The Student Room Group

Both my parents haven't worked since the 1980s and I've got a Cambridge offer AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asexual Demigod
? There is no such thing as an A** as far as I'm aware. So I did get the highest grades... You're just making yourself sound stupid now.

Highest grade/score/UMS. The point is you didn't achieve it.

Thousands of other people did better than at A-level. How does this make you feel? :holmes:
Original post by Plastic Face
What's your point?

That saying others have significant personal problems isn't a legitimate excuse for poor A Level attainment.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Highest grade/score/UMS. The point is you didn't achieve it.

Thousands of other people did better than at A-level. How does this make you feel? :holmes:

Grades are not the same as score/UMS so you can't say I got lower the highest grade, because I didn't.

I don't care to be honest. I did 3 and got the highest grades in all three. I'm at a top university so I don't care.
That saying others have significant personal problems isn't a legitimate excuse for poor A Level attainment.

Do you not see the problem with what you're saying here?
Grades are not the same as score/UMS so you can't say I got lower the highest grade, because I didn't.

I don't care to be honest. I did 3 and got the highest grades in all three. I'm at a top university so I don't care.

I'm surprised you didn't get shot down for bragging so much at your uni but I imagine that you don't have anyone to brag to, or just that you only talk the talk online because you lack confidence? :holmes:

Anyway have fun with your A*'s, when you get a job you'll understand their not really important :rolleyes:
Do you not see the problem with what you're saying here?

No?
No?

Your argument is based on a fallacy of composition ( I think!) Just because you managed to get good grades while having problems doesn't mean everyone else should too. You're not recognising the complexity of other people's life's, which are all completely different to your own :frown:
Your argument is based on a fallacy of composition ( I think!) Just because you managed to get good grades while having problems doesn't mean everyone else should too. You're not recognising the complexity of other people's life's, which are all completely different to your own :frown:

I don't know why you expect me to care?
I don't know why you expect me to care?

I'm not asking you to care. I'd hoped your acclaimed intelligence would have enabled you to recognise this, and prevented you from making hasty generalisations.
this has to be one of the funniest threads ive read lol

im not sure anyone cares xD

What university and what course are you both doing?

Im just wondering now xD
I'm not asking you to care. I'd hoped your acclaimed intelligence would have enabled you to recognise this, and prevented you from making hasty generalisations.

I never claimed to have an "acclaimed intelligence" though? It's a cognitive bias, not an indicator of stupidity.
Original post by Yellow636
this has to be one of the funniest threads ive read lol

im not sure anyone cares xD

What university and what course are you both doing?

Im just wondering now xD

They're just attacking me out of their own sense of insecurity and wanting to bring me down a peg. I don't even know why I'm rising to it to be honest.
I never claimed to have an "acclaimed intelligence" though? It's a cognitive bias, not an indicator of stupidity.

Whatever.

So where do you study?

Highly unlikely you'd be going to Oxbridge with your faulty cognition.
Original post by grassntai

you look very pretty here. i think you'd be a very beautiful drag queen

OT: why don't your parents work? what is your career aspiration? have you always had a flair for academia? what motivates you?

R u Felix?

You look familiar
"Omg I got A* grades look at me"

Hey

Guess what?

You're still going to die and rot in the ground or burn in a cremation oven. :smile:
Their loss. And that just goes to show how much more dedicated and motivated I am compared to others.

How do you motivate yourself to study and get the highest grades? I've always had a dilemma with motivation when it comes to studying; is it the satisfaction of succeeding which motivates you or something else?
Original post by All_TheCyanide
"Omg I got A* grades look at me"

Hey

Guess what?

You're still going to die and rot in the ground or burn in a cremation oven. :smile:

And so are stupid people. It doesn't mean we should all take that attitude, be slackers and achieve nothing academically.
Original post by Kyou
How do you motivate yourself to study and get the highest grades? I've always had a dilemma with motivation when it comes to studying; is it the satisfaction of succeeding which motivates you or something else?

The motivation comes from within so I can't really give you it. But yes, motivation to succeed and make something of my life compels me to work hard and do well.
And so are stupid people. It doesn't mean we should all take that attitude, be slackers and achieve nothing academically.

Not getting all A* grades doesn't mean you're stupid. Thinking that is pretty stupid, though.

No. What it does mean is that instead of spending all your time clinging to a text book or belittling people who can't get top grades, you should spend your time trying to make life as full as it can be while you still have it. Enjoy yourself. Getting all A* grades means nothing when you're dead.

My uncle, for example, died very suddenly at the age of 34. Did his GCSE and A Level grades matter then? No.

You can live a full life without all A* grades.
Original post by All_TheCyanide
Not getting all A* grades doesn't mean you're stupid. Thinking that is pretty stupid, though.

Sorry, I meant lazy then as clearly no intelligence is required in academia. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest