone else with other courses, therefore a much higher student debt. Are you also from London btw?
Original post by krimz
haha yeah true but that also depends on where you get accommodation. For one of my friends it takes him 20 mins to get to his lectures. You also have to keep in mind we're going to university for twice the time than everyone else with other courses, therefore a much higher student debt. Are you also from London btw?

No Norwich, Norfolk
Very true
But i won't be happy with anything other than princes gardens or beit
Don't forget the Imperial bursary
Original post by DCMed96
Thanks for the wonderful input! Sounds like you are enjoying your life in Imperial!
Where are you going to do your foundation years? Another open question for you is that, if you were going to start reading medicine over again at Imperial, would you do anything different and what would you like to achieve in these six years?

I've accepted an academic job, not really going to say much more to protect my identity :wink:

And I would have probably made more of all the free time in 5th year and kept in touch with my non-medic friends. Overall, Imperial is great, just make the most of your opportunities!
I've accepted an academic job, not really going to say much more to protect my identity :wink:

And I would have probably made more of all the free time in 5th year and kept in touch with my non-medic friends. Overall, Imperial is great, just make the most of your opportunities!

Is it the ACF? I am also considering that as well, how hard it is and how competitive it is?
Also, after 4th year (intercalation), how many ppl actually continuing doing research as a PHD and which schools do they usually go to? Do they stay at Imperial or is it possible to transfer to Oxbridge to do the PHD?
Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DCMed96
Is it the ACT? I am also considering that as well, how hard it is and how competitive it is?
Also, after 4th year (intercalation), how many ppl actually continuing doing research as a PHD and which schools do they usually go to? Do they stay at Imperial or is it possible to transfer to Oxbridge to do the PHD?
Thanks!

Act?
Do you not want to be a doctor jack?
Original post by DCMed96
Is it the ACT? I am also considering that as well, how hard it is and how competitive it is?
Thanks!

It's the academic foundation programme - getting more and more competitive year after year. Realistically by the time you get around to it, you need to think about your application and how to boost it early or you'll never get a job.

A handful do a MB/PhD (I think 3-4 in my year). They generally stay at Imperial but you can apply outside.

Seriously though, everyone thinks research is cool before medical school... very few still think that after year 1!
Act?
Do you not want to be a doctor jack?

It is ACF actually,
http://www.medicalcareers.nhs.uk/career_options/academic_medicine/academic_clinical_fellowships.aspx
I want to do some academic stuff while practising
Original post by DCMed96
It is ACF actually,
http://www.medicalcareers.nhs.uk/career_options/academic_medicine/academic_clinical_fellowships.aspx
I want to do some academic stuff while practising

A lot of people do without doing a PhD, i dont think that would be the best option if you want to do both
But my advise us feeble compared to toilet papers
I imagine the idea becomes less appealing over time
We will see what she says ha
Also from that link it looks like you do ACF after fy1&2 and general training -now that is a long way away :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
It's the academic foundation programme - getting more and more competitive year after year. Realistically by the time you get around to it, you need to think about your application and how to boost it early or you'll never get a job.

A handful do a MB/PhD (I think 3-4 in my year). They generally stay at Imperial but you can apply outside.

Seriously though, everyone thinks research is cool before medical school... very few still think that after year 1!

Can I ask what the social life is like please
Can I ask what the social life is like pleade

Imperial in general, not great.

The medical school, pretty good.
Imperial in general, not great.

The medical school, pretty good.

Cool, medical school is what I'm interested in
And my friend is going to ucl so I'll share her friends
Thankyou for comments :smile:
Just received an offer! :biggrin:

Will be firming, I think!
Original post by usycool1
Just received an offer! :biggrin:

Will be firming, I think!

Yaaayy well done!! I will be too - join the offer holder's page on facebook :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending