The Student Room Group

Both my parents haven't worked since the 1980s and I've got a Cambridge offer AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asexual Demigod
Sorry, I meant lazy then as clearly no intelligence is required in academia. :rolleyes:

You have a very narrow view of what intelligence is.

Not getting 14 A* grades doesn't make you unintelligent.
Original post by All_TheCyanide
Not getting all A* grades doesn't mean you're stupid. Thinking that is pretty stupid, though.

No. What it does mean is that instead of spending all your time clinging to a text book or belittling people who can't get top grades, you should spend your time trying to make life as full as it can be while you still have it. Enjoy yourself. Getting all A* grades means nothing when you're dead.

My uncle, for example, died very suddenly at the age of 34. Did his GCSE and A Level grades matter then? No.

You can live a full life without all A* grades.

They do matter: they allow you to get into a good university. A good university means you can get a graduate degree at a well-funded university. This means you can get a career in academia with a team of equally/more high-achieving people and potentially make a groundbreaking discovery.
That would certainly matter once you died, and it would boil down to previous academic achievement.
Original post by StarvingAutist
They do matter: they allow you to get into a good university. A good university means you can get a graduate degree at a well-funded university. This means you can get a career in academia with a team of equally/more high-achieving people and potentially make a groundbreaking discovery.
That would certainly matter once you died, and it would boil down to previous academic achievement.

Thank you.
You have a very narrow view of what intelligence is.

Not getting 14 A* grades doesn't make you unintelligent.

You're engaging in black and white thinking. I didn't say it is the only thing that makes you intelligent, I merely implied that it requires at least some degree of intelligence. Of course you can be highly intelligent and do badly academically, it's just less common in my experience as highly intelligent people don't have to work hard to do well. You could call it "academic intelligence" - just one of many different forms of intelligence. :smile:

Yes, because not getting all A* grades really means you're destined to study at a crap uni.

And I'm sat here, as a student with 2 A* grades at GCSE, with an offer to study at Warwick (and others with 14 A* grades have the same offer as me).

You don't need all A* grades to get into an amazing university.

And there are plenty of people who have made "groundbreaking discoveries" who didn't achieve much academically.

Einstein was called "stupid" by his school teachers. I think this quote from him sums it up perfectly:
“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
You're engaging in black and white thinking. I didn't say it is the only thing that makes you intelligent, I merely implied that it requires at least some degree of intelligence. Of course you can be highly intelligent and do badly academically, it's just less common in my experience as highly intelligent people don't have to work hard to do well. You could call it "academic intelligence" - just one of many different forms of intelligence. :smile:

Fair enough, but even highly intelligent people can have weaknesses in subject areas. Mine was always maths, and some of the most intelligent students at my school couldn't do English to save their lives.

My point is, there will always be variation in grades and making people feel bad about them is wrong. Life is way too short to be hung up over grades to the point where it consumes your life.

A Levels are a bit different, but GCSE grades are fine. You don't need all A* grades.
Yes, because not getting all A* grades really means you're destined to study at a crap uni.

And I'm sat here, as a student with 2 A* grades at GCSE, with an offer to study at Warwick (and others with 14 A* grades have the same offer as me).

And there are plenty of people who have made "groundbreaking discoveries" who didn't achieve much academically.

Einstein was called "stupid" by his school teachers. I think this quote from him sums it up perfectly:
“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

I don't think you need 14A*s to get into the best universities tbh. But i think you do need a good GCSE profile, say 5+ A's.

Furthermore, you need a good AS and A2 profile, which means you need to be academic. Very few people get A's at AS level in subjects they didn't achieve at least an A in at GCSE.

A Levels are a bit different, but GCSE grades are fine. You don't need all A* grades.

You do if you want to get into a top university.

Where are you applying????

I have an offer from Durham with only 5 A* GCSE and the rest A, and a D in French lol.

I know loads of people with good GCSE profiles, not 14A*s but good, and they also have offer from very good universities
Original post by Yellow636
I don't think you need 14A*s to get into the best universities tbh. But i think you do need a good GCSE profile, say 5+ A's.

Furthermore, you need a good AS and A2 profile, which means you need to be academic. Very few people get A's at AS level in subjects they didn't achieve at least an A in at GCSE.

Funnily enough, I got a C and an E at AS Level. The C is in the subject I want to study and the E is in a related subject I need for it...

I never said you need all A*s.. I only got 4 :lol:

Einstein had really good grades.

That quote also doesn't apply here: the guy I was responding to (edit: oh, that was you lmao) said that good grades don't matter once you're dead. My point was that scientific discoveries definitely matter, and good grades are necessary to have good research opportunities.

Of course (e.g.) Dostoevsky isn't worthless because he's an author not a scientist: I never said anything of the sort.
(edited 9 years ago)

No you don't. I've got an offer from Warwick and I only have 2 A* grades.
Funnily enough, I got a C and an E at AS Level. The C is in the subject I want to study and the E is in a related subject I need for it...

hahaha really?

Thats amazing, your personal statement must of been godlike xD.

What was your AS results? and what course @ Warwick?
No you don't. I've got an offer from Warwick and I only have 2 A* grades.

I don't literally mean all A*s. I just mean a good handful usually. I thought you were talking about A Level, sorry, as some do ask for all A*s at A Level i.e. Imperial give some harsh offers like A*A*A*A*. And there are better universities than Warwick... You're right about GCSEs though, they matter a lot less than A Level.
(edited 9 years ago)
hahaha really?

Not really Warwick hand out loads of offers. It's not really difficult to get in there.
I never said you need all A*s.. I only got 4 :lol:

Einstein had really good grades.

That quote also doesn't apply here: the guy I was responding to said that good grades don't matter once you're dead. My point was that scientific discoveries definitely matter, and good grades are necessary to have good research opportunities.

Of course (e.g.) Dostoevsky isn't worthless because he's an author not a scientist: I never said anything of the sort.

I'm not a guy. Don't assume that.

I'm well aware that scientific discoveries matter, I have plans to become a research scientist.

The A* comment was to Asexual Demigod, I meant to quote but my phone is a bit ****e.

Still, you don't need amazing grades to do that. Experience is important too. Devoting your life to studying could be a wasted endeavour, because then you don't enjoy life fully.
I'm not a guy. Don't assume that.

I'm well aware that scientific discoveries matter, I have plans to become a research scientist.

The A* comment was to Asexual Demigod, I meant to quote but my phone is a bit ****e.

Still, you don't need amazing grades to do that. Experience is important too. Devoting your life to studying could be a wasted endeavour, because then you don't enjoy life fully.

You can enjoy yourself and still be devoted to studying... Top academics are reasonably content and they dedicate their life to their research.
I don't literally mean all A*s. I just mean a good handful usually. I thought you were talking about A Level, sorry, as some do ask for more than 1 A* at A Level. And there are better universities than Warwick... You're right about GCSEs though, they matter a lot less than A Level.

It's still in the top 10 in the entire country though. And there was an article in 2013 about employers favouring it over Oxbridge.

Still, I only had 2. And I'm not suffering for it one bit. Had I worked harder, I'd have more, but I didn't want to put in the extra work.

Yes, unfortunately it really matters for A Levels. Depends where you're going, though, and a lot of it is simply down to competition.
hahaha really?

There was a lot of bull****ting in it. :,)

My AS results were ABCE.

Biological sciences c:
There was a lot of bull****ting in it. :,)

My AS results were ABCE.

Biological sciences c:

Personal statements are always full of that :biggrin:

I applied to Durham for Accounting and Finance

AS: AAAB

Quick Reply

Latest