The Student Room Group

Cambridge Re-applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ILovePancakes
Argh this makes me feel so undeserving.. You're like a child prodigy and I'm just a bit meh. Good luck with your reapplication if you do :smile:.

It's just luck... I wasn't expecting that ums either :biggrin: and maybe with a little technique on exams I picked up in a Chinese high school? Haha

I know you're doing IB and I know how challenging that is! You're great :biggrin: I definitely can't manage to learn that many subjects at the same time. And just think about all those essays...

Good luck with your exams (if you still have any) and your life in Cambridge! Hope I can get in and see you next year :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rovensie
It's just luck... I wasn't expecting that ums either :biggrin: and maybe with a little technique on exams I picked up in a Chinese high school? Haha

I know you're doing IB and I know how challenging that is! You're great :biggrin: I definitely can't manage to learn that many subjects at the same time. And just think about all those essays...

Good luck with your exams (if you still have any) and your life in Cambridge! Hope I can get in and see you next year :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I suppose that exams have a lot to do with technique, but still :eek:

IB is hard, but manageable :tongue: six subjects but I love them (bar French :ahhhhh:) and so it's ok.

Thank you :h:. Haven't actually taken any exams yet, so don't know if I'll meet the offer :cry2:, but yes, hopefully!!
Original post by ILovePancakes
Yeah, I suppose that exams have a lot to do with technique, but still :eek:

IB is hard, but manageable :tongue: six subjects but I love them (bar French :ahhhhh:) and so it's ok.

Thank you :h:. Haven't actually taken any exams yet, so don't know if I'll meet the offer :cry2:, but yes, hopefully!!

Of course you will meet that :biggrin:

Haha I'm just soooooo used to exams. Never feeling nervous anymore :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rovensie
I am an international applicant from China. I applied to Pembroke for HSPS, was auto pooled and then rejected.

My a levels were mainly science subjects: maths, further maths, economics and physics. I was asked in both of my interviews why I chose these subjects but I couldn't really give an answer because that's all my school offers. I am planning to self teach some arts and humanities a levels and complete AS in June together with my current A2's, and reapply.

My ums was 97.6, including further maths. I completed A Level maths. However I didn't complete the other AS's by the time I applied due to timetable problems (I was a part time student for a levels and I learned at a Chinese high school as well - not anymore though). My prediction was A*A*AA (one of the A*'s has already been achieved in maths)

My interviews went quite well, despite the fact that the questions wasn't challenging and I didn't feel that they were pushing me forward. Maybe my answers were too childish (I was only 15 when I was interviewed)

While taking new a levels, I also plan to do some voluntary work. I haven't found any suitable ones though. I am considering online volunteering, but most of the websites requires at least 18 years of age.

I am planning to reapply for HSPS, preferably to Pembroke again. I really liked it when I lived there for the interviews. I probably will choose to be interviewed at Shanghai this year though, I can't afford to fly to England from China just for the interviews again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

which school in Shanghai are you from? I'm also an international student in Shanghai.
Original post by chichi_1
which school in Shanghai are you from? I'm also an international student in Shanghai.

Oh I'm not in shanghai... I'm in dalian:smile:

Shanghai is the only place for interview in China so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grammar12
They do not transfer universities. They apply for a different course, and are therefore (by definition) applicants, not transfer students. And also, from experience, a number of people I know have done this. One of which re applied in his first year for Geography, whilst he was studying English. I also have a friend who was rejected from all of her universities, reapplied in a gap year and received an unconditional offer from Cambridge. I think its important to consider that whilst you may not know anybody who is in this situation, there are thousands of students at Cambridge all in different situations.

You know one person, I know none. We have both had a circle of contacts at Cambridge. I didn't say it couldn't be done if you changed course, I can read the website too, I just said it wasn't common. I met loads of people who were reapplications, loads who had done a Gap year, many who were older or younger than average, these things are common.

"Students at other UK universities

Please note that the Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances.

Any application to study at Cambridge would need strong support from your Course Director or other academic tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from that person to the Cambridge College would be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider an application. All such applications are still subject to the same academic assessment as any other application to the University"

if somebody who hasn't even started at University is asking now if they can reapply to Cambridge in the autumn they will have only have done about four weeks of the course when the deadline occurs. They are not treated the same as first time applicants unless they have withdrawn from their course. They have to have the strong support of their tutor and evidence their choice of course has changed. If they know now their preferred course has changed why not just do a Gap year and reapply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Thinking of Pembroke is like thinking my ex now :biggrin:

Every time I listen to love songs I'm like 'yeah I've been moving on'

I've been trying to think about other colleges, their advantages that Pembroke does not have but... I'm still making every possible connection, the arms, that chapel and the buildings, interview questions, even 'Trumpington St' and 'Tennis Court Rd'

Don't ever tell me that I was never in love with anyone, and that I don't know about love, I just broke up with Pembroke lol :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just got feedback from Downing... My UMS average was too low, as I knew, and my second interview went badly bringing by interview score down to a 6.6 out of 10. All those admitted had 8 and above. I'm actually alright with this, as I feel that the weaknesses that they picked up on in my interview technique can be improved on in the 9 months before the application process starts again. Has anyone else heard back?
Original post by Rainybird
What are you guys going to do in your gaps years? I want to reapply to Maths but do not know how I can strengthen my application over my gap year?

Also how are you guys going to explain your gap year? Will it look bad saying telling the truth?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think "explaining" is the right approach to take. With science subjects, they don't like gap years as your skills can deteriorate over the course of a year out, so keeping your maths skills up through some sort of academic course may be a better idea than any work experience.
Hey guys, do you think it would be inappropriate to email the college asking for interview scores? I sent a request for feedback but my teacher told me that it would probably be very generic. I wish I'd get one like Turtleberry's
Reply 110
Original post by aprilsfls
Hey guys, do you think it would be inappropriate to email the college asking for interview scores? I sent a request for feedback but my teacher told me that it would probably be very generic. I wish I'd get one like Turtleberry's

Wait for the feedback and you might be lucky. Otherwise, absolutely do it. No harm in trying, and you've got nothing to lose from it.
Original post by TurtleberrySoup
I just got feedback from Downing... My UMS average was too low, as I knew, and my second interview went badly bringing by interview score down to a 6.6 out of 10. All those admitted had 8 and above. I'm actually alright with this, as I feel that the weaknesses that they picked up on in my interview technique can be improved on in the 9 months before the application process starts again. Has anyone else heard back?

Just heard back from Downing too. My interview score was 5.9 -____-

It says my UMS was really impressive though and that I was in the top quintile. Any ideas for improving interview skills? Also did yours have the bit that says you didn't get an offer partly due to the 'striking' strength of this years candidates? Want to know if that was generic or they genuinely thought I had a chance another year...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rainybird
Just heard back from Downing too. My interview score was 5.9 -____-

It says my UMS was really impressive though and that I was in the top quintile. Any ideas for improving interview skills? Also did yours have the bit that says you didn't get an offer partly due to the 'striking' strength of this years candidates? Want to know if that was generic or they genuinely thought I had a chance another year...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that bit was generic, unfortunately. I think doing more practice interviews with teachers, alumni et al seems to be the way to go for improvement.
If it's any help with getting over the stress of the interview - don't treat it like an interview. I went in thinking that I've got 30 minutes to talk about something I love with people who know a lot about it, basically experts. No stress. Keeps you calm, focused and interesting. Attitude is everything, no one likes a stiff.
Reply 114

As someone who was rejected from Oxford, applied to Cambridge with low, low UMS and got in, the difference in your interview ability will be huge if do choose to re-apply. The only warning I'd give you is unplanned gap years are not fun, and if you can't go backpacking in Ecuador or something you'll find yourself face-to-face with quite a few dull weekends.
Original post by Wist
As someone who was rejected from Oxford, applied to Cambridge with low, low UMS and got in, the difference in your interview ability will be huge if do choose to re-apply. The only warning I'd give you is unplanned gap years are not fun, and if you can't go backpacking in Ecuador or something you'll find yourself face-to-face with quite a few dull weekends.

How's trinity hall :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wist

Yeah, I'm planning my gap year now and the prospect of being at home for my weekends (with compulsory church services; the atheist's definition of hell) sounds dull as anything, however I do feel that the potential pay off will be rewarding enough to make up for it. And weekends without homework to do can't be that bad, right?
Yeah, I'm planning my gap year now and the prospect of being at home for my weekends (with compulsory church services; the atheist's definition of hell) sounds dull as anything, however I do feel that the potential pay off will be rewarding enough to make up for it. And weekends without homework to do can't be that bad, right?

Just out of curiosity, why do you still need to do church service if you're an atheist? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118

You'll be surprised when they wear off :tongue: I think I was a little pessimistic. Its not THAT bad, and the money and time freedom is nice - you will go to university with spending money and safety barriers to prevent yourself going on an overdraft etc. Its just I've found my friends who had plans to work for x months and then do something big are /have enjoyed gap years more.
Now I've thought about it, I really doubt I can be bothered to take an entire year off. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending