The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airfairy
Can I ask the same question as I asked Ratchit - did they ask if you would start in July, before or after the interview? Well done btw!

They said at the end of the interview that I can come in July as a sort of r&r allowance to get to know staff and get settled in. I saw it as a perk so I said yes, but I think it would have been alright if I said I could only start in September.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Welcome to the downside of teaching holidays.

I teach secondary, so it may be different for primary, but it's not usual for us. (Don't recall it ever happening.)

I think it depends where you are geographically. We have given every NQT a July start for the last 10 years.
Original post by Mr M
I think it depends where you are geographically. We have given every NQT a July start for the last 10 years.

Really? Oh well, another point at which I am at variance with the world, then. Maybe our place can't (or won't) afford to pay them over the holidays. Actually, I bet that's it.
Is it possible to meet all of your standard in the second placement alone? It seems I did not organised my QTS folder as well as I could have on my first placement. To be honest, I did not have a clue of what was going on during my first placement. Thankfully, I now know what is going on.
Original post by Mr M

What do the NQTs do in July? Will I teach and take a full timetable of lessons?
Original post by Chewyy
What do the NQTs do in July? Will I teach and take a full timetable of lessons?

You might have a programme of induction, get to know your Department, help out a bit, get involved with Schemes of Work, take on one or two classes you will have the following year ...
Feeling a bit crap about jobs today. I mean, I don't even think I want to teach my subject at 11-16 level, but I at least want the option after putting myself through the PGCE!

There's only been a couple of jobs come up and for every job it has specified that you must have an R.E. degree. This has really pissed me off, to be blunt. Why let me on the course with a politics degree if I won't be able to get a job anyway? I blame the uni for that rather than the schools.

So yeah...feeling pretty hopeless. I'm not praying that a politics A-Level job comes up in my area, but I wouldn't bet on that.
Original post by Mr M
You might have a programme of induction, get to know your Department, help out a bit, get involved with Schemes of Work, take on one or two classes you will have the following year ...

Ok thanks :smile:
Ah okay, that is interesting to know, thanks. I guess in that situation, I'd just have to say yes, even though I wouldn't want to :ninja: .

Can I ask the same question as I asked Ratchit - did they ask if you would start in July, before or after the interview? Well done btw!

Of the two jobs I've interviewed for, both stated the start in their advertisement - one July and the other September.
I have got some 'enrichment weeks' coming up soon, where I go back to my first placement school to work on targets/collect data for my assignments etc, and I am really not looking forward to it, but I'm not use why. I think I would rather be starting somewhere new, instead of that awkward thing of knowing people to see, but not well enough to have a conversation with. Plus the school is very clique-y, and I am a shy person so it takes me a while to get comfortable with people I don't know.

There is not a structure to the weeks, we are supposed to organise it ourselves. The thought of teaching again, especially classes I have not built up a relationship with (I am doing primary) is making me anxious. I think I am at the low point of the course, I am just feeling a bit down about the whole thing, for no reason in particular. Just needed a bit of a moan :frown:
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Having a part time job at the same time will kill you. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do the PGCE so anything on top of that is probably going to be too much.

I barely even see my family now and I have a couple of hours a week where I just sit down with my fiancée and that's a luxury that many don't seem to have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by qwerty_mad
I think that may be pushing it. I did the PGCE last year and worked 9 hours a week and at times 12. It's doable but it needs good organisation and, if you're lucky, mentors who don't expect that much from you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I guess I'll just see how I go :smile:
Original post by adastraz
. I think I am at the low point of the course, I am just feeling a bit down about the whole thing, for no reason in particular. Just needed a bit of a moan :frown:

I feel exactly the same. :frown: It's been a hard month!
Question for you guys - what is the maximum number of miles/amount of time that you would consider commuting for a job?

There are very few jobs coming up in my area at the moment, and I've seen a good looking job 40 miles away. So that's an 80 miles trip every day...

I would move there but I don't fancy it around there at all. Just wondered if that would be too much for you guys or if I'm being a wimp? :lol: . I think in my head 30 miles was the limit, because that's what I commute to uni and that annoying.
I'm looking within 40 minutes travel time each way at the moment. I'd push to an hour for an amazing job if I had to...but I don't drive at the moment and anticipate doing so within the next year so I have in mind that the time could be reduced eventually.
Question for you guys - what is the maximum number of miles/amount of time that you would consider commuting for a job?

There are very few jobs coming up in my area at the moment, and I've seen a good looking job 40 miles away. So that's an 80 miles trip every day...

I would move there but I don't fancy it around there at all. Just wondered if that would be too much for you guys or if I'm being a wimp? :lol: . I think in my head 30 miles was the limit, because that's what I commute to uni and that annoying.

In all my jobs, there have been one or two people who commuted more than that, but tbh we have all regarded them as mental. My first two jobs were 25 and 17 miles each way, all motorway, which was perfectly doable, and my current one is 6 on local roads. The last is infinitely preferable. You need to think about attending parents' evenings and other school events, plus the cost of all that petrol. If it's the ideal job, consider moving half way. It'd be too much for me, I have to say.

I'd say 90 mins each way for a full time job; I've had jobs were I travelled more than an hour each way on public transport. I live not far from Liverpool and I know people who have commuted to Leeds (via car).

---------

Looks like I will be dropping out shortly. I've been informed that it is unlikely I'll be completing my 100 hours by the end of the course. I've been told that I can complete the remaining teaching hours in September however I won't get paid for them and I won't be able to claim any benefits or student loan.
I'd say 45 minutes max (each way) but would avoid it.

When I got my current job I lived about 40 minutes away, but it could easily become an hour if traffic was bad (and since then there have been major roadworks so it would have frequently been bad).

I moved for the job - I now live 10 miles from my job (a nice 20 minute drive down country lanes) and 20 minutes from where I used to live and where most of my friends are, which is fine.

I am so glad not to spend 10 hours of my week driving.

I suggest you apply for the job (just for the interview experience, if nothing else). See how the journey to the interview is and decide if you're willing to do it. Then if you're offered the job you can consider moving.
Original post by gemmam
I'd say 90 mins each way for a full time job; I've had jobs were I travelled more than an hour each way on public transport. I live not far from Liverpool and I know people who have commuted to Leeds (via car).

---------

Looks like I will be dropping out shortly. I've been informed that it is unlikely I'll be completing my 100 hours by the end of the course. I've been told that I can complete the remaining teaching hours in September however I won't get paid for them and I won't be able to claim any benefits or student loan.

That's absolutely ridiculous! Have you complained?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
That's absolutely ridiculous! Have you complained?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not yet but I'm going to. I'm also looking into transferring and completing it somewhere else.
Original post by gemmam

---------

are they not willing to help with getting the hours? are other people on the course having the same problem? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending