The Student Room Group

What A-levels are the most valuable to universities?

I want to know.
Original post by Ben Johnson
I want to know.

Totally depends on the course you're doing. The Russell Group has a list of 'facilitating' subject which are generally seen as good choices but which choices are valuable totally depend on your degree course. Mathematics, for instance, is a facilitating subject but it will be of limited help if you're planning on taking English Literature at University.
No answer to this question really as it all depends what you want to do after.

For me personally though anything other than Maths, physics, chem, bio is a waste of time.
Once again it depends on the subjects, arts/sciences etc. I could probably think of the best combination for each subject though if you want to know.
However if you want to do say an all rounded subject such as law, probably History, English Literature, Maths and then maybe a language or science.
Reply 5
Original post by wildeskills
Once again it depends on the subjects, arts/sciences etc. I could probably think of the best combination for each subject though if you want to know.

How about for medicine?
Original post by genius00
How about for medicine?

Maths and sciences, particularly chemistry.
Universities highly regard facilitating subjects, which are:
English literature History
Modern Languages e.g. French, German, Spanish etc…
Classical languages e.g. Latin, Ancient Greek
Maths & Further Maths
Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Geography
How about for medicine?

Maths, Chemistry, Biology and then anything you want really. Maybe further maths or physics
Reply 9

I do.
I do.

Which subjects in particular then?
Which subjects in particular then?

I'm considering maths and physics.

Both probably the same- Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

Maths, further maths, physics. Additional further if you're up for it.

The other subjects don't matter as much, but chemistry, biology or computing would be good 4/5th options.
This is the argument that never goes away.

It is important to take A levels that will allow you to get into your chosen university, but a big mistake is to take all the hardest subjects, under the intention that they will get you in.

Yes, sciences, humanities and maths are probably regarded as more academic.

But if your going to take Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and come out with ABCC, then it probably wasn't worth your time, as the top universities looking for these "desired" subjects, will not accept you due to the lower A level grades.

Therefore, unless your confident that you will do well with the above, taking slightly easier combination may be better, Maths, Chemistry, ICT and Business Studies and get AAAB or something at A level.

As for medicine, my brother has applied for that this year, with the AS off Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Physiology, dropping Physics at AS level.
How about for medicine?

Biology and Chemistry then two other academic subjects will give you the most options. Some you can get away with physics or maths instead of biology. Cambridge ask for 3 sciences, but no other university currently or has ever expressed a preference for 3 sciences. UCL has preference for a contrasting non-science subject. Many unis do not recognise further maths as a third a-level.

A relatively up to date breakdown is here.

Quick Reply

Latest