The Student Room Group

Both my parents haven't worked since the 1980s and I've got a Cambridge offer AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by poorform
Not really Warwick hand out loads of offers. It's not really difficult to get in there.

Because loads of people get good grades or have good references. They have thousands of applications so of course they hand out loads of offers...

Regardless, it's still an amazing university. It just doesn't have the pretentiousness of Oxbridge.
Original post by All_TheCyanide
Because loads of people get good grades or have good references. They have thousands of applications so of course they hand out loads of offers...

Regardless, it's still an amazing university. It just doesn't have the pretentiousness of Oxbridge.

What makes you think the Oxbridge universities are pretentious? Are you just listening to what the media says?
Original post by Asexual Demigod
Yes, but it's less competitive and I'd assume you'd be pushed less there compared to Oxbridge - the work would also be comparatively easier and less broad. There isn't a supervision/tutorial system at Warwick, is there?

Only because Oxbridge have a reputation to uphold. If employers value Warwick as much as Oxbridge, why go for the harder (and more expensive) option?

I'm not actually sure. I could care less.
What makes you think the Oxbridge universities are pretentious? Are you just listening to what the media says?

Years of Oxbridge-prepping rhetoric from my schools and the inevitable snobbery of those who did get Oxbridge offers.

It's Oxbridge, the universities who often won't accept anything less than A* A* A*. Of course it's pretentious. People want to go there not only because of the quality of the education, but also just to say that they went there.
Only because Oxbridge have a reputation to uphold. If employers value Warwick as much as Oxbridge, why go for the harder (and more expensive) option?

I'm not actually sure. I could care less.

Actually, from what I've read, Oxbridge is cheaper (at least Cambridge is) than most universities in the UK. They give out bursaries to those from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and have lots of support available financially. As for going to the harder option? To push yourself.

Just asking as Oxbridge is lauded as having a unique way of teaching that is a huge asset to its students. Most universities don't have such an advantage as possible one-to-one supervisions with a highly-respected academic.
lol i wish i could go to oxbridge xD
what university do you go to Asexual Demigod?

im not sure you have said?
Years of Oxbridge-prepping rhetoric from my schools and the inevitable snobbery of those who did get Oxbridge offers.

It's Oxbridge, the universities who often won't accept anything less than A* A* A*. Of course it's pretentious. People want to go there not only because of the quality of the education, but also just to say that they went there.

While I agree with you that some students are like that, it doesn't hold for all students. Some people I know only had A*AA at A Level, so they do indeed accept less than A*A*A* at A Level. The standard offer for arts subjects is A*AA and for science subjects it is A*A*A at Cambridge. At Oxford, it is usually AAA or A*AA. The quality of the education alone is what motivates most to apply I'd imagine?
(edited 9 years ago)
While I agree with you that some students are like that, it doesn't hold for all students. Some of my friends only had A*AA at A Level, so they do indeed accept less than A*A*A* at A Level. The quality of the education alone is what motivates most to apply I'd imagine?

Id go to oxford, even if it was taught by an idiot, the accommodation was a box, and i had to pay twice the tuition fees. Just to put on my CV, that i have a degree from oxford lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Yellow636
Id go to oxford, even if it was taught by a dimwit, the accommodation was a box, and i had to pay twice the tuition fees. Just to put on my CV, that i have a degree from oxford lol

That's you, not everyone is the same.
That's you, not everyone is the same.

Im sure a lot would agree xD

beautiful university and amazing reputation.
Original post by CJKay
I have never heard of year 10 work experience. In my view, there is very little value any work experience could give you at that age.

A graduate job is experience.

Grades are not an indicator of anything but the ability to work in academia. There is no indication of potential whatsoever, and many people who get great grades go on to do nothing particularly spectacular. It demonstrates you have the ability to read a large book, then write about what you learned in that book which is, perhaps surprisingly to you, not that useful for the majority of jobs in the real world.

I'm sorry if I have disturbed your vision of what it means to be an animal.

You sound like somebody who has not performed extremely well in education and trying to shrug it off as not important.....
Actually, from what I've read, Oxbridge is cheaper (at least Cambridge is) than most universities in the UK. They give out bursaries to those from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and have lots of support available financially. As for going to the harder option? To push yourself.

Just asking as Oxbridge is lauded as having a unique way of teaching that is a huge asset to its students. Most universities don't have such an advantage as possible one-to-one supervisions with a highly-respected academic.

I'd imagine it's not cheap for everyone.

Perhaps so, but is having that really worth tearing your hair out over getting A and A* grades? Not in my opinion. I don't think I'll need supervision, I probably wouldn't want it as I'm very independent.

While I agree with you that some students are like that, it doesn't hold for all students. Some people I know only had A*AA at A Level, so they do indeed accept less than A*A*A* at A Level. The standard offer for arts subjects is A*AA and for science subjects it is A*A*A at Cambridge. At Oxford, it is usually AAA or A*AA. The quality of the education alone is what motivates most to apply I'd imagine?

Ooh, what a difference. Shocker, A* A A? Disgusting. (/sarcasm).

I mean- gasp- the odd B grade. I bet that'd make some noses turn.

If employers value other less academically pushy universities in as high a regard, why put yourself under that strain? If it's your type of thing, then sure. It certainly isn't mine. I love learning, but I don't cope well with extreme pressure.

Other universities offer very high standards of education too. You can get an excellent degree without it being Oxbridge.

There's a guy with an Oxford degree who has the same job as my dad. My dad got his degree from Cardiff.
Original post by billydisco
You sound like somebody who has not performed extremely well in education and trying to shrug it off as not important.....

That describes most people on this forum...

I thought you went to Cambridge? Or are we suffering from premature egotism? :holmes:
Original post by billydisco

Most of what was said in that post was partly true, have you ever had a real job? :holmes:
I'd imagine it's not cheap for everyone.

Perhaps so, but is having that really worth tearing your hair out over getting A and A* grades? Not in my opinion. I don't think I'll need supervision, I probably wouldn't want it as I'm very independent.

Ooh, what a difference. Shocker, A* A A? Disgusting. (/sarcasm).

I mean- gasp- the odd B grade. I bet that'd make some noses turn.

If employers value other less academically pushy universities in as high a regard, why put yourself under that strain? If it's your type of thing, then sure. It certainly isn't mine. I love learning, but I don't cope well with extreme pressure.

Other universities offer very high standards of education too. You can get an excellent degree without it being Oxbridge.

There's a guy with an Oxford degree who has the same job as my dad. My dad got his degree from Cardiff.

The difference between an A*AA and A*A*A* is massive actually. Same difference as ABB or BCC. I didn't pull my hair out or get too stressed over getting A*A*A* so...? Good for him. It just goes to show that some employers clearly don't care about university reputation. It matters for top law firms and academic positions though.
Come back for another pop? You're so cute. :biggrin:

:lolwut:

By not answering the question you confirm my hypothesis and make yourself look silly.

Well I'm not going to say anything more because last time I did you got offended and reported me :teehee:

Have fun trolling :hat2:
(edited 9 years ago)
The difference between an A*AA and A*A*A* is massive actually. Same difference as ABB or BCC. I didn't pull my hair out or get too stressed over getting A*A*A* so...? Good for him. It just goes to show that some employers clearly don't care about university reputation. It matters for top law firms and academic positions though.

Good for you. Maybe you've got a good home life and not many responsibilities. And maybe you had good teachers who teach the course content properly.

Hardly. A C looks a lot worse than a B. A* and A grades are both very very good. It's not exactly the same. And ABB looks a lot better than BCC. C grades just don't look good.

Perhaps that's true for some, but not all. I doubt that EVERY top law firm and academic position can only employ/ be taken up by Oxbridge students. This is exactly the kind of Oxbridge snobbery I wouldn't be able to handle.
Good for you. Maybe you've got a good home life and not many responsibilities. And maybe you had good teachers who teach the course content properly.

Hardly. A C looks a lot worse than a B. A* and A grades are both very very good. It's not exactly the same. And ABB looks a lot better than BCC. C grades just don't look good.

Perhaps that's true for some, but not all. I doubt that EVERY top law firm and academic position can only employ/ be taken up by Oxbridge students. This is exactly the kind of Oxbridge snobbery I wouldn't be able to handle.

Actually, most top law firms, as far as I'm aware, are mostly populated by Oxbridge graduates. They may take other students, but it's somewhat of a rarity.

Quick Reply

Latest