The Student Room Group

C3 Differentation: Where did I go wrong in this question...?

I've attached my working out as well as the question :smile:

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by creativebuzz
I've attached my working out as well as the question :smile:

Your attachment hasn't worked.
Original post by aoxa
Your attachment hasn't worked.

Fixed

:smile:
Reply 3
Fixed

:smile:

At the end, you don't need to square root the x and y co-ordinates, as the distance you are finding is just the distance from the origin to another point on the y axis, so your distance will just be the y co-ordinate, pi/2 -1.

I can't see where the other mistake is, with ending up with a -pi/2 -1 instead of a +pi/2 -1. :dontknow:
Original post by aoxa
At the end, you don't need to square root the x and y co-ordinates, as the distance you are finding is just the distance from the origin to another point on the y axis, so your distance will just be the y co-ordinate, pi/2 -1.

I can't see where the other mistake is, with ending up with a -pi/2 -1 instead of a +pi/2 -1. :dontknow:

Ah I see, thank you!

Is it alright if you can see where I'm going wrong here?
I've got the form of the equation correct but I don't know how to find "the greatest value of eachfunction and the smallest positive value of x"

Reply 5
Ah I see, thank you!

Is it alright if you can see where I'm going wrong here?
I've got the form of the equation correct but I don't know how to find "the greatest value of eachfunction and the smallest positive value of x"

I'm sorry but we don't do that for our spec so I have no idea what you're doing! I would suggest differentiating it and put solving dy/dx=0 for the greatest value of the function because I recall doing something similar in step class but I don't know if that would help at all!
Original post by aoxa
I'm sorry but we don't do that for our spec so I have no idea what you're doing! I would suggest differentiating it and put solving dy/dx=0 for the greatest value of the function because I recall doing something similar in step class but I don't know if that would help at all!

Oh no that's okay! :smile: Positive rating given anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest