The Student Room Group

Every relationship is long distance...

I have never been able to meet someone who will just always be around...

My first relationship, the longest, started when I met my ex boyfriend in Italy on an exchange. We were together for 5 years, the last of which we lived together in the UK.

The next was an 8 month relationship, we met in France and had 2 months together before being in a long distance relationship...

In both relationships we did find time to meet every month or two flying to one another's country of residence and/or travelling together, spending Christmas together etc, but it was seldom permanent.

I told myself I wouldn't get back into this kind of relationship, as whilst it can be romantic, it can also be extremely sad saying goodbye and spending most of your time alone. I think on the other hand part of me likes the independence it offers-you only have to be in relationship mode for some of the time and can continue to live like a single human being for the rest of the time. I am not sure whether this is healthy or not though?

Anyhow, just met someone whislt couchsurfing and he has invited me back. I am going back at the end of the month and part of me is all excited and the other half dreads what is coming next...
All of my previous relationships were long distance, and not by choice. If you find that you are deliberately finding someone to be in a long distance relationship with, you may need to take a step back and evaluate your intentions.

A healthy relationship, long or no distance, will never make you feel like you can't be independent. If you do the things that being a single person entails while in your long distance relationship, then you are definitely not cut out for relationships at the moment and should just take a breather.
Reply 2
Original post by strawberry
All of my previous relationships were long distance, and not by choice. If you find that you are deliberately finding someone to be in a long distance relationship with, you may need to take a step back and evaluate your intentions.

A healthy relationship, long or no distance, will never make you feel like you can't be independent. If you do the things that being a single person entails while in your long distance relationship, then you are definitely not cut out for relationships at the moment and should just take a breather.

It doesn't seem to be a conscious choice, it just happens and I am wondering whether my subconscious wants it.
Original post by Anonymous
It doesn't seem to be a conscious choice, it just happens and I am wondering whether my subconscious wants it.

Possibly. You're only going to know if you take a step back. I understand though, that the freedom is nice, but being in a relationship has its boundaries as well, so if you rather just be single and act single, stay single.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending