The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How are we supposed to refer to black people?

Scroll to see replies

On the occasions that I feel it useful or appropriate to refer to a person's skin colour, I tend to refer to what I know or believe to be their ethnicity- afro-Carribean or Indian, for example.
Reply 181
Original post by Boks
He didn't apologise because 'sensible people' got offended. He apologised because it's an incredibly subjective term, and from a logical point of view isnt exactly a valid description of a person is it? It assumes white as default, and everyone else as a variation.

'White' people are a colour as much as anyone else. This isn't about being black or white, it's assuming one skin tone is 'default' enough to be able to assume that it's everyone else in the world thats a different colour and not them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly this. Why do some find this so difficult to understand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
I just watched this video of someone using the term "coloured actors" and a load of people were complaining about it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2927166/I-m-idiot-m-devastated-caused-offense-British-actor-Benedict-Cumberbatch-issues-apology-calling-black-people-colored-television.html

I thought a while ago we couldn't say "black people" and now we can't say "coloured" :confused:

What are we supposed to say?

The correct term is 'people of colour' or POC although that is a broader term that encompasses all non-whites. Black people is also acceptable.

Coloured people is an outdated term used by posh people such as Cumberbore. Kudos to him for apologising, however.
Reply 183
Correct term based on what? I dont remember anyone polling for a consensus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Plastic Face
why do you want to 'point them out' to begin with? that sounds like very invasive and hostile behavior...

black people are allowed to call us white people... cause wev been calling em black for long time now.. its only fair...

also... i dont like your attitude. you should not be calling anyone by their skin color these days... i dont care if its easier... you should be describing them as u would anyone else.

Why would you want to point out people with red hair? I don't care if it's easier, calling people redheads seems very invasive behaviour. Call them by their name!

So basically, we should never discuss physical characteristics ever.

You are an idiot.
Lets be honest, there will always be those who get offended by what ever word you use.

As long as there is not offensive intent in the statement, what is the problem?

There is not a Political Correctness Handbook which we can all refer to in times of disagreement. If you don't like the word used, pleasantly inform that person of using a word you are uncomfortable with and move on.
Original post by redferry
The correct term is 'people of colour' or POC although that is a broader term that encompasses all non-whites. Black people is also acceptable.

Coloured people is an outdated term used by posh people such as Cumberbore. Kudos to him for apologising, however.

I've had people in this thread say that's an offensive term. I was always of the impression that this was correct, but not everyone agrees.
Black

Just like a white person is white
some black people are unhappy with using the terminology of coloured or even black, when all over social media i see black people post vines, videos, photos etc using the word n1gga for fun
Original post by minimarshmallow
I've had people in this thread say that's an offensive term. I was always of the impression that this was correct, but not everyone agrees.

Strange, my friend whose really into that sort of stuff goes with that being correct, so I've always taken my cues from her.

Not that I'm claiming she represents the feelings of all black people, she's just very clued up on that sort of thing in the main.
Strange, my friend whose really into that sort of stuff goes with that being correct, so I've always taken my cues from her.

Not that I'm claiming she represents the feelings of all black people, she's just very clued up on that sort of thing in the main.

I consider myself pretty clued up on this stuff as well, I am active in a lot of different communities, like to educate myself on stuff like this and found it was the prevailing term being used at the moment. I also take what celebrities say as well, doesn't Laverne Cox use this term (a woman of colour herself). I can see how people think it's not far from 'coloured' and therefore would think it was offensive as well, but it's what I've been seeing.
I always ask an individual to correct me if they think I am using the wrong word or phrase as well, I never intend to cause offense, but I recognise I'm not perfect.
This has to be something out of Gulliver's Travels. How can people get so riled up over saying "coloured" instead of "black"? We may as well be arguing over which way to put our eggs in our egg cups.
The issue is that it artificially creates, by language, a separation between 'us' and 'them'. It makes whites the owners of the language, and blacks the visitors. It's the same as using he to refer to a human, or man to refer to a person. It defines humanity by default whiteness or maleness or whatever.

Even the wording of the question "What should WE call THEM?" As if we are owners of the world and they are invaders, as if we have agency and power, and they don't. As if they have to be whatever we think they are. As if "our" surprise at their obvious blackness should define them, rather than their own opinion of themselves.

That is the problem.
Black is a perfectly acceptable term to use. I'm not sure who has ever stated that it isn't. Everybody (okay 99.9% of people) are going to be fine with this. I don't like the term coloured and a lot of people seem to have the same opinion. I have told a couple of my white friends not to say coloured. They meant nothing bad by it. It's better to just say black. If you say negro in 2015, I don't really know what to say. Especially if you're under the age of 60.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 194
Pretty sure thats the case here. The majority of flak against benedict cumberbatch is NOT coming from people who are demanding it shouldnt have been used in the first place. It's coming from white columnists and media faces saying he should never have had to have backtracked on the use of a word.
He's an intelligent man and saw the negative links associated with the terminology he used. He decided to agree that he used the wrong terminology. As far as i can see, the most prolific commentators on the post are defending a white privilege in which 'How dare they be offended, the sensitive bastards' comes to the fore. Obviously this is not the majority of white people, but thats how a lot of commentators have been treating the issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The yogscast discussed this issue a few years ago as to what to call black people. Hope you enjoy.

http://youtu.be/VcEbRECcy88?t=5m6s

Of people who know the term POC it's either for or against, no middle ground and no increased weighting either side (from my experiences anyway)
I like the term Negro.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
I like the term Negro.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not about what you like but what is offensive and negro is offensive.
Original post by RFUR1
It's not about what you like but what is offensive and negro is offensive.

Oh well. I like it. Sorry negro.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending