The Student Room Group

Climate change and by extension global warming is a ruse

Discuss!

Scroll to see replies

There is no conclusive evidence for or against global warming. No matter how objectively you read in to it.

It disgusts me that people voice their opinion on the subject based on their political alliance; it is a scientific debate not a political one.

Anyone who claims to know conclusively either way is a liar.
No matter how much you don't want it to be true, sticking your fingers in your ears and talking about statistical fluctuations doesn't make the science any less valid. If we do nothing to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases then the consequences will probably be more terrible than I can imagine. It may already be too late to save some people and we may be beyond the point of no return but we can at least try to mitigate the coming disasters. The first step in that is recognising the overwhelming evidence in favour of anthropogenic climate change.

Tl;dr - no, and ignoring the science because it disagrees with your political views is putting millions of lives at risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really believe when it comes to global warming, it is more of just a natural cycle the planet goes through.
Original post by Rock Fan
I really believe when it comes to global warming, it is more of just a natural cycle the planet goes through.

I am more inclined towards this but I am still open minded. It is still inconclusive and both rightists and leftists make me sick with their own political agendas on the subject
Original post by Native To Europe
I am more inclined towards this but I am still open minded. It is still inconclusive and both rightists and leftists make me sick with their own political agendas on the subject

I certainly think our weather has become more extreme, but yeah I also think it's just an excuse for the government to tax us even more.
I certainly think our weather has become more extreme, but yeah I also think it's just an excuse for the government to tax us even more.

Extreme to what. Records are getting more courage and in a chaotic system such as weather it has to have good and bad years.

I'm undecided. But ill recycle and reduce waste where possible.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Extreme to what. Records are getting more courage and in a chaotic system such as weather it has to have good and bad years.

I'm undecided. But ill recycle and reduce waste where possible.

More that we seem to be getting days where we have 4 seasons in one. One example was bank holiday in August when it was freezing and really windy, while say December it was mild and sunny. This seems to be happening more often. Doesn't seem to be proper seasons at the moment in the UK.
More that we seem to be getting days where we have 4 seasons in one. One example was bank holiday in August when it was freezing and really windy, while say December it was mild and sunny. This seems to be happening more often. Doesn't seem to be proper seasons at the moment in the UK.

Been seen before.

I often think though how much of what you've described is a phenomena of 24 hour media.

Weather bomb anybody?

Horrendous stirms on East Coast of America.......in a hundred years.......what was different 100 years ago.
Been seen before.

I often think though how much of what you've described is a phenomena of 24 hour media.

Weather bomb anybody?

Horrendous stirms on East Coast of America.......in a hundred years.......what was different 100 years ago.

Well it's true that the media hype and sensationalised a lot of it, the Express seems to be the worst for it. Like snow, they call it doomsday. I mean it's not like we haven't had snow before in the winter.
Well it's true that the media hype and sensationalised a lot of it, the Express seems to be the worst for it. Like snow, they call it doomsday. I mean it's not like we haven't had snow before in the winter.

And the bbc. I'm still waiting for the ice free North pole that should've happened last year and the Maldives being under water.
And the bbc. I'm still waiting for the ice free North pole that should've happened last year and the Maldives being under water.

Oh yeah they said at one point by this point the North Pole would have no ice, find it funny how they changed their forecast to like 2050 now.
Oh yeah they said at one point by this point the North Pole would have no ice, find it funny how they changed their forecast to like 2050 now.

That however is my concern. Politics has been brought into a scientific debate.
You mean ... we might turn to renewable energy which doesn't pollute the ocean, destroy rainforests, and make us depend on the Middle East for no reason?!

Belief has absolutely no place in this argument! What you believe is utterly irrelevant, since science has proven that your beliefs are completely and utterly wrong... I don't get why people seem to think their beliefs get precedence over fact..
What gets me we hear this mildest winter on record, how do we know there wasn't a warmer winter before we had these records.
Original post by Skip_Snip
You mean ... we might turn to renewable energy which doesn't pollute the ocean, destroy rainforests, and make us depend on the Middle East for no reason?!

And is expensive, actually does pollute but we choose to ignore the open cast mines in other parts of then world and so far have never met targets.
Original post by Chlorophile
Belief has absolutely no place in this argument! What you believe is utterly irrelevant, since science has proven that your beliefs are completely and utterly wrong... I don't get why people seem to think their beliefs get precedence over fact..

Science has not proved the case either way. It is still completely inconclusive!
Original post by Native To Europe
Science has not proved the case either way. It is still completely inconclusive!

...Every single national scientific body completely agreeing that there is conclusive evidence and 97% of the academic community agreeing is "inconclusive"?
Original post by Chlorophile
...Every single national scientific body completely agreeing that there is conclusive evidence and 97% of the academic community agreeing is "inconclusive"?

source ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending