The Student Room Group

Plagiarism in IT GCSE

Hey everyone, please don't shout at me but I think I may have cheated in my IT GCSE.

At my school, we have this student shared area where the teacher wants us to save our coursework (which I think is the stupidest idea). This of course means EVERYONE in the class has taken snippets from their friends coursework or at least looked at their class mates work for ideas or guidance (because our teacher is absolute crap).

Anyway, as everyone else was doing it (some even taking their coursework home on memory sticks and editing it at home etc.) I just went onto my friends document and copied 1 table. I then deleted all the content in the table she created and inserted all the info that was tailored to me. So there is NO content of hers in there. (if you're wondering why I copied the table, I think it was because the table thing wasn't working on my document and the pages were messing up and what not)

Could I be caught for plagiarism now, just for copying a table. I'm getting so anxious, so maybe I should just copy all the text from the table and create the table again, or am I over reacting? :s-smilie::confused:
Original post by romansholiday
Could I be caught for plagiarism now, just for copying a table. I'm getting so anxious, so maybe I should just copy all the text from the table and create the table again, or am I over reacting? :confused:

What you did is minuscule; I highly doubt you could consider that illicit. By using simply the table framework, you've just achieved something that could be generated with one or two button clicks anyway.

But yeah, GCSE ICT is quite flawed, not to mention our teacher was crap, too. For computer science, I assumed I would have to do it at A-level, too, but the head of department specifically told me not to because it's largely irrelevant and rubbish, especially for how our generation already knows how to use a computer.

It needs to be phased out and replaced with computer science, something which is in the works at this very moment.
You'll be fine as long as your work isn't identical, or obviously similar to your friend's.

It's risky business you know, would recommend you avoid it at all costs :redface: To be fair, when it comes to coursework I'm sure a lot of people take other peoples work home for 'inspiration'.
Original post by Jalal Uddin
You'll be fine as long as your work isn't identical, or obviously similar to your friend's.

It's risky business you know, would recommend you avoid it at all costs :redface: To be fair, when it comes to coursework I'm sure a lot of people take other peoples work home for 'inspiration'.

No, this table had to be tailored to our own websites that we created, so it's not identical.

And I'm never gonna do this again, it just gets me worried:frown:
Plagiarism is more to do with directly copying a lot of someone else's work, if you were to copy all of their work then yes you would be penalized. However for just copying a table don't worry at all, you have a justified reason :smile:
Original post by sjgriffiths
What you did is minuscule; I highly doubt you could consider that illicit. By using simply the table framework, you've just achieved something that could be generated with one or two button clicks anyway.

I'm guessing you did IT GCSE, do you know if OCR makes the teachers send off the coursework document or just a few students?

Don't worry if you don't know, just wondering.
Original post by Andrew657Thomas
Plagiarism is more to do with directly copying a lot of someone else's work, if you were to copy all of their work then yes you would be penalized. However for just copying a table don't worry at all, you have a justified reason :smile:

Really? So don't even bother converting the table to text then creating a new table and pasting it back in? I'm very worried
:cry:
I'm guessing you did IT GCSE, do you know if OCR makes the teachers send off the coursework document or just a few students?

Don't worry if you don't know, just wondering.

Hmm... I think they only asked for a certain number of samples, rather than everyone's... but, I can't quite remember.

In fact, thinking back to the strict, specific manner in which we had to hand in the final versions of the work, it may have all been sent off. I'd rather it be this because, otherwise, that means my crap teacher was responsible for marking my work and not quite giving my the A*!

...rich, considering it was his fault that he neglected to tell me about 9 different essential documents I should've done for the coursework.
No don't worry at all :smile: I mean you've used your initiative (Your table's not working (Not being able to draw them or something) and then getting someone else's and putting your own information in, and that's a really good skill to have :smile:!!
Original post by sjgriffiths
...rich, considering it was his fault that he neglected to tell me about 9 different essential documents I should've done for the coursework.

I think IT departments in Secondary Schools over the country seriously need Jesus. Most of the teachers are 50+ years old and have no idea how to work a computer.:biggrin:
Original post by Andrew657Thomas
No don't worry at all :smile: I mean you've used your initiative (Your table's not working (Not being able to draw them or something) and then getting someone else's and putting your own information in, and that's a really good skill to have :smile:!!

Thank you for reassuring me. It'll still worry me because I have anxiety issues but thanks anyway.:colondollar:
Hey everyone, please don't shout at me but I think I may have cheated in my IT GCSE.

At my school, we have this student shared area where the teacher wants us to save our coursework (which I think is the stupidest idea). This of course means EVERYONE in the class has taken snippets from their friends coursework or at least looked at their class mates work for ideas or guidance (because our teacher is absolute crap).

Anyway, as everyone else was doing it (some even taking their coursework home on memory sticks and editing it at home etc.) I just went onto my friends document and copied 1 table. I then deleted all the content in the table she created and inserted all the info that was tailored to me. So there is NO content of hers in there. (if you're wondering why I copied the table, I think it was because the table thing wasn't working on my document and the pages were messing up and what not)

Could I be caught for plagiarism now, just for copying a table. I'm getting so anxious, so maybe I should just copy all the text from the table and create the table again, or am I over reacting? :s-smilie::confused:

im laughing XD i did the same shhhhhhhhhh :wink: we as bad as each other
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Asad_2015
im laughing XD i did the same shhhhhhhhhh :wink: we as bad as each other

:wink::biggrin:
Original post by STUDYREVISE
its fine. change the text font/size in the titles of the table. that's it. its fine. :smile:

I'll do that, thank you:smile:
So can the examiner not see that I copied a table and pasted into my document? Is it really the actual words they are looking for or all the content? Thank you for all the replies by the way, very helpful
:ta:
:wink::biggrin:

hey dw your teacher wouldn't notice :smile: good luck

Quick Reply

Latest