The Student Room Group

Am i too good for an apprenticeship?

Please note that this is not me bragging or demeaning apprenticeships. I have relatively good grades and i have gone on to do A levels and i have 3 A levels (business, english and ICT). I have just left university as it is not for me and i have got my eye on a vehicle body repair apprenticeship paying me £100 a week. People have told me that with the grades i have apprenticeships would be a waste as i could potentially earn more money than that simply by getting a job.

So is this true? What should i do? Apprenticeship or normal job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Reply 2
depending on what kind of apprenticeship you do depends on your earning scope.

for example, the OPITO apprenticeship your on 16k and 19k the 3rd and 4th year respectively, and after its 4 year completion you walk into roughly a 50k salary. a friend of mine recently graduated with from uni and is only on 40k and he had a lot of hassle trying to get work. He thought about doing that apprenticeship but decided on uni, he regrets not taking the apprenticeship over uni.
obviously a vehicle mechanic apprenticeship would be drastically different in terms of earning though.
Reply 3
Original post by Geezajob
depending on what kind of apprenticeship you do depends on your earning scope.

for example, the OPITO apprenticeship your on 16k and 19k the 3rd and 4th year respectively, and after its 4 year completion you walk into roughly a 50k salary. a friend of mine recently graduated with from uni and is only on 40k and he had a lot of hassle trying to get work. He thought about doing that apprenticeship but decided on uni, he regrets not taking the apprenticeship over uni.
obviously a vehicle mechanic apprenticeship would be drastically different in terms of earning though.

Funny you say that, I'm looking to do a vehicle mechanic apprenticeship, its what I'm interested in. But do you think i will stand out because of my qualifications and get chosen quickly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by maxi365
Funny you say that, I'm looking to do a vehicle mechanic apprenticeship, its what I'm interested in. But do you think i will stand out because of my qualifications and get chosen quickly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

your qualifications should definitely stand you in good stead to show you would have no trouble studying and doing the college part of the apprenticeship. Your age may be a factor that could go against you however for a standard apprenticeship, i'm assuming you're 18+? the older you are the more they have to pay you so they dont usually take on older applicants.
Have a look around for modern apprenticeships in mechanical areas not just focused on vehicle repair there is usually no age cap either. mechanical engineering for example. The pay for time served is substantially better in that field. Another of my friends was a mechanic in a garage for 4 years after finishing his apprenticeship when he was 20, now he is a diesel mechanic offshore making more than double of what he was originally on. If he had done a mechanical engineering apprenticeship he would've started off round about the salary he is on now. Alot better promotional aspects as well in his field of expertise now..
Most modern apprenticeships are taking applications now for august/september intake.
Reply 5
Original post by Geezajob
your qualifications should definitely stand you in good stead to show you would have no trouble studying and doing the college part of the apprenticeship. Your age may be a factor that could go against you however for a standard apprenticeship, i'm assuming you're 18+? the older you are the more they have to pay you so they dont usually take on older applicants.
Have a look around for modern apprenticeships in mechanical areas not just focused on vehicle repair there is usually no age cap either. mechanical engineering for example. The pay for time served is substantially better in that field. Another of my friends was a mechanic in a garage for 4 years after finishing his apprenticeship when he was 20, now he is a diesel mechanic offshore making more than double of what he was originally on. If he had done a mechanical engineering apprenticeship he would've started off round about the salary he is on now. Alot better promotional aspects as well in his field of expertise now..
Most modern apprenticeships are taking applications now for august/september intake.

Thanks, i already applied for a couple but there's one i really REALLY like. But there was a problem today as i broke my phone, and so he won't be able to contact me if i am successful (people tell me they call rather than email?). So i got a new phone and found the employers number (listed with the apprenticeship details) and messaged him on WhatsApp saying to call me on this number if i am successful and i ended with 'sorry to contact you like this'. Then an hour afterwards he read my message but didn't reply, but he definitely read it as there are two blue ticks. This is a bit worrying, did i do something wrong? I really want this particular apprenticeship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
yes the vast majority of apprenticeships are for people who have no qualifications to be exploited like slaves and work for less an hour than a cup of coffee costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending