The Student Room Group

I hate my degree, I don't know what to do

Really sorry for posting this in the relationships section, it's the only way I can appear anonymous.

Okay, so I currently study Biology. I liked Biology in high school and college, I've never really had a burning passion for any subject so I'd always choose the A-levels/degree that was seen as 'respected' and had good job prospects. Since I started in September, I knew since the first week this degree wasn't right for me, I posted on here & talked to family, they all said to just wait it out a few months, I've done just that but I still hate it. I go to lectures only because I have to, I have to stop myself from falling asleep because it's boring to me, I hate the practicals the most which is ironic seeing as I have to do two 3 hour practicals a week.

I've always been very academic/conscientious, I'm used to forcing myself to work even though I hate something so everyday when I come home, I study Biology for an hour, about 4 hours on weekends, and in terms of studying I'm ahead most of my peers (because I panic about failing). Now I'm starting to not bother studying because I have zero interest in this subject, I hate the practicals, I hate having to study everyday something which I don't like, I've TRIED to make myself like it by revising more, waiting a bit more etc but the feelings are still there. Dropping out is not an option for me, I don't know what to do. :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Really sorry for posting this in the relationships section, it's the only way I can appear anonymous.

Okay, so I currently study Biology. I liked Biology in high school and college, I've never really had a burning passion for any subject so I'd always choose the A-levels/degree that was seen as 'respected' and had good job prospects. Since I started in September, I knew since the first week this degree wasn't right for me, I posted on here & talked to family, they all said to just wait it out a few months, I've done just that but I still hate it. I go to lectures only because I have to, I have to stop myself from falling asleep because it's boring to me, I hate the practicals the most which is ironic seeing as I have to do two 3 hour practicals a week.

I've always been very academic/conscientious, I'm used to forcing myself to work even though I hate something so everyday when I come home, I study Biology for an hour, about 4 hours on weekends, and in terms of studying I'm ahead most of my peers (because I panic about failing). Now I'm starting to not bother studying because I have zero interest in this subject, I hate the practicals, I hate having to study everyday something which I don't like, I've TRIED to make myself like it by revising more, waiting a bit more etc but the feelings are still there. Dropping out is not an option for me, I don't know what to do. :confused:

Considered other degrees the university offers? Maybe you could transfer to the second year of another course?
Reply 2
I have friends that talk so passionately about their degrees and are loving them, I've never felt that way about mine. Another part of me says I should still force myself to continue because Biology is a good, useful degree and I have no idea what else I could do. I'm totally put off going into Biology as a career, it just isn't fun or interesting anymore. There's still SO much content to cover and the prospect of having to study all that and not having an interest is daunting. I am TRYING to study most days (now lacking motivation), but I still feel like I'm going to fail.
I would recommend you talk to your tutor/head of department as soon as possible. As said above, it is sometimes possible to transfer to another subject at the same university. They can also advise you about the possibility of transferring to another uni, or even dropping out altogether (I know you said that's not an option. Why not?). You don't have to make a decision right away, I would just get a good idea of what your options are.

Do you have any idea what you'd rather study?
There's no point in staying if you hate the subject that much unless the situation will drastically change when you get more choice in your modules second year (I'm sure you'd still have to do practicals though).

You might be able to transfer to another subject, although it's possible you'll have to start from first year again. You'll still get student finance for the extra year.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
Considered other degrees the university offers? Maybe you could transfer to the second year of another course?

I haven't really asked anybody yet if there's a possibility of me transferring, it's just Biology is the best degree I could've chosen for myself in regards to my interests and academic-wise, it's very broad and has parts of all the other degrees incorporated, I don't want to study it but at the same time studying it, puts me in a very good academic position, the other degrees I sort of like the sound of, feel like a step down and so I'm always thinking I'm just being stupid trying to transfer from a Biology degree which I worked very hard to get into just to throw such a good opportunity away.

If I went back to college, and had the same Biology teacher I had before, I just KNOW I'd love it again and everything would seem interesting so this makes me wonder if it's just the independent learning/lectures making me dislike it or if it's the content. Sorry I'm just so confused.
You've got nothing to lose by going to see your academic mentor about which degrees you could transfer to. At least you will know what the options are and they may be able to suggest something you haven't thought of.
I haven't really asked anybody yet if there's a possibility of me transferring, it's just Biology is the best degree I could've chosen for myself in regards to my interests and academic-wise, it's very broad and has parts of all the other degrees incorporated, I don't want to study it but at the same time studying it, puts me in a very good academic position, the other degrees I sort of like the sound of, feel like a step down and so I'm always thinking I'm just being stupid trying to transfer from a Biology degree which I worked very hard to get into just to throw such a good opportunity away.

If I went back to college, and had the same Biology teacher I had before, I just KNOW I'd love it again and everything would seem interesting so this makes me wonder if it's just the independent learning/lectures making me dislike it or if it's the content. Sorry I'm just so confused.

Fair enough, I do get where you're coming from. Well, in second/third year, there is generally more choice involved in terms of modules. So you could tailor your modules to exactly what you enjoy? Independent learning can be a bitch. I think you should just see out this year, speaking to tutors etc about how you feel the course is going.
If only you acted sooner! My boyfriend was doing English Literature, but soon found out that he highly disliked it at University level, so, with ALOT OF HASSLE he switched onto the history course at the UNI.
You seem to be doing biology because you think it will be good for your future. However, if you are studying it now and you hate it what will make you want to work in that area either? I suggest you talk to your tutors and take a good look at other courses that are available to you. Doing it now, during your first year, will mean you have the option of taking another first year if you need to in regards to funding.

Although this might not be possible... but maybe you should drop out of uni..and just think carefully about what you like or dislike..you said before..you never had a burning passion for any other subject..but maybe taking sometime out of the life of academia will make you think clearer.....
because you might feel more anxious about transferring to another subject when you havent got a burning passion for anything just yet..

I hope i didnt make you feel worse...
:s-smilie:
Talk to you tutor, before hand do some research to see what you would rather do and if your current uni does that course.
Reply 12
DO you know an alternative course you want to do, you can still change course in the first year provided they are spaces on the course you want and you meet the grade requirements and can convince the other course to take you own

I wasn't sure about my course at first, mainly because i thought I wouldn't be smart enough but after the first semester exams I feel like I will be able to cope.
If only you acted sooner! My boyfriend was doing English Literature, but soon found out that he highly disliked it at University level, so, with ALOT OF HASSLE he switched onto the history course at the UNI.

I know but I thought I'd just get over it eventually, or that maybe it was just a phase because everything was so new and I hadn't settled in yet or something, but it seems like I'm in the same position I was back in September, except I have done a lot more of the work now.
Original post by Muttley79
You've got nothing to lose by going to see your academic mentor about which degrees you could transfer to. At least you will know what the options are and they may be able to suggest something you haven't thought of.

Yeah okay thank you, I'll try and find them as soon as I can so at least I know what options are available to me. I do intend on completing my first year in Biology as my exams are in May and I've already completed a lot of the coursework and most of my revision anyway, so if I fail I know it isn't for me and if I don't fail, that leaves the other degree options available to me.
Original post by blackmarshmallow
Although this might not be possible... but maybe you should drop out of uni..and just think carefully about what you like or dislike..you said before..you never had a burning passion for any other subject..but maybe taking sometime out of the life of academia will make you think clearer.....
because you might feel more anxious about transferring to another subject when you havent got a burning passion for anything just yet..

I hope i didnt make you feel worse...
:s-smilie:

No it's fine don't worry. I've just never liked any subject that much, not even Biology, it was just the one I disliked the least. Even during my A-levels, I couldn't decide what to choose because I felt very neutral towards every A-level subject on offer so I just went ahead and picked 2 sciences, an arts subject and maths which left nearly every degree open to me - making it even more difficult to narrow down my degree choice. I mean, my personal statement was initially going to be me applying for English Literature, then I changed it to Chemistry, THEN joint Biology and Chemistry.. and now Biology so I'm not the most decisive person and if I just drop out, I will regret it a lot.
Original post by HYI52N
DO you know an alternative course you want to do, you can still change course in the first year provided they are spaces on the course you want and you meet the grade requirements and can convince the other course to take you own

I wasn't sure about my course at first, mainly because i thought I wouldn't be smart enough but after the first semester exams I feel like I will be able to cope.

I think it will be too late to transfer now as so much content has been covered, I am hoping to complete my first year in Biology as my exams are in May and I've done quite a lot of the work already so I may as well sit the exams. I hope I feel the same way as you after my exams in May, if I do pass these exams then that'll convince me I can continue with this I guess.

Maybe it is the independent learning that is the problem? "Independent learning" will not usually mean locking yourself away in a closed environment and studying only from books, articles and your own investigations. In practically every career you will be working alongside others and exchanging ideas widely (and in many professions, expected to do so, in order to keep yourself up to date).

Have you talked much to others on the course? What parts do they enjoy? Can you get together with some others a few times a week to share the workload and put some context to the topics that are being studied? You might find that some of these relationships match the one you had with college teacher.
Go see your tutor, but first try to work out why you aren't connecting with the subject. Nothing worse than turning up and having nothing to say. I know I loved mammalian cell biology and found botany so dull. if its a modular course see what modules you can do next and if they sound good it might be worth sticking it out. If not you could look into transferring to a more specific course eg molecular biology, pharmacology, biomedical, biochemistry, botany, physiology etc etc... Also are enjoying university in general? You might be blaming your course for other problems and not realising it. Only say this because you loved the subject at A level and first year tends to be a re-cap.
Original post by earthworm
Go see your tutor, but first try to work out why you aren't connecting with the subject. Nothing worse than turning up and having nothing to say. I know I loved mammalian cell biology and found botany so dull. if its a modular course see what modules you can do next and if they sound good it might be worth sticking it out. If not you could look into transferring to a more specific course eg molecular biology, pharmacology, biomedical, biochemistry, botany, physiology etc etc... Also are enjoying university in general? You might be blaming your course for other problems and not realising it. Only say this because you loved the subject at A level and first year tends to be a re-cap.

Yes I'll do some more research as to what other courses I can transfer to and if it is even worth transferring or if I should just continue onwards. Hmm.. about enjoying university in general, I wouldn't really say I enjoy or or dislike it to be honest, it's just like a job almost to me, I turn up, do what I'm supposed to do (like listen to the lecture) and go home. The thing is I am commuting at the moment, meaning I travel around 2 hours to get there and 2 hours to get back so tomorrow I'll be up at 6:30am to catch the 7:30am bus, and I'll be home at 7:30pm at night! I usually come home pretty exhausted and stressed, the last thing I feel like doing is more work so that could be an issue too (not all days are this hectic).

Latest

Trending

Trending