The Student Room Group

Does it matter how many A levels I end up with?

At the end of the current academic year, I will have 2 complete A levels. I want to go to Open University, so it doesn't matter how many qualifications I have for uni.

But, will employers be bothered that I only have 2, or does it not matter?

I could stay on at college for a third year, to complete an AS i am studying, but I don't want to unless I have to.
Universities that offer grade entry's suxh as AAA will only take into consideration 3 A-levels
But i know people who are applying to university still but ones that work of points rather than actual grades
Original post by hycurrie
Universities that offer grade entry's suxh as AAA will only take into consideration 3 A-levels

I know, and since my primary choice of Uni, is the Open university, which doesn't really require any qualifications.

I'm mainly wondering if only having 2 a levels will affect my job prospects after/during uni.
Well once you go to uni and get a degree people are going to focus on your degree rather than your a levels.
Reply 5
Original post by skasisparadigm
At the end of the current academic year, I will have 2 complete A levels. I want to go to Open University, so it doesn't matter how many qualifications I have for uni.

But, will employers be bothered that I only have 2, or does it not matter?

I could stay on at college for a third year, to complete an AS i am studying, but I don't want to unless I have to.

I am going to university in September and I don't have no A levels, it is possible :smile:
Original post by hycurrie
Well once you go to uni and get a degree people are going to focus on your degree rather than your a levels.

Thank you! I've been worrying about it, so this has helped me put my mind at ease.
Some graduate schemes filter on points or grades across three.

So for some jobs you may be at a disadvantage. But in the end once you have a degree that becomes most important.

Really depends what sector you're looking to go into. If you were to continue further study (masters/phD) your A-Levels would become even less important.
Original post by amieyxox
I am going to university in September and I don't have no A levels, it is possible :smile:

Phew. Thank you!
Most universities/employers want you to have three A-levels, so it will put you at some disadvantage. You might be able to balance this if you do well in your degree.

Having three is generally a very good idea, but having more than that won't help or hinder you. Therefore at least three is good to have.
Original post by Comeback
Some graduate schemes filter on points or grades across three.

So for some jobs you may be at a disadvantage. But in the end once you have a degree that becomes most important.

Really depends what sector you're looking to go into. If you were to continue further study (masters/phD) your A-Levels would become even less important.

Well, I want to study humanities, and I'm looking at becoming a Librarian or an archivist, and I do want to get a masters degree, so what you said helps, a lot. Thank you!
Original post by morgan8002
Most universities/employers want you to have three A-levels, so it will put you at some disadvantage. You might be able to balance this if you do well in your degree.

Having three is generally a very good idea, but having more than that won't help or hinder you. Therefore at least three is good to have.

One thing with doing 4 is that you can put your best three on your CV and leave the lowest out (if applicable).

Or if you did General Studies/Critical Thinking too and one of your choices accepted that as one of your three (so you have a fall back).
Original post by Comeback
One thing with doing 4 is that you can put your best three on your CV and leave the lowest out (if applicable).

Or if you did General Studies/Critical Thinking too and one of your choices accepted that as one of your three (so you have a fall back).

Or you could get 4/5 good grades in respected subjects.

Is it safe to assume that my A levels will be less important to employers if I have an undergraduate degree and possibly a master's degree?
Original post by skasisparadigm
Is it safe to assume that my A levels will be less important to employers if I have an undergraduate degree and possibly a master's degree?

Less important, but they will still look at them.
Or you could get 4/5 good grades in respected subjects.

Well yes, that would be by far the most preferable but it's also far more unrealistic. The vast majority of people trying 5 traditional subjects at A-Level will probably not do nearly as well as if they had done 3 or 4.

Quick Reply

Latest