The Student Room Group

I never seem to get called good looking or intelligent, this makes me feel sad :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smash Bandicoot
There are few worse things than to be both undesirable and useless.

Good looking =/= undesirable, not being intelligent =/= useless
Original post by Blaq_widow
Nice spot of sexism there. Guys like you complain when you get sympathy compliments - "omg its so patronising when girls tell me I'm sweet" - yet when someone is actually honest and most importantly constructive, you don't want to hear it.

Your bitterness aside, what I said is true. It's all about basic branding - what separates you from every other person out there? You can't put a can of blank white label beans on the shelf and expect it to sell. In other words it's rare for people who make no effort to get compliments.

I work out, I have a 2.1 from an RG, I play 3 musical instruments, I'm training to be a teacher, I have played in bands and choirs, I'm.trained in first aid, I read a lot, I have done public readings, I have climbed Snowdon, I have been on the news.and performed with the Philharmonic in an arena, I have been to Berlin and Moscow. But this is not good enough it can never be good enough

So ylu admit sympathy compliments are lies?
I work out, I have a 2.1 from an RG, I play 3 musical instruments, I'm training to be a teacher, I have played in bands and choirs, I'm.trained in first aid, I read a lot, I have done public readings, I have climbed Snowdon, I have been on the news.and performed with the Philharmonic in an arena, I have been to Berlin and Moscow. But this is not good enough it can never be good enough

I think you need therapy. By which standards are you measuring 'good enough'?? What, for you, would be 'good enough' ?
Original post by infairverona
I think you need therapy. By which standards are you measuring 'good enough'?? What, for you, would be 'good enough' ?

Looks Money Status
Demonstration of financial and emotional security
bestowal of inherent virtues onto others eg partner
Looks Money Status
Demonstration of financial and emotional security
bestowal of inherent virtues onto others eg partner

Don't be a teacher then. Go into something with more money and buy yourself a new face

You sounded amazing up until the part in bold which is where you fall down. You have an inferiority complex; it is only you who feels it is not good enough. This then leads to diminished confidence, which then makes any of your plus points obsolete. People probably see your poor attitude and low confidence first before they've even got to know all the good stuff about you.

Sympathy compliments aren't always lies necessarily, but they don't address people's failings. Like it's very possible for a guy to be both sweet and socially inept. If you only tell him he's sweet you're not helping him understand that he needs to improve his social skills as well which is why I believe in tough love :tongue:
People delude themselves that they're better than tbey are all the time for ego and self esteem preservation.

You didn't, some other guy did, I mentioned someone told me to kill myself in the past while laughing anf how perhapd tbat is my fault for being a maghot which is what jnspored me i to my self improvement splurge which came to a crashing halt in 2010

Are you drunk at the wheel?
Original post by Profesh

Probably typing while he's driving. Or he's got huge thumbs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ive told him he needs therapy over and over again, it makes no difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe that's because you're not good looking or intelligent.
Reply 70

That's the way it goes.
Original post by Profesh

I typically type en route to work or heading back, exploring Wifi from various shops, i.e. on my phone.

In answer to your earlier response re: Foo, you wouldn't realise the discrepancy being 'Alpha' yourself (I heard your OKCupid won a Pulltzer?) 'Alpha' is simply ahigh-status, successful i.e. attractive person, in an oversimplified categorisation

Original post by Illegal Algebra
Probably typing while he's driving. Or he's got huge thumbs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tiny's thumbs crush you :wink:
Original post by Shostakovish
No. I don't think of my life as 'relatively insignificant' just because I am not complimented on my looks or intelligence. I have no doubt that I will be forgotten by millions, if they knew me, but those that do remember me, aka my family and friends, is what matters to me.

would you suggest I am consumed with lust for power and fame then?
Don't be a teacher then. Go into something with more money and buy yourself a new face

Aye it's a tricky one. Redpill has no soul mind.

Can you tell me where you were going what 'what do you consider good enough, when will you be good enough'?
Original post by Blaq_widow
You sounded amazing up until the part in bold which is where you fall down. You have an inferiority complex; it is only you who feels it is not good enough. This then leads to diminished confidence, which then makes any of your plus points obsolete. People probably see your poor attitude and low confidence first before they've even got to know all the good stuff about you.

Sympathy compliments aren't always lies necessarily, but they don't address people's failings. Like it's very possible for a guy to be both sweet and socially inept. If you only tell him he's sweet you're not helping him understand that he needs to improve his social skills as well which is why I believe in tough love :tongue:

Well I have not surprisingly semi-crippling social anxiety and a general anxiety disorder, I've been at high-intensity all of today, I mean Jesus I've been suggesting Spartan rule on another thread.

I am honestly surprised though, that you would compliment me about this, though flattered :smile: in the environment I've been in, people just pick apart your failings and remind you someone is always better than you.

OK, I understand that :tongue: buuut nonetheless telling OP his friends are paling in anonymity probably won't help him.
Original post by miser
That's the way it goes.

can you explain which is the way it goes, the last sentence of my post? :tongue:
Same! I don't feel bad about it though. I'm never going to be a stunner but that doesn't matter in the long run.
Original post by Mezza362
Same! I don't feel bad about it though. I'm never going to be a stunner but that doesn't matter in the long run.[/QUOTE]

why doesn't it matter?
Original post by Multitalented me
The main compliments I seem to receive from the few people that I know is that I'm nice/lovely/sweet/friendly/funny but yeah seemingly never the aforementioned two qualities, it would just make me feel kinda good if people could say that I'm handsome or intelligent as well :daydreaming: (& preferably not family or older people to be totally honest). Anyway I dunno why I made this thread really :erm: Anyone else who can empathise perhaps?...

You have a diamond inside of your heart,a light that shines bright as the stars. Don't be afraid to be all that you are, you'll be fine :h:
[QUOTE="Bandicoot;53260965" Smash="Smash"]
Original post by Mezza362
Same! I don't feel bad about it though. I'm never going to be a stunner but that doesn't matter in the long run.[/QUOTE]

why doesn't it matter?

Because looks don't matter much. Okay, maybe it makes life easier but very few people are stunning and cope just fine

Quick Reply

Latest