The Student Room Group

Do teachers have to report self harm to parents if you're over 18?

I was wondering whether your tutor/teacher has to report self harm to your parents if you're over 18? I haven't been coping very well for the past year and about six months ago I started cutting again. I want to tell my tutor just to tell someone who might be able to help, he has meetings with me now because I have problems with social anxiety and confidence and stuff, and I really feel like it would help if I could tell him. But I really really don't want my parents to find out. Any advice would be very much appreciated, thank you :smile:
They don't have to, but the're also not obliged to keep it confidential. Its really at their discretion

Does your school/college have a counselling service? It might be worth using it if it does as they do have to keep things confidential unless they think you or someone else is in serious danger
Reply 2
They can report it at their own discretion. I'm sure if you ask him not to tell your parents then he will oblige, but alternatively perhaps you should ask to be referred to the school councellor? Keep in mind he is probably not a trained therapist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
They don't have to, but the're also not obliged to keep it confidential. Its really at their discretion

Does your school/college have a counselling service? It might be worth using it if it does as they do have to keep things confidential unless they think you or someone else is in serious danger

I think there are counsellors at college, there are student services and everything. But, I wouldn't be able to go and talk to someone I didn't know about things, I'd get too anxious at even trying to arrange a meeting. I know that sounds pathetic.
Original post by Anonymous
I think there are counsellors at college, there are student services and everything. But, I wouldn't be able to go and talk to someone I didn't know about things, I'd get too anxious at even trying to arrange a meeting. I know that sounds pathetic.

Perhaps get your teacher to arrange it for you. Counsellors are trained to make you feel comfortable and work out how to make it easier for you to open up and will be fine giving you a few sessions just to chat and get used to them. You wouldn't have to open up about everything all at once.
Reply 5
Does the same apply when you're over 16, or can teachers still tell your parents without you wanting them to?
Original post by sxssanie
Does the same apply when you're over 16, or can teachers still tell your parents without you wanting them to?

Again, they're not obliged to keep it confidential like a counsellor would be, so they can, but that doesn't mean to say they will.

Quick Reply

Latest