The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

I did English Language, Religious Studies and Art at A-Level and then 1st year of English Lang and Ling degree.
do you guys think mature students get more of an advantage then college students? most of the interview I have now been to, has consisted of a lot of experienced mature students
Original post by naimah_786
do you guys think mature students get more of an advantage then college students? most of the interview I have now been to, has consisted of a lot of experienced mature students

Think the course attracts a lot of mature students and I think the extra experience is helpful but don't think there is any discrimination against either age group.

How did it go at Manchester? Do you like it?
Original post by naimah_786

When I went to the Birmingham City interview they said they viewed everyone as equal. However, I suppose if someone straight from college only has say work experience with primary school children and a mature applicant has work experience with people of all ages and disabilities I suppose that does give them an advantage despite having had more time to do so :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JordanC55
I did English Language, Religious Studies and Art at A-Level and then 1st year of English Lang and Ling degree.

would you continue your degree in the unlikely event that you didn't get an offer from an English uni or will you take your Scottish offer?
Original post by AmyPilot
I am cheating cos I am not applying this year (but familiar with the stresses from going through all this last year) but I did Psychology, Sociology, Religious Studies and English Literature/Language at A2 and also have critical thinking AS (for what its worth!).

What are you studying and how's it all going?

Well I'm only PICKING my a levels at the moment, but i want to be a speech and language therapist!
Original post by ruthie_nuggetty
Well I'm only PICKING my a levels at the moment, but i want to be a speech and language therapist!

The three main ones that unis look for is English language, psychology and biology - most only say 1 is necessary but if you did 2/3 of them I recon it would give some good background knowledge before you got onto a course!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh in that case the best subjects are biology English language psychology a foreign language sociology and some unis like music! Good luck with your future plans
Original post by Higlet
The three main ones that unis look for is English language, psychology and biology - most only say 1 is necessary but if you did 2/3 of them I recon it would give some good background knowledge before you got onto a course!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

You heard from Leeds yet?
Hi

You heard from Leeds yet?

No! I'm still waiting!! Although I'm really coming around to the idea of Manchester met at the mo - obviously I'd be gutted if Leeds rejected me without even an interview but having two offers on the table is making it easier to accept that Leeds may not happen :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
No! I'm still waiting!! Although I'm really coming around to the idea of Manchester met at the mo - obviously I'd be gutted if Leeds rejected me without even an interview but having two offers on the table is making it easier to accept that Leeds may not happen :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't give up hope yet but MMU isn't a bad option (not that I am biased lol) - need to get to know next years students because I will be spending my last 3 years with them!
Don't give up hope yet but MMU isn't a bad option (not that I am biased lol) - need to get to know next years students because I will be spending my last 3 years with them!

Because you're doing the psychology with speech therapy does that mean your first year was purely psych and then you're doing the speech therapy courses with us lot then or is it all integrated?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Because you're doing the psychology with speech therapy does that mean your first year was purely psych and then you're doing the speech therapy courses with us lot then or is it all integrated?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No this year I am doing 3 of the 4 SLT modules and 1 psychology - next year I do the SLT module I missed and lots of psychology but I think I finish all my SLT units after that with 2015 intakes
I was just thinking if I have a degree but at 2.2 will this set me back a bit?
No this year I am doing 3 of the 4 SLT modules and 1 psychology - next year I do the SLT module I missed and lots of psychology but I think I finish all my SLT units after that with 2015 intakes

Ahhh I see!! That's good then, they've stopped doing the course with psychology now haven't they? I bet it's really interesting to get a deeper understanding of the psychology!
Well if I hear nothing from Leeds (or maybe even of I do - who knows!) you may be finishing it with me! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Ahhh I see!! That's good then, they've stopped doing the course with psychology now haven't they? I bet it's really interesting to get a deeper understanding of the psychology!
Well if I hear nothing from Leeds (or maybe even of I do - who knows!) you may be finishing it with me! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes this year was the last intake - there are 12 of us - they nearly dropped it last year so I am really pleased that they went ahead with it. I enjoy psychology - always have since GCSE (though had some traumas last year with substitute teachers - self taught most of it in the end!). Will be good if I get a decent grade to have a joint honours degree - keeps my options open for the longer term!

If you get Leeds you will have a big decision to make - glad I didn't have that dilemma in the end! I just had to decide which course to do at MMU and then which Manchester uni I wanted to go to. U of Manchester was my insurance choice as I had a lower BBB offer from them. Thankfully didn't need it in the end but its a whole year of worrying about one thing and then something else (apply, interviews, await decisions, exams, results day argh I feel for you).
Original post by Higlet

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really annoying because my school dont offer english language. I'm defo doing biology but not psychology because I've heard its a 'soft' subject. Do you think that would be okay? I am thinking of doing english lit, french and chemistry too?
Yes this year was the last intake - there are 12 of us - they nearly dropped it last year so I am really pleased that they went ahead with it. I enjoy psychology - always have since GCSE (though had some traumas last year with substitute teachers - self taught most of it in the end!). Will be good if I get a decent grade to have a joint honours degree - keeps my options open for the longer term!

If you get Leeds you will have a big decision to make - glad I didn't have that dilemma in the end! I just had to decide which course to do at MMU and then which Manchester uni I wanted to go to. U of Manchester was my insurance choice as I had a lower BBB offer from them. Thankfully didn't need it in the end but its a whole year of worrying about one thing and then something else (apply, interviews, await decisions, exams, results day argh I feel for you).

Wow sounds like you still did well to get onto the course though! I find psychology so interesting! If they still had the course going for 2015 entries I think I would have probably applied for it!

The stress is unreal and never ending! I'll be so glad once results day is out of the way!
By the way, do you know when the starting date for manchester met is? Is it like the first week of September or is it later?
I think I'll put Birmingham as my insurance because they're BBB but also said they'd accept stuff like ABC too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's really annoying because my school dont offer english language. I'm defo doing biology but not psychology because I've heard its a 'soft' subject. Do you think that would be okay? I am thinking of doing english lit, french and chemistry too?

Yeah they do only require one of the three and your other subjects sound solid! That's a shame about English language! I do English literature now and that's fairly cool - just make sure you enjoy reading (I know people in my classes who don't!)

However, don't write off psychology - if you know speech therapy is what you want to go into, then that itself will involve some psychology!! I'm currently doing A2 psychology and LOVE it, I think the reputation that psychology is a 'soft' subject is actually fairly outdated now. It's becoming more and more popular and some of the studies and concepts/theories is fascinating!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Wow sounds like you still did well to get onto the course though! I find psychology so interesting! If they still had the course going for 2015 entries I think I would have probably applied for it!

The stress is unreal and never ending! I'll be so glad once results day is out of the way!
By the way, do you know when the starting date for manchester met is? Is it like the first week of September or is it later?
I think I'll put Birmingham as my insurance because they're BBB but also said they'd accept stuff like ABC too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea to put BCU as insurance as they seem to be more flexible about the grades.

This year we started on 22 September for induction week - imagine it will be a similar date this year.

Its a shame they have stopped the joint course just pleased I made it in time.

Sure you will do ok come results day - though that's when I got nervous about uni cos it was real then! That morning logging onto track before you have your results to see if your offer has gone unconditional - oh gosh I cant describe how that feels!

Quick Reply

Latest