The Student Room Group
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website

Primary Education Interview

Has anyone had an interview for Primary Education at Canterbury Christ Church?? Any chance someone could briefly outline what happened/ how it went?
What is the "group presentation based on a written task"?
Does that mean you have a written test, then you have to present based on it??
As you can see, I'm freaking out haha. My interview is in just under two weeks.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bethnonsense
Has anyone had an interview for Primary Education at Canterbury Christ Church?? Any chance someone could briefly outline what happened/ how it went?
What is the "group presentation based on a written task"?
Does that mean you have a written test, then you have to present based on it??
As you can see, I'm freaking out haha. My interview is in just under two weeks.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

What day is yours?! I have mine on the 11th of Feb and I'm freaking out too!
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website
I have had a Primary Interview and was asked to take an item to discuss and to do a written exam. When going over interviewing techniques with people I was told to basically just try and sound a fluent as possible and to try not to sound like a robot, after all they are going to be looking at the way in which you relay information rather than the information itself necessarily. But on the same hand try and make it something you are genuinely interested it as your true enthusiasm for the topic should shine through and if you do slip up you can almost blag your way through it through your own opinions. If i were put in your position I would maybe talk about a children book (such as the BFG which I wrote about in my written exam for my interview) and say how you liked it when you were little and maybe say that you’ve read it to the children of a primary school age and say that you enjoy it even as an adult and talk about the things it brings up and teaches the children.

But over all just try and relax and be yourself and don’t forget to smile :smile:

Sorry if that hasn't helped at all but hopefully it does. Good Luck
Original post by emilyhammans
What day is yours?! I have mine on the 11th of Feb and I'm freaking out too!

4th Feb :confused:
Original post by hycurrie
I have had a Primary Interview and was asked to take an item to discuss and to do a written exam. When going over interviewing techniques with people I was told to basically just try and sound a fluent as possible and to try not to sound like a robot, after all they are going to be looking at the way in which you relay information rather than the information itself necessarily. But on the same hand try and make it something you are genuinely interested it as your true enthusiasm for the topic should shine through and if you do slip up you can almost blag your way through it through your own opinions. If i were put in your position I would maybe talk about a children book (such as the BFG which I wrote about in my written exam for my interview) and say how you liked it when you were little and maybe say that you’ve read it to the children of a primary school age and say that you enjoy it even as an adult and talk about the things it brings up and teaches the children.

But over all just try and relax and be yourself and don’t forget to smile :smile:

Sorry if that hasn't helped at all but hopefully it does. Good Luck

Was this an interview at Canterbury Christ Church??
Reply 5
Has anybody got an interview at derby for primary education?
Original post by bethnonsense
Was this an interview at Canterbury Christ Church??

No sorry mine was for Bristol Uwe.. but I got it :smile:
Reply 7
Awh well done! In my interview I've got to do maths and English tests, have a group interview either about the new national curriculum or phonics and then got to have a single interview.. Could you help or give me any advice? :smile:
Original post by ellioote
Awh well done! In my interview I've got to do maths and English tests, have a group interview either about the new national curriculum or phonics and then got to have a single interview.. Could you help or give me any advice? :smile:

I had all of those things too, my tips would be
Don't be afaraid to be the first person to talk in a group interview
Try not to talk over oe inturupt anyone
Smile and be as relaxed as possible
Get a question in mind flr when they say "do you have any questions?"
Reply 9
Oh ok what did you talk about in your group interview? And what sort of things do they ask you in the maths and English tests? And I haven't thought of one yet what did you ask them? :wink:
Oh ok what did you talk about in your group interview? And what sort of things do they ask you in the maths and English tests? And I haven't thought of one yet what did you ask them? :wink:

I think we had to talk about different experiences we had had in a classroom and different techniques we had picked up and stuff along those lines, and basically they would throw in different bits for us to discuss nothing too taxing in means of hard to talk about, if that makes sense. For our single interview we basically were asked why we wanted to be a teacher. As we were running late we had our single interviews,with others in the room and luckoly i was,last everyone had kind of gave the same,answer witg someonw,actually giving the answer of "well the same as everyone else really" so i kind of took a different spin on it. Try and stand out positively. We also had a presentation on a object we had bought in.

My question wasnt a big one it was about how do you decide what subject you specalise in ? So basically something trival about the course.

The tests,we were told to do were to right about your favourite child's book. I chose the BFG after my mind went totally blank and our maths question was we were given a piece of childs working on a maths problem and he had fo identify where they had gone wrong and why. For eaxh questiob we were only given a sode of A4 papaer and were asked not to go over that.

I've also done an EPQ with the topic of education which was a good talking point so if you have done anything anything at all like look after a little brother or sister its worth a mention.
Reply 11
Has anybody got an interview at derby for primary education?

yeh I do and im really nervous...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Mell567
yeh I do and im really nervous...

What date is yours on? Im really nervous too!
Reply 13
What date is yours on? Im really nervous too!

Mine is tomorrow. what about you?
Reply 14
Mines on the 4th of Feb. Good luck! Let me know how it goes please! What have you done to prepare for it?
Reply 15
Not much just reading up the three topic areas at the moment for the group interview
Reply 16
Ok well let me know what you have had to do in the interview please :smile:
Reply 17
Ok well let me know what you have had to do in the interview please :smile:

Yeh will do. Fingers crossed it goes well :crossedf:
Reply 18
Original post by Mell567
Yeh will do. Fingers crossed it goes well :crossedf:

Good luck :smile:
Reply 19